Some questions from a backpacking beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynon

Dec 16, 2005
Hi all, i will be backpacking to Xinjiang China soon. So i would like to ask those backpackers, any idea to secure my dSLR equipments when i stay in a shared guesthouse?

Secondly, any decent backpack brand to recommend? The recent ones i saw were North Face Skareb 55L($300) and Tatonka ISIS Light 60L ($186). These 2 backpacks are considered lightweight. Any recommendation? I heard some people said Karrimor is good too but is it heavy? Thanks for the input.

i have an Osprey backpack.. think they are quite light.. u can check them out...

i have an Osprey backpack.. think they are quite light.. u can check them out...

May i know which model? How much? Thanks.

i got the Aether series: http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/

cant remember the size and price... need to check when i reach home... but i think the price shld be above $300 if i remember correctly...

when i was testing out the various bags, between karrimor and tatonka and some other brands, Osprey was really the lightest... can really feel it...

You might be interested in this

1962_49_1569_49_1420_anti-theft.jpg

Net - http://www.pacsa...d=49

This website basically sell Anti-Theft products...go take a look.

Check this site out. Gives tips how to pack light. Think it is very informative.

Ordered the recommended Mei Voyager 40L backpack, however delievery time is est. 2 months from the US due to inability to cope with demand.

What do you guys reckon is the "right" size backpack for a long trip across many countries? Although there is no correct answer to this question... :bsmilie:

Try Think-Tank products, they have put some thought into security.

Wont this tell the thief very clearly that there are expensive stuff inside!

well, i dun think so. there are times you will want to use such things. for example, you stay in a dormitory and you dun have a locker (it should be understood this is for protection in such environment and you are just protection-conscious), or you are on a ferry but you want to go out and shoot, you will need this as it allows protection and can lock to the ferry chair.

however, it is heavy, so if you dun have above situations, dun really need that if you always have a room or locker to lock it, or if you always carry your backpack everywhere when they are not in a hotel room or locker.

hi just to share. I have an Osprey atmos 35 and I am very thankful for it for a few reasons.

one is that because i travel alone most of the time, i don't like to check my luggage in, so this backpack is really good coz from outside it looks small enough to carry on the plane, and it is the biggest sized backpack that can fit in the overhead compartment.

two is that you can squeeze ALOT of things in there. I have traveled with this backpack to Thailand (1-2weeks x 8-9 times), Japan (10 days x 2), China (1 month), HongKong (still here) and so far from tiger airways to ANA to SQ to China southern airlines to jetstar to airasia, I have no problems bringing this subtle monster up. I always subtly worry they will force me to check in coz i pack in sometimes up to 30kg worth of stuff but friends opinion is that it doesn't look that big and heavy. ;)

So when i travel i have a sling bag (terrclime 100) that i put either my netbook (asus 900) or my dslr (450d) along with my travel documents, mp3 player, bible, notebook and pen (all essential carry alongs that i require). So if i hve both my cam and netbook i put the either on in the bag and carry/sling the other. Why netbook out is because at security checks you have to take it out anyway, so you would want to lessen the hassle. And with that out of the bag i plonk everything in m pockets in teh bag, so i can walk through the detector with no hassle.

anyway back to your concern of hostel. I face the same problem, so what i do if i do not have safe is to bring along all my valuables in my sling bag and with the cam round my neck and valuables in the bag i make my way around. This is assuming you only bring 1 lens around, if you have more then you could get bigger sling bag to accomodate what you want to bring along.

the net is actually something I am considering too!

well, this is my view and I hope it helps! really, though a bigger can fit more, the hassle of waiting and all is not worth it in my opinion and in reality, you would rewear some of your clothes just because 'it doesn't smell'. But given the constraints, and the situations, backpacking is not a fashion show, and if you are willing to explore and rough it out, you just need a strong spirit and a really good cologne/ body spray! ;p

happy travelling! :D

Hi

1. Choosing a backpack is usually a hands-on thing more than branding-chasing. Go to the shops, request to open the bag-pack and stuff things inside. Carry it on your back thereafter to assess the comfort.

Do not use a virgin backpack on long trips. Use it beforehand to determine what needed to be changed/adjusted.

Check out Singapore Adventurer's Club online forum for more useful tips

2. Carry a monopod for self-defense purpose as well as walking stick.

3. Use a smaller daypack when u want to travel light and leave your backpack in the hotel

4. Forget about nets. Nets are just meant to keep things hung outside the bag compacted together. Ppl can use scissors to cut through. Invest in a metal chain and padlock if u need to. However make sure the bag has weather sealing.

:)

Last edited:
SAF Field Pack...the older one. should be about $40 with lots of space for just about everything.

If you need to go somewhere and leave your bag, it can still get stolen no matter how theft proof it is because you are not there so my advice is travel light and dont bring unecessary gear.

usually i just bring the camera, memory cards, batteries, misc cables and charger. If i need to preview then i use the TV out cable to connect to the TV.

Hi all, i will be backpacking to Xinjiang China soon. So i would like to ask those backpackers, any idea to secure my dSLR equipments when i stay in a shared guesthouse?

if they have storage space, you can chance it..

me, i sleep on my camera equipment as pillow :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.