Some question on dust on lens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

godprint

Aug 13, 2008
Hi fellow Clubsnappers,

I've got some noob questions on lens.
I have just gotten a second hand 50mm f1.8 series E prime lens.
I got home and notice some dust specks in the lens. I have consulted the seller and he says not to worry abt the dust speckles as it wont show up.
I know this is a old lens and some dust are inevitable, but still i am pretty worried that the dust specks will appear in my exposures. I will be using this lens on a nikon FM2. I have yet to develop any films with using this lens. Any advice from expert clubsnappers?

Thank you for your time,
godprint

The dust on the lens may only appear at extremely small aperture such as F/14 and above so dont worry

Oh ok ok.. I got no digital camera to mount it on a try... need to wait till i develop my first roll of film. Thanks. So its actually inevitable that dust will always be trapped inside the lens rite?

That's inaccurate. Dust on camera sensors will show up on photos when stopped down. Dust on lenses hardly show up at all.

In a way, yes. But in strong lighting condition, i've photos where the dust in my lens did indeed turn up on my photos.Which is why i used the phrase "may" since im not really certain

TS = Yes, Dust is inevitable. But u can do ur part by minimising the exposure by subjecting it to harsh environment(beach, sand etc) less often and changing the lens at a dust-free or minimal area. And lastly keep the lens in a dry cabinet and dust wont be really an issue any more :D

In a way, yes. But in strong lighting condition, i've photos where the dust in my lens did indeed turn up on my photos.Which is why i used the phrase "may" since im not really certain

TS = Yes, Dust is inevitable. But u can do ur part by minimising the exposure by subjecting it to harsh environment(beach, sand etc) less often and changing the lens at a dust-free or minimal area. And lastly keep the lens in a dry cabinet and dust wont be really an issue any more :D
really? then the dust in your lens must be very very big, big enough for spend some money to clean it.

rear element, yes. front element, no.

Wow, thanks for all the replies from ayou guys.. was really enriching... ;)

So i assume any lens, I wont be able to expect it dust free rite?
I tried shining a light thru the lens and see the output of that on a piece of white paper to see if i can spot any light source being blocked by dust or not. Wont wat i do is really noob or not.. :embrass: .

If i got no dry cabinet or anything similar. can I use a air tight container and add in some of those small small sachets which will absorb moisture? Will this be able to help in any way? :think:

That's inaccurate. Dust on camera sensors will show up on photos when stopped down. Dust on lenses hardly show up at all.

How do I identify it its on the camera sensor? What is a camera sensor located? very noob of me....

Last edited:
A dry cabinet doesn't cost much, neither does the electricity it runs on.
For ease and peace of mind, I suggest you get a dry cabinet instead of fiddling around with silica gels.

Wow, thanks for all the replies from ayou guys.. was really enriching... ;)

So i assume any lens, I wont be able to expect it dust free rite?
I tried shining a light thru the lens and see the output of that on a piece of white paper to see if i can spot any light source being blocked by dust or not. Wont wat i do is really noob or not.. :embrass: .

If i got no dry cabinet or anything similar. can I use a air tight container and add in some of those small small sachets which will absorb moisture? Will this be able to help in any way? :think:

How do I identify it its on the camera sensor? What is a camera sensor located? very noob of me....

The camera sensor is what captures the image, akin to the film in film cameras.

A basic way to identify dust is to shoot a blank & white image(i.e wall) at the max smallest apertue (f/22+ depending on lens) and then zoom in the max in-camera or PC and look for some strange black dots/particles. Thats the dust.

To know if it's on the lens or sensor, simply change the lens and repeat. If the dust spot still persists at the same spot. It's the sensor/particular film frame(sry for mistake)

Last edited:
The camera sensor is what captures the image, akin to the film in film cameras.

A basic way to identify dust is to shoot a blank & white image(i.e wall) at the max smallest apertue (f/22+ depending on lens) and then zoom in the max in-camera or PC and look for some strange black dots/particles. Thats the dust.

To know if it's on the lens or sensor, simply change the lens and repeat. If the dust spot still persists at the same spot. It's the lens

Ooh.. I am actually using this lens on a SLR nikon fm2, so based on your explanation. I can say that camera sensor does not apply to SLR rite?

Ooh.. I am actually using this lens on a SLR nikon fm2, so based on your explanation. I can say that camera sensor does not apply to SLR rite?

In a way, yes. But dust will still get onto your film, albiet that particular frame that is loaded when u exposed it to dust(i.e changing lens). So u dont have to worry about sensor dust anymore. ;)

Hi fellow Clubsnappers,

I've got some noob questions on lens.
I have just gotten a second hand 50mm f1.8 series E prime lens.
I got home and notice some dust specks in the lens. I have consulted the seller and he says not to worry abt the dust speckles as it wont show up.
I know this is a old lens and some dust are inevitable, but still i am pretty worried that the dust specks will appear in my exposures. I will be using this lens on a nikon FM2. I have yet to develop any films with using this lens. Any advice from expert clubsnappers?

Thank you for your time,
godprint

Don't worry, it will not show up unless it's a BIG SPEC of dust.

To know if it's on the lens or sensor, simply change the lens and repeat. If the dust spot still persists at the same spot. It's the lens

I think you meant the sensor? But since TS is nikon SLR, its a moot point anyway.

Last edited:
Oh ok ok.. I got no digital camera to mount it on a try... need to wait till i develop my first roll of film. Thanks. So its actually inevitable that dust will always be trapped inside the lens rite?

Yes it is more or less inevitable.

Ok ok.. thanks for all the information. Guess this dust stuck in between lens is a sticky issue.. especially for beginners like me. Have been worried abt it since the day I bought it till now. But after seeing those replies. More or less feel better at least till the time when i develop my first film using this lens. :angel:

I think you meant the sensor? But since TS is nikon SLR, its a moot point anyway.

Oops, yes i mean the camera. Sorry for the little mistake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.