some questions on slides, mounting and projector.....sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

Hi.

thanks for viewing my thread. I need to know where is a good place to get slide films at good price. any idea how much is a roll of Kodak Elite CHrome iso 100 36 exp? Where and how much is the mounting of slides????

one more thing...

can someone please recommend a reasonable quality slide projector?? again, where is a good place to get it????

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

thanks a million~!!

hmmm ..... u may wanna try to azk CP abt the price of the elitechrome.

u can try RGB for developing ur slidez. Az for mounting them, me suggezt u buy the mount n then mount them urzelf. The slide mount can be bought frm Ruby az well az CP.

for the projectorz ..... hehehehe ..... me dont noe anything abt them .....

:D

FOOXX said:
hmmm ..... u may wanna try to azk CP abt the price of the elitechrome.

u can try RGB for developing ur slidez. Az for mounting them, me suggezt u buy the mount n then mount them urzelf. The slide mount can be bought frm Ruby az well az CP.

for the projectorz ..... hehehehe ..... me dont noe anything abt them .....

:D
For projectors, the reasonably good one is the Leica Pradovit 150 IR. Unfortunately the price has went up quite a bit and I read it's going for like $380 now (used to be $300 or so). You can get them from Cathay Photo.

You can also try the budget Braun Novamat for around $200 which you can get from John 3:16.

Alternatively, check out Cash Convertors every now and then. You might get one for $100 or so.

Regards
CK

I agreed with FOOXX, mount it yourself. Do take note that your slides will deteriorate as slide projector will generates heat & think about the power it use in order to project(pictures) onto something for viewing. My personal advise is, view your precious slides on the light-box only. Antway, it's all up to you to decide, right? ;)

Spectrum said:
Do take note that your slides will deteriorate as slide projector will generates heat & think about the power it use in order to project(pictures) onto something for viewing.

you mean slides are not lasting???? :cry: that will be such a pity!!!! all the effort go wasted over time......sigh.

how long is their normal lifespan???? any hope to extend their life??

swimcraze said:
you mean slides are not lasting???? :cry: that will be such a pity!!!! all the effort go wasted over time......sigh.

how long is their normal lifespan???? any hope to extend their life??
Keep slides in a cool, dry and dark place and they will last very long. If you plan to project slides often, make a duplicate slide and project the duplicate.

Regards
CK

Leica Pradovit 150 without IR costs $320 at Ruby. There is a Novamat (dint take note of the model) selling at $280 at the same shop.

ckiang said:
For projectors, the reasonably good one is the Leica Pradovit 150 IR. Unfortunately the price has went up quite a bit and I read it's going for like $380 now (used to be $300 or so). You can get them from Cathay Photo.

You can also try the budget Braun Novamat for around $200 which you can get from John 3:16.

Alternatively, check out Cash Convertors every now and then. You might get one for $100 or so.

Regards
CK

Yup...Ckiang points that out & I totally agreed on that. Just think about how much work you need to prepare(arrange them make sure they don't turn up side down & so forth) in order to start viewing the slides. And what about after viewing? :what:

For personal viewing pleasure just get a decent lightbox and a loupe. A decent lightbox and loupe set will probably cost less than a projector.

And with all things in the world, they detoriate over time. Chances are, they will probably outlast your life. However, film colour changes over time and there's no way to stop it (at best delay it). Cool and dry places are a photograph(er)'s best friend.

Ah Pao said:
For personal viewing pleasure just get a decent lightbox and a loupe. A decent lightbox and loupe set will probably cost less than a projector.

sorry....what is a loupe???? how much and where can i get the lightbox and loupe????

can someone also recommend a decent negative/slide scanner please?

swimcraze said:
sorry....what is a loupe???? how much and where can i get the lightbox and loupe????

Loupe is a type of magnifying glass so that you can scrutinize your slides/negatives with. You should be able to get a loupe at any photo equipment shop. Price varies. As for a lightbox, you can get a second hand one for $30? Ask ard on the buy/sell forum.

Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. 400 for second hand? Only problem is no ICE.
(Image correction and enhancement). But you can do that in photshop...:)

swimcraze said:

loupe is basically a very good quality magnifiying glass. Photop editor wear then on their neck one? Some even have APO len, use to inspect slide under lightbox (get daylight balance lightbox) or inspect print if the loupe has translucent hood.

4x is the standard photo editor use, it doesn't affect the color since it's no need to project to wall, can look very closeup for details etc and easy to store.

Peak or schneider is good, rodenstock not too bad too.

If you want to buy a light-box, remember to look for a 5000k(Kelvin) type. Cause this light is somewhere close to day-light. I think so? :)

Hi Swimcraze

You can go to cathay photo and ask the salesperson to take out and let you try the portable cabin light panel and the rodenstock 4X lupe. I can say to you that this is very good quality combination but only costs around $200 ....much cheaper than buying a slide projector. Or you can buy the portfolio cabin light panel for around $450...guarantee you'll never look at a slide projector again.

swimcraze said:
Hi.

thanks for viewing my thread. I need to know where is a good place to get slide films at good price. any idea how much is a roll of Kodak Elite CHrome iso 100 36 exp? Where and how much is the mounting of slides????

one more thing...

can someone please recommend a reasonable quality slide projector?? again, where is a good place to get it????

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

thanks a million~!!

Once my friend asked me if I wanted to buy his slide projector. He got it from a liquidation auction sale ie company closing down sale. I think he paid only $30 for it?

Well... he thought he was bidding for a computer-to-wall projector...

but certainly a liquidation sale might be a venue to pick up a slide projector really cheap. There's usually an hour or two before the actual auction to inspect items. I have picked up a used Sony monitor this way. Check for auction announcements in the Notices section of the ST classifieds.

In my experience CP has pretty good prices for film. Better if you can find bulk rolls for the film you want and roll them yourself. Fancy a roll of Provia 100 for around $5? Of course you need to buy a bulk roller / darkroom bag. Ask to recycle film canisters from your friendly development labs.

can try use a Peak brand 10x loupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.