some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

badwaterpoo

Sep 12, 2004
hello, i know i'm about to ask really silly questions but i sure don't want my camera to go mouldy on me!
1. how do you clean the lens? i've got this solution and cloth but i have no clue as to whether i'm suppose to remove the UV protector
2. how often should i change the silica?
3. anybody knows where i can get silica with a gd price?

sorry i'm like still new, even after 3 months, maybe cos i'm a slow learner but whatever it is, i hope you guys can help me out. thanks!

1. how do you clean the lens? i've got this solution and cloth but i have no clue as to whether i'm suppose to remove the UV protector

Ans: what solution do u have? Have to remove the UV filter when u wanna clean the lens, else you will be cleaning only the filter instead of the lens

2. how often should i change the silica?

when the silica turns pink (from blue)

3. anybody knows where i can get silica with a gd price?

most camera shops (like MS Color, CP shld be offering gd price)

1. i think you using compact/prosumer camera with Filters not lens... filters when attached on to the camera, the inner portion of the filter should be already clean, den the lens inside would be clean as well, if u seldom remove the filter, no need to clean the inner chamber. for cleaning filter, if you have the solution & cloth, spray the solution evenly over the filter, wipe from in to out, some prefer straight out, some prefer circular motion... no difference i suppose. i mostly use blower to remove the dust, unless there is oil stain or finger prints.

2. sillica gel in the drybox? depends, if the color change from its original state to a darker color (depends on the type) den its time to change as the sillica have been used to absorb the vapour in the atmosphere.

3. heard that by microwaving or toasting the sillica may evaporate the water from the sillica, never try before... buying a tub from any camera shop doesn't really cost much, range from 5 bucks to 10 bucks if i remember correctly.

hi,

also interested in how to reuse the silica gel..... the dry box seems to be super producing water vapour like no body's business..... the silical gel just turns colour in less than a week.... any help pls ??
thx

Yeh you can microwave the silica gel but it will absorbe all the moisture again once you remove from the oven. Dry box with silica gel is never a good idea, get a cheap electronic dry box is better than using silica gel.

erictan8888 said:
hi,

also interested in how to reuse the silica gel..... the dry box seems to be super producing water vapour like no body's business..... the silical gel just turns colour in less than a week.... any help pls ??
thx

erictan8888 said:
hi,

thx

your dry box isnt airtight then. time to get a better one :)

badwaterpoo said:
hello, i know i'm about to ask really silly questions but i sure don't want my camera to go mouldy on me!

i wouldnt use any solution on the lens. never know what it might do ;p

once you install the uv protector you wont have to remove it unless some dust gets between it and the lens. in which case just use a blower to get rid of the dust.

so you just need to clean the camera and the filter. the cloth will do nicely here :)

Yes, indeed, not any cloth is suitable for cleaning len, len has a delicate coating, using inappropriate equipment like solutions/wiper on it will damange the coating.

My advice is to get len cloth/paper and use it ONLY WHEN NECESSARY. NEVER NEVER clean the len unless NEEDED. Since it's protected by the UV filter, cleaning the UV filter is good enough.

UV filter is cheap to replace, not for len though ;)

Dennis said:
Yeh you can microwave the silica gel but it will absorbe all the moisture again once you remove from the oven. Dry box with silica gel is never a good idea, get a cheap electronic dry box is better than using silica gel.

you can also heat up the wet (pink) silica gel on an old pan on a gas stove, if you have health concerns that you'll be microwaving your food in the same microwave where you dry your silica gel. Unless you are the type who also regularly dry your socks and underwear in the microwave like Mr Bean. :sweat:

Silica gel can be reused many times. Doesn't make sense to throw it away. Add to rubbish volume only... :nono:

the previous comments on the lens cleaning are good advice. you don't really want to risk damaging the coating on the lens.

madmacs said:
your dry box isnt airtight then. time to get a better one :)

any idea how long the silica gel can last in the dry box ?

my dry box was a freebie from nikon (yellow colour one) when i bought the F55.....

depends on how much you put in the drybox. If you put just one bead, definitely less than half hour.

i have 4 old film roll plastic cases poked with holes, plus half a small cup in the dry box, was able to last a few months if you don't open the drybox.

A dry cabinet will solve the issue of reheating, gauging how much sillica gel to use and much more. It's really a better investment if you can afford that additional $100-$200 for a decent one.

you think those $80 dry cabinet at carrefour is good ???

i think the no brand one la....

also the electicity consumption is high or not ?

thanks

erictan8888 said:
you think those $80 dry cabinet at carrefour is good ???

i think the no brand one la....

also the electicity consumption is high or not ?

thanks

went carrefour recently, the 80 bucks 1 is rather small, good for small setup, the brand is dunno wat, never hear b4 1, about 20-40L i think but should work, come with a analog humidity indicator. i bought the 66L one from carrefour by digicabi, digital display at 160+

Status
Not open for further replies.