Some questions, answer if you're free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremykoh89

Mar 22, 2008
What is the difference between shooting in RAW format and JPEG?

Also, I've heard of the term colour temperature. Can someone elaborate? Where is it usually found under if it is to be adjusted? Thanks!

Raw is the uncompressed format. Benefits are more detail when blown up (i.e for poster sized stuff)
JPEG is compressed and it loses some detail when blown up. Benefits are smaller file size

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Raw - More control in the lighting and sharpness adjustment without noise if use High ISO [use with DPP]

Jpeg - Limited control in the lighting and sharpness adjustment and with noise if use High ISO [use with PS2 or PS3

Colour Temp is found in WB setting in camera, represented by a icon 'K', colour temp range varies from 1,000 - 10,000, but in 30D the Kelvin temp is vary from (2800 - 10000 K in 100 K steps).

click this link to understand more of colour temp : http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/colour-temperature.html

sorry i had to say this

but google IS your best friend

i haven't said this in a long time, so give me a break! :D

sorry i had to say this

i haven't said this in a long time, so give me a break! :D

that's so true.... nowadays there are GOGGLE and WIKIPEDIA....

Yeah just google. You can find way more information from websites and forums than anyone can summarize for you here. Any doubts we can help clarify here :)

What is the difference between shooting in RAW format and JPEG?

Also, I've heard of the term colour temperature. Can someone elaborate? Where is it usually found under if it is to be adjusted? Thanks!

Apart from the internet's inexhaustible availability of these information that you seek, a mere expenditure of about $30, gives you a handy booklet containing all the basic references you will ever need in your Digital Photography initiatives.

READ.

clubsnap doesnt have a thread/sticky which covers his question?

Apart from the internet's inexhaustible availability of these information that you seek, a mere expenditure of about $30, gives you a handy booklet containing all the basic references you will ever need in your Digital Photography initiatives.

READ.

Name that book! :bsmilie:

clubsnap doesnt have a thread/sticky which covers his question?

Not.. Yet.

Raw is the uncompressed format.

Actually, RAW can be compressed (e.g. Canon's RAW) but it is a lossless compression unlike, say, normal JPEG.

RAW is supposed to be the data straight from the sensor, unprocessed (hence name : raw = unprocessed, in natural form), but there are indications that some camera's RAW may be minimally processed for noise reduction, according to DPReview.

As for the answer to the question itself, lots of replies here already. And color temperature is the same thing as white balance when it comes to digital photos.

Some days it feels like google is my only friend :cry::bsmilie:

Raw is the uncompressed format. Benefits are more detail when blown up (i.e for poster sized stuff)
JPEG is compressed and it loses some detail when blown up. Benefits are smaller file size

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition, RAW also allows you to change settings in post-processing, such as exposure (to a certain degree), white balance, colour hue, sharpness, and noise reduction.

RAW is definately the way to go, shoot JPEG will so call "lock" your shoots for post processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.