Some question on filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertzy

Oct 13, 2004
...with regards to DSLR

1) Is it important that filters have "UV protection"? How are their performance compared to non-UV clear filters?

2) Are there noticeable difference between Hoya, Tokina and Tamron?

3) Is the "Hoya pro 1 Digital Protectors" any good? Its marketing tag goes something like this:
This is the ultimate in clear filters. It will not affect the color balance or performance of your lenses in the slightest.

Then, I start to wonder what about the rest of the filters that are not considered "ultimate".

4) What brand to recommend for a good Cir polariser? Any brands to stay away?

Thanks in advance. Info on filters are much harder to come by compared to lenses and cameras.

...with regards to DSLR

1) Is it important that filters have "UV protection"? How are their performance compared to non-UV clear filters?

3) Is the "Hoya pro 1 Digital Protectors" any good? Its marketing tag goes something like this:
This is the ultimate in clear filters. It will not affect the color balance or performance of your lenses in the slightest.

Then, I start to wonder what about the rest of the filters that are not considered "ultimate".

Thanks in advance. Info on filters are much harder to come by compared to lenses and cameras.
do a search and im sure you can find ans for all your question.

...with regards to DSLR

1) UV filters filter out harmful UV rays from the sun which can be detectors by your cam's sensor, but not to the naked eye.

2) They're all similar. Hoya filters are made by Tokina.

3) I'm using this protector for my 17-40 f/4L and it's really good! Also slimmer than conventional filters.

4) A gd CPL? U can try B+W but take note of the price.

Regards.

a) in film days, the cameras must have the filters, if not the uv light from the sun will spoil the film. But in digital days, there is something in front of the sensor that helps to prevent the harm by the uv light. thus it wont affect us in the digital age..

however, ppl still put the filter so as to protect the lens from scratches, dirt, smudges by accidental handling etc...

b) Yes, there is a difference among the filters of different grades. Better quality ones allow near 100% light to pass through, while the lousier grade ones allow lesser.

one of the major problem associated with lousy filter is the problem of flaring. The cheaper and often lower quality filters make the lens more prone to flaring. this is an example of flaring:
flare.JPG

Another problem of low quality filters is the loss of colour contrast and saturation.

c) hoya pro1 grade filters are supposedly the best in the hoya lineup. However there are still a lot of ppl who prefer B+W filters instead. They are touted to be the easiest to clean among all the filters. and ya B+W filters are not cheap.... for 77mm, its about $90+/-

for my case, the hoya hmc filters are good enough for me.. there is already a big jump from the normal hoya uv filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.