Some prize collection at Delphi Orchard: Anyone experienced this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalis

Feb 25, 2002
Bukit Batok
Got a call from a guy 2 days back. Claimed he was from some advertising company acting on behalf of a travel company. He asked me upon my answering of the call whether I had taken part in some contest at some restaurant recently. I mentioned I might have but can't remember where. So he went on to say that I've been selected to collect a consolation prize which included some travel vouchers + steel watch + free nights stay in some bangkok hotel. I asked him which place had I won this prize at but he didn't give a reply. Suspecting a scam I went on to ask whether If I went I would be forcefully detained for hours to listen to some talk or some hard pressured marketing, and that I am aware that such things are going on and illegal confinement is an offence in Singapore and I wouldn't hesitate to call the police.

He assured that it was no scam, there would be no talk and all I had to do was to go down to Delphi Orchard and view thru a small travel exhibition, collect my gifts and I would be done. I asked how long, and he said, "oh about an hour".. I was quite puzzled.. an hour to view an exhibition? Anyway he got quite insistent and said I should go down the following day at 6.30pm. Repeatedly he said that there is no scam, and the gifts were mine to take for no cost at all. I tentatively agreed to pop by the place provided nothing cropped up on my side at his said timing. He was quite insistent that I didn't cancel on the appt as he had to "order the prize" and it was upon their order that the prize would be delivered to them. This guy then handed me over the phone to his 'manager' and she again repeated what he said abt the prize, asking me whether i was certain wat time to show up etc.

What was strangest abt this issue is that halfway through the conversation he asked me for my name. I thought, how did you get my number when you don't have my name? He said that all these details were kept confidential by the company that hired them to do this promotion. Which, I thought was really strange. I've 'won' a prize but you don't have my details?

On the day itself (which was yesterday), I was really uncomfortable abt this whole thing and decided not to go. The basis of this was the whole circumstance, which seemed very fishy to me. True enough, the 'manager' called abt an hour before the scheduled time. I mentioned to her that I won't be showing up because I don't feel good abt the whole affair and I didn't really care much abt the prize. She started going on abt how the the prize was already ordered, that the guy that called me was actually on half day leave, but stayed back so that he could receive me, that if I didn't show up if would seem to his managers that he wasn't doing his job blah blah blah. I said, No I am not coming down, and that their insistence was making it even more suspicious. She then transferred the line over to this guy (which took like 1 second for her to transfer and for him to pick up, just like he was sitting next to her), and he started asking me why. He mentioned "but you PROMISED" to come down? how can you break your promise like that?"

He started saying things like "if the reason is because you can't make it down on time you can come later around 8 or so".. etc. I said no I don't think so. My style of talking is that I would interject a little bit of mild laughter to lighten the situation a bit. He then went on to say "Bloody hell, still can laugh? *+expletives*" and hung up the phone.

Just wondering... has anyone encountered this before?

I encountered this before but I rejected them outright. Simple logic, nothing is free in this world. :)

Ignore them. Nothing is free in this world. Sounds like a time share scam again.

I juz kena a couple of weeks ago.

Decided to string the fella along and play along so I said I was some kinda bigshot sales manager and the lady was practically drooling over her voice thinking she got some kinda idiot on her hands.

Saw the number on my HP again (stored it in my hp memory), but was too tired to entertain and shut it off.

i've received such calls before. my tactic was to tell the fella that i'm very interested in listening to his proposal, am going to keep quiet and see how he can convince me. then i left the phone on the table, occasionally muttering some words like "hmmm", "hah" , "yeah" to keep him on the line while he talked to the wood. that way, at least i saved the next person half an hour of talking to him.

whahahaha i got the call twice. they just called my number and said i won some prize and holiday trip and watch and everything. and said i entered this lucky draw some time ago which i NEVER EVER DO. *im very lazy one* and they asked me...

i asked them "are you sure you got the right person?"

they said "are you mr wong?"

i said "no"

and no apology or whatever was given and they just hung up the phone. next time i get this call, i'm gonna report to the police and it's no private number at all.

If any of you can get a recording of these people on the phone, it would be good to send it to some higher authorities.

dont go ><

Send roti prata, MTL :thumbsup:

It is just an excuse to get you to listen to their sales pitch(most likely timeshare). Once you are 'con' into their 'home base', they will put in all kinds of pressure to make you buy. The thing is that once you are at their 'home base', you'll be quite vulnerable and those weaker mind will succumb and buy.

I received the same call last week. After listening for 1 minute, I just tell them that I'm not interested in the free gift, or tours and don't have the time to spare for them. They will be persistent, but you just got to be firm. At most just say no thanks, goodbye and hang up lor.

Kinda curious, I suspect its frm the same company. Does the number begin with 6235****? :think:

OT a little: Have anyone received mailers stating that you've won a prize (something big like a car), but you will also have to go somewhere to listen to something. But they assured that there will be no time share stuff or anything purchase needed. I never go as I always throw the mail away (incidentally, was addressed to me). Anyone have experienced this too?

jsbn said:
Kinda curious, I suspect its frm the same company. Does the number begin with 6235****? :think:

we all know it's the same company =.=! and i thought it's from my school teacher or something. haha next time i receive the call, i'm gonna screw them up ;p

Canew said:
OT a little: Have anyone received mailers stating that you've won a prize (something big like a car), but you will also have to go somewhere to listen to something. But they assured that there will be no time share stuff or anything purchase needed. I never go as I always throw the mail away (incidentally, was addressed to me). Anyone have experienced this too?
i received sms from shanghai telling me i've won prizes or sth...but hafta call them up to "claim the prize":bsmilie:

jsbn said:

nope.. 68****** one

Status
Not open for further replies.