Some photography questions that I was asked but I don't know how to answer them.

Kangnie

Feb 18, 2010
Singapore
Basically, I'm a newbie, photography is just something I like to do during my free time. So I'm trying to join a photographic society in my school, and they gave us a few technical questions about photography that we're supposed to answer before they consider us for recruitment. But as a newbie, I don't know the answers to quite a few of the questions, so I'm looking for help here.

Photography questions 1.jpg

Photography questions 2.jpg

I know for question 1, it's a.1/200 and for question 2, c.make larger prints. But for questions 3, 4, 5, I have no idea what are the answers. Please do help me check my answers for questions 1 & 2 too!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! =D

Question 3 is because a 5D2 is FF which only accepts EF lenses but the 17-55 is EF-S which is for crop body(EF-S and EF)...

Why on earth do you need to pass a test first before you will be considered for joining the club? Isn't the club for learning photography in the first place?

1. 1/200

2. C

3. APS-C lens on a full frame (but then again, why not? I can use APS-C lens on my full frame Sony A850 too, just that my pictures will be auto cropped. Still its usable, APS-C lens on Full frame is ok, if it is the user's intention to hv a cropped FOV.)

4. Distortion due to wide angle lens.

5. hmm... cause of vignetting? Vignetting usually occurs in wide angle, and that photo seems to be taken with a long focal length instead of an ultra wide angle. But then again, vignetting can occur in other ways too. For example using an APS-C lens on a FF can cause that sort of vignetting as well.

U can counter back the same people who asked u those questions, cos there's no direct answer for it (for Q3 and Q5).

PS: Q3 is stupid. Not everyone uses Canon DSLR.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the help!!!!! For question 5's photo, can we say it's photoshopped, cos there doesn't seem to be any shadows underneath some of the players? And a few of the players seems like 'floating' above the grass?

the club is so prestigious until you need to take a test then you can join it? what kind of bull crap is this?

If you are recruited, I advise you better do more homework. Are you expected to shoot for your club etc? No point getting model answer and u don't understand anything.:nono:

the club is so prestigious until you need to take a test then you can join it? what kind of bull crap is this?

maybe when he joins this special club, they will give out 5D mark II to everyone ?

Why on earth do you need to pass a test first before you will be considered for joining the club? Isn't the club for learning photography in the first place?

I think this club is more of an acceptance and "i am a photographer because i have a dslr" club rather than a club where people join to learn more about photography. Lame club ever.

I think the club just wanna make sure they aren't recruiting someone with zero knowledge or experience about photography, because yes, we're required to shoot for the club during school events and yes, they do provide training. But the photos don't have to be fantastic because afterall it's a school club. I did make known to them during the interview that I'm a newbie and I only shoot leisurely during my free time. The fact that they sent me these questions to answer means that they're giving newbies equal chances as the pros to be recruited. The club did tell us that we don't have know the answers to all the questions or get correct for all the answers, but I'm hoping that getting them all correct would increase my chances of getting recruited, especially when there's so many other students trying out for the same club too.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers and help!!! =)

you want people to feed you, what credit do the people here earned?

anyway.
#5, you can say you took this picture with a Holga.

It's a school club, many kids join without knowing what they are in for. Doing a simple test can easily weed out most of these kids. Those that can answer must have done some homework, which is a sign of interest. I think it's a smart way. Give others the benefit of doubt.;)

Last edited:
By looking at the last 3 questions in the way they asked, i seriously doubt they way the recruit ppl...

This club sounds like a CANON club ..
Hahahahaha

I think the club just wanna make sure they aren't recruiting someone with zero knowledge or experience about photography, because yes, we're required to shoot for the club during school events and yes, they do provide training. But the photos don't have to be fantastic because afterall it's a school club. I did make known to them during the interview that I'm a newbie and I only shoot leisurely during my free time. The fact that they sent me these questions to answer means that they're giving newbies equal chances as the pros to be recruited. The club did tell us that we don't have know the answers to all the questions or get correct for all the answers, but I'm hoping that getting them all correct would increase my chances of getting recruited, especially when there's so many other students trying out for the same club too.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers and help!!! =)

And more than half the questions they are testing on are knowledge that good photographers are not required to know. And the other half are inaccurate.

1/200 cannot freeze all motion.

And you can mount a 17-55 EFS lens to a 5Dm2 if you do some physical modifications. And People shooting other kinds/brands of camera may not even know about EF-S lens compatibility.

What a load of bullcrap. I wouldn't join this club even if they invited me and offered me money to join.

Last edited:
anyway.
#5, you can say you took this picture with a Holga.

:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

And if answered as such, they will still kick you out? Coz you don't fit in. hahaha.

Really weird test what they do. Seems this is just another gear head club, ogling and drooling over technical specs and silly photoshop effects. I'd rather expect some basics about images, art, composition etc. to see who is really into visual arts. All the technical stuffs can easily be learned and camera specific details have nothing to do with taking good pictures. How many students of your age will really have hands-on experience and knowledge about full frame cameras and high end lenses? How many will really encounter this question in daily photography?
If you want to learn about photography then join some courses that focus on the image, not some equipment specs. Beside the various newbies outings here there is a section about courses and workshops. It's not for free but it seems more suitable than a snobbish Canon club with silly acceptance tests.

here are my answers:

1) depends. a snail is a moving object. 1/20 would do fine.

2) none of the above. more pixels doesn't necessarily mean you can make large prints. i could have a 80 megapixel handphone camera and i bet the IQ would be worse than a 6 megapixel dslr.

3) because APS-C lens on FF camera will not work well.

also, if he gives you a snobbish attitude, he is a cameraman, not a photographer.

4) telephoto lenses also have distortion.

the perspective here is a wide one, so it cannot be a telephoto lens. the hint is not applicable.

kangnie, pardon my words, but you can quote me to your school photography club - whoever thought of these questions needs to reflect on what photography is really about.

if whoever thought of these plays a large part in determining the policy of how photography is carried out, and will influence the activities in the club a lot, my heartfelt advice is that you don't join.

photography is for enjoyment. there should not be tests for people to enter a photography club.

question 2, if they want an answer, is obvious sign of a lack of understanding of equipment.

for question 5, the effect might be achieved with expired film, lomo camera and some form of xpro. doesn't necessarily mean pp was done.

which school are you from? i would love to express my views on such a measure in the form of a letter to the school. if they wish to encourage the right direction of photography, this is not the way to go.

Maybe its a trick test, if you attempt to answer any of these and thus end up being bogged down by meaningless/arcane questions, you would be deemed better off in other clubs except photography.

Last edited: