Some questions about buying cameras from ebay, please help !

The91

Oct 27, 2011
Hi guys, I am thinking about buying a camera from ebay, but I am not sure about the tax and duties when they send the camera into Singapore:

1, What should I do if I want to pay the import duty tax? Just attach the invoice on the package? What else should I prepare?

2, How do I pay the tax? Shall I collect the camera by myself at somewhere in Singapore?

3, Is it wise to ask the seller to mark the camera as "a gift"? Or ask the seller to write a lower price in the invoice?

Hope someone can share some experience on it.

Thanks !

When your parcel arrives and Singpost determine that the item is taxable, they will notify you (usually with a service card). You can pay the tax at Singpost when you collect the item from them.

Thank you for your reply.

above $400 taxable. Ask Singpost pay on your behalf and deliver to you or to your nearest post office (with a service fee i think) OR go to ICA at Singpost Paya Lebar and pay. Usually they will thank you for paying tax.

Depends on the camera... sometimes they are knowledgeable enough to know if this is 400 or beyond. You are required to show the receipt of your ebay transaction or some kind of document to proof the price at which you paid for your item. If is through ebay then you cannot alter the price even if the seller write as 'gift' on the parcel.

Just pay la...heart pain but less worries...

I see, thank you!

What is it that you need to buy from Ebay? Usually after shipping and tax, there is very little diff.

ManWearPants said:
What is it that you need to buy from Ebay? Usually after shipping and tax, there is very little diff.

Furthermore you can't test before purchase. Want that eBay return policy? Must pay postage back. Hassle.

above $400 taxable. Ask Singpost pay on your behalf and deliver to you or to your nearest post office (with a service fee i think) OR go to ICA at Singpost Paya Lebar and pay. Usually they will thank you for paying tax.

Depends on the camera... sometimes they are knowledgeable enough to know if this is 400 or beyond. You are required to show the receipt of your ebay transaction or some kind of document to proof the price at which you paid for your item. If is through ebay then you cannot alter the price even if the seller write as 'gift' on the parcel.

Just pay la...heart pain but less worries...

now is $600 liao. $400 is old one.

eleveninth said:
now is $600 liao. $400 is old one.

Since when? 3 mth ago still 400.

is it?

then i must be lucky eh. i ordered over 400 than never get taxed. lol

wonder if it's randomly checked.

playhard said:

$600 is for travellers bringing goods into Singapore (more than 48 hours). This has been increased from $400 to $600 since 1 Apr 2012 following feb 12 budget...

However for import of goods, eg buying from amazon or ebay, $400 still applies (no change)...check iras website.

Last edited:
$600 is for travellers bringing goods into Singapore (more than 48 hours). This has been increased from $400 to $600 since 1 Apr 2012 following feb 12 budget...

However for import of goods, eg buying from amazon or ebay, $400 still applies (no change)...check iras website.

ya i just saw also.

but funny le i order more than 400 never get taxed. hahaha. so i assumed the 600 gst relief also applied to parcel

ya i just saw also.

but funny le i order more than 400 never get taxed. hahaha. so i assumed the 600 gst relief also applied to parcel

still $400 -> Internet Purchases/Postal Parcels

ya once twice I oso order slightly more than 400 and never get taxed, perhaps they cincai one :bsmilie:

anyway paypal exchange rate is damn high :angry:

still $400 -> Internet Purchases/Postal Parcels

ya once twice I oso order slightly more than 400 and never get taxed, perhaps they cincai one :bsmilie:

anyway paypal exchange rate is damn high :angry:

actually i am consider very lucky also... i bought a Leica Summarit 50mm f1.5.... cost me $800+ usd but never kana gst also :x