Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

Bryanqwh

Jul 30, 2012
Singapore
Hi there :)

I wish to purchase a tripod and head and here are my requirements :)

Budget: <$350 (including head, preferably ball head)

Weight: <2kg if possible as I travel a lot

Mechanism:
Quick leg release (if possible)
Able to get as low as possible (I shoot macro)
Able to handle at least 5kg of weight
Sturdy and and handle camera in vertical position quite well

My height is about 167cm :)

Thanks in advance!!

P.s I know this is another recommendation thread :/ Sorry!

Hi there :)

I wish to purchase a tripod and head and here are my requirements :)

Budget: <$350 (including head, preferably ball head)

Weight: <2kg if possible as I travel a lot

Mechanism:
Quick leg release (if possible)
Able to get as low as possible (I shoot macro)
Able to handle at least 5kg of weight
Sturdy and and handle camera in vertical position quite well

My height is about 167cm :)

Thanks in advance!!

P.s I know this is another recommendation thread :/ Sorry!

Sirui 1204 with K10 or G20 head.

T - for Travelling. This will be shorter in size and also in fully extended height
R - Regular use...extends abit longer than T series
N - Same as R, but have monopod feature..

I'm personally using the T1004X.... So far no complaints..

Appreciate the replies :)

May I know the main difference between G and K Head? I think that its the interior locking system or something along the line?

What does it mean?

May I know the main difference between G and K Head? I think that its the interior locking system or something along the line?

What does it mean?

If I didn't remember wrongly, the G series has the main ball lock and the tension lock as 2 separate knobs, while the K series, has both the locks built into one knob.

T - for Travelling. This will be shorter in size and also in fully extended height
R - Regular use...extends abit longer than T series
N - Same as R, but have monopod feature..

I'm personally using the T1004X.... So far no complaints..

Actually bro, N series is as as Tx series, but have monopod feature. N series can reverse fold as well.

What does it mean?

Apart from the location of the friction knob, Kx series is actually better built and stronger, but cost a little more.

buy the best that you can afford and dont try to save money and buy one of those flimsy tripods

depending what you are using and if any stuff attached to the set up.... you might want to consider a pan and tilt head ...... more INconvenient than a ballhead especially since you said you are into Macro .... but ALOT more able to keep your rig still from creeping

Last edited:
Just curious.. for those people using sling/messenger or you can call it shoulder bags..how do you carry your tripods around?
Hold it on another hand or hang it on another shoulder? Need a tripod yet find it too big and troublesome to carry it around. :confused:

I usually either sling it on the other shoulder or slot one of the legs in between the sling strap of the shoulder bag.. (basically is almost like "putting" the tripod on your shoulder bag)...

When I get tired on my shoulders, I'll hold it in my hand..

Just curious.. for those people using sling/messenger or you can call it shoulder bags..how do you carry your tripods around?
Hold it on another hand or hang it on another shoulder? Need a tripod yet find it too big and troublesome to carry it around. :confused:

Both, I tie an old neck strap on my tripod and I carry it both ways. If you find that the tripod is too big for you, you can always buy a smaller and lighter tripod for travelling. My main tripod is big but that has not stopped me from bringing it out on most occasions.

Actually bro, N series is as as Tx series, but have monopod feature. N series can reverse fold as well.

If I didn't remember wrongly, the G series has the main ball lock and the tension lock as 2 separate knobs, while the K series, has both the locks built into one knob.

Hey!

Thanks for the enlightenment :) I will definitely go to a shop and try out the combination!

I'm only aware of T K Foto holding on to Sirui.. Any other shops with a price to beat?

Hey!

Thanks for the enlightenment :) I will definitely go to a shop and try out the combination!

I'm only aware of T K Foto holding on to Sirui.. Any other shops with a price to beat?

Orient photo at SimLim sells Sirui too but I think the prices are pretty similar to TK Foto.

buy the best that you can afford and dont try to save money and buy one of those flimsy tripods

depending what you are using and if any stuff attached to the set up.... you might want to consider a pan and tilt head ...... more INconvenient than a ballhead especially since you said you are into Macro .... but ALOT more able to keep your rig still from creeping

Best advice. Buy the best you can afford.

The filmsy tripods, like those free ones you get when you buy your first beginner SLR, the joints are made of plastic, soft plastic, break easy.

Your equipment grows more and more expensive really soon so its important to ensure you have ample support system for the expensive equipment. No point risking $8000 worth of equipment on-top of a cheap $80 tripod that topples, frustrating to use, and hard to adjust for precision.

The reliable brands are Gitzo and Manfrotto (same company actually). Sirui is China but its seems to be very good so far.

Last edited:

My assistant carry all those. :bsmilie:

Both, I tie an old neck strap on my tripod and I carry it both ways. If you find that the tripod is too big for you, you can always buy a smaller and lighter tripod for travelling. My main tripod is big but that has not stopped me from bringing it out on most occasions.

Smaller and lighter probably cant go in a shoulder bag too right? Personally hate the idea of lugging 1 (which explains why till now i hvnt got 1) when I'm traveling as ill be out whole day and in between i may run around afew places. From landscape to streets, market, mall etc. :bsmilie:

Am thinking of getting a gorilla tripod. Got to make do with limitation i guess. Does those gorilla pod be able to hold a DSLR + lens. eg 2.5kg in total? :bsmilie:

My assistant carry all those. :bsmilie:

Envy....

Smaller and lighter probably cant go in a shoulder bag too right? Personally hate the idea of lugging 1 (which explains why till now i hvnt got 1) when I'm traveling as ill be out whole day and in between i may run around afew places. From landscape to streets, market, mall etc. :bsmilie:

Am thinking of getting a gorilla tripod. Got to make do with limitation i guess. Does those gorilla pod be able to hold a DSLR + lens. eg 2.5kg in total? :bsmilie:

Or you can get a backpack instead... I find myself using the backpack whenever I'm bringing my tripod out.