Some questions on lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Nov 15, 2002
www.pixelpixie.biz
Hi guys,

Why is it that lenses with a lower f-stop are more expensive than those with larger ones? Does this mean a lens that is capable of a larger aperture produces much better quality pics, thus more expensive??

One more thing, can lenses used by film SLR be used on a DSLR?

Educate me...please! :)

Originally posted by gremlin
Does this mean a lens that is capable of a larger aperture produces much better quality pics, thus more expensive??
Yes, generally. Rule of thumb, you get what you pay for.

Yes

I think it is difficult to maintain image quality on large aperture lens tat is y it is of better made and using high quality material to build lens so as to maintain quality output.

Hi guys,

Why is it that lenses with a lower f-stop are more expensive than those with larger ones? Does this mean a lens that is capable of a larger aperture produces much better quality pics, thus more expensive??

lens with large aperture need bigger lens elements thus tougher light falloff control (need more elements to control it) and more difficult to manufacture, so the price becomes higher.
Large aperture will not guarantee better quality picture but large aperture allow to use faster shutter speed in the low light condition.

yes but you will encounter focal length multiplier on DSLR except on 1Ds.

Originally posted by Knighthunter

yes but you will encounter focal length multiplier on DSLR except on 1Ds.

to date, most brands of AF lenses can be used on DSLR
but usually poor quality ones perform the worse

so far, there's one from Nikon, the AFS 12-24 IF ED is specially designed for Nikon DSLR, thus not applicable for film SLR

:gbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.