Some queries...

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
When I use Manual Mode with a 50mm/f1.4 lens set to f8 at 125, in a brightly lit room..... connect to a flash unit... when I compose... the meter in the cam told me under expose... -2 blinking... dont care, just whack... the histogram show me a good exposure... why like that???:dunno::devil:

manual flash? no TTL?

When I use Manual Mode with a 50mm/f1.4 lens set to f8 at 125, in a brightly lit room..... connect to a flash unit... when I compose... the meter in the cam told me under expose... -2 blinking... dont care, just whack... the histogram show me a good exposure... why like that???:dunno::devil:

The camera is metering the ambient light, it is indicating background is under-exposed. THe histogram shows ok because your subject is lighted up by your flash.

The camera is metering the ambient light, it is indicating background is under-exposed. THe histogram shows ok because your subject is lighted up by your flash.

OIC... like that how??? Cam meter the ambient light... tell u underexpose... but the flash make it okay... so how, cannot trust the meter, dont read the meter... just whack first?? What will you guys do in this instacne??? Btw, flash never do any setting, On and whack and using spot metering for cam.....

Last edited:
N-user said:
OIC... like that how??? Cam meter the ambient light... tell u underexpose... but the flash make it okay... so how, cannot trust the meter, dont read the meter... just whack first?? What will you guys do in this instacne??? Btw, flash never do any setting, On and whack and using spot metering for cam.....

Yo dude, dun get it wrong. Imagine you are in the same room and your eyes only see the ambient light (as it is). And your eyes signal to your brains n say there is not enuff light to light up the room. Then wat do you next? You turn on the lights right? If the existing light is not bright enuff, you turn on another light to make the room brighter right?

Same as here, meter reads underexposed like your eyes. Flash fired like turning on another light. That makes the room bright.

So either you have preset your flash to fire TTL or you hit the right setting wifout your knowledge & your shots came out good.

Do read up on flash photography @ that may clear your mind.

HTH

It would be helpful if you let us know which camera you are using, which flash and which flash mode you have used (although I suspect your flash was set to some form of TTL). Without this it's a lot of guess work and I just run out of tea leaves :) In case you use a Canon system please read the following article slowly and carefully. Do note the different exposure modes which will affect the camera's behaviour.
Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras
You can trust your meter at all times, you only need to know what it meters in a particular setting (matrix, center, spot) and situation.

Thank you all Bro..... will go read up..... learning something new everyday..... thank to the Bro here..... ya.. using Canon currently...

you need to read this first

understanding_exposure.jpg

than follow with this...

2009091-L.jpg

both books are available at our National Library

you need to read this first

understanding_exposure.jpg

than follow with this

2009091-L.jpg

both books are available at our National Library

haaa I have the first book from Bryan Peterson actually, not the revised edition though (got it many years back).. read it many years back, now return all to him.... hmm.... :rolleyes::embrass: