Some questions for LR users

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
I'm having issues draggy LR especially when I "jump" photos that are >500 frames away on the preview panels.

Also when I use LR and CS together, the PC crawls even when my processor idle at 98%. :(

Lastly, does LR applies sharpening on the photos? My pics are unusually sharp in LR even in 100% view but seems less sharp in CS. :think:

there are a number of issues that could plague your computer:

> are you working RAW or jpeg?
> RAM, how much do you have... LR and CS are both quite hungry
> where are your photos and where is your library?
> have created previews and are they still there when you jump by 500 pics?

sharpening: LR applies by default some sharpening to your RAW file, however you see that only at 1:1

there are a number of issues that could plague your computer:

> are you working RAW or jpeg?
> RAM, how much do you have... LR and CS are both quite hungry
> where are your photos and where is your library?
> have created previews and are they still there when you jump by 500 pics?

sharpening: LR applies by default some sharpening to your RAW file, however you see that only at 1:1

Tried once on a folder of RAW and yesterday, on a folder of jpegs...similar result.

Intel 2.4G wif 512MB RAM

Photos taken directly from RAID-5 HDD

Last... no idea. :dunno:

What do you mean by default? Cam default or LR default?

I'm having issues draggy LR especially when I "jump" photos that are >500 frames away on the preview panels.

Also when I use LR and CS together, the PC crawls even when my processor idle at 98%. :(

Increase your computer RAM to 1GB or beyond, you will see improvement in speed. :angel:

YMMV

add more ram - the best is 4g of ram.

the default LR sharpening is 25. Go to Develop module > Detail > Sharpening

add more ram - the best is 4g of ram.

the default LR sharpening is 25. Go to Develop module > Detail > Sharpening

I can't agree more. I upgraded to a dual core with 4GB of RAM, and it processes the images like a hot knife through butter.. :)

I'm using 1GB of RAM on a 3 year old processor. Its still pretty fast in processing. Maybe its the way i do my workflow cos I filter out quickly with previews first what i want to work on. But interestingly I find it takes ages to load up JPEGs but pretty fast for RAWs. Have no idea why.

Tried once on a folder of RAW and yesterday, on a folder of jpegs...similar result.

Intel 2.4G wif 512MB RAM

512 Ram is barely enough to run your whole system smoothly...let alone LR and with raw files...its time for an upgrade...2GB is bare min

512 Ram is barely enough to run your whole system smoothly...let alone LR and with raw files...its time for an upgrade...2GB is bare min

haiz... anione wif RDRAM to sell.

I'm usin dell 8250. :(

haiz... anione wif RDRAM to sell.

I'm usin dell 8250. :(

omg...RDram...these are not cheap...

sept have PC show...i also read from dunno which webbie that intel is cuting prices soon...dunno how true...

I think it would be better to upgrade to a new CPU, MB & DDR2 RAM then look for RDRAM :sweat:

actually, a search revealed that a couple of years back.. some CS'ers hav dell 8250 and loaded up on their RDRAMs... wonder wat happened. :think:

Intel 2.4G wif 512MB RAM

I think you mention in some earlier thread complaining about draggy proformance that your system runs quite a few anti spam, anti spy ware programes on top of having close to the minimum RAM required. If your RAM is too old it also means the MotherBoard is old and possible running at slower than 1 to 2 years old systems - time to think upgrade.RAM is now DDR2 or higher - even my system DDR@400 is slow for today requirements.

You need to have a stand alone editing on station if you are seriously doing this. It needs min 1gig ram better 3gig and running as few background programs as possible. Of course the processor needs to be as fast as you can afford. A P4 may still cut it if you do the necessary. Running LR and PS2 together will strain the Ram resources heavily. Also the speed which your RAM runs at is also a factor when all things are equal.

I think you mention in some earlier thread complaining about draggy proformance that your system runs quite a few anti spam, anti spy ware programes on top of having close to the minimum RAM required. If your RAM is too old it also means the MotherBoard is old and possible running at slower than 1 to 2 years old systems - time to think upgrade.RAM is now DDR2 or higher - even my system DDR@400 is slow for today requirements.

You need to have a stand alone editing on station if you are seriously doing this. It needs min 1gig ram better 3gig and running as few background programs as possible. Of course the processor needs to be as fast as you can afford. A P4 may still cut it if you do the necessary. Running LR and PS2 together will strain the Ram resources heavily. Also the speed which your RAM runs at is also a factor when all things are equal.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: You remembered. :thumbsup:

Well, that issue was solved when I reformatted my drives. Then, all programs were slow, now they are "normal" except LR. CS is actually ok when I use with Bridge... but when I use LR, it's slow but as described below, when I jump about 500 pics away, the LR pretty much "hangs" for up to 10mins before resuming normal operation.

I think the sluggish performance of preview during import has also got to do with the card reader and the flash card read/write speed beside the spec of the pc.

when I tried with my usb1 card reader and a microdrive the preview became slowwwwww.

I think the sluggish performance of preview during import has also got to do with the card reader and the flash card read/write speed beside the spec of the pc.

when I tried with my usb1 card reader and a microdrive the preview became slowwwwww.

no leh... pics direct from HDD.

i had one that's diff from the ts' q. LR 1.1 has this new slider called clarity...what is it supposed to do? I don't quite see the difference between it and sharpen...

i had one that's diff from the ts' q. LR 1.1 has this new slider called clarity...what is it supposed to do? I don't quite see the difference between it and sharpen...
clarity increases, as Adobe says it, micro-contrast. in other words, it applies a S-curve to histogram but not a single one over the whole picture but rather localised. This gives you more contrast in the details which makes the picture look sharper.
What is the difference to sharpening? Sharpening tries to find edges and increases contrast along the edges, making the pixel on the dark side darker and on the light side lighter. Sharpening extends usually 1-2 pixels to either side of the edge. Sharpening introduces artefacts, so called halo effects, this is when the dark edge gets darker than the dark side or the light edge lighter than the surrounding.
Clarity does not produce such effects as it is not tied to edges.

clarity is similar to those effects when using usm to bring up contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.