Some Personal Research....Viewfinder..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hi All.....

I have just come to a conclusion after a study in the use of LCD vs Viewfinder on a digital camera.

After using a bunch of consumer digital cameras and studying the photos taken .......comparing images taken using the viewfinder and the LCD....i found that the photos taken with the viewfinder is generally better and less "blur due to camera shake"

I realized that if a person handhold their camera (For inddor & low light shot) and frame the subject through the LCD and then pressing the shutter (S2)after the focus is done(S1) then there is a tendency of blurred image.

However, if the framing is done using the viewfinder(with camera resting on the face+nose......this will help to avoid "movements" which may have existed when holding the camera up front with arms out holding the camera. This will be similar to times when we use lamp post or other rigid structure to pres the camera against when taking low light shot...e.g at night.

I reccomend you guys to try this out......and see if the viewfinder helps in reducing shakey images.....

Till then...

regards,
me

Except with a non-DSLR cameras, half the time the camera is misfocused on something else. :cry:

Originally posted by linse
Except with a non-DSLR cameras, half the time the camera is misfocused on something else. :cry:

I don't agree. Unless you are doing close-up or marco, or the subject are VERY close.

Yeah, its true. Noticed that too. I think you tend to hold the camera more steadily becoz through the viewfinder you can notice minor shakes but through the LCD you cannot.
:eek:

The G2/G3 has about 1/4 of the viewfinder blocked but I still use it sometimes.
;)

Originally posted by Snowcrash
I don't agree. Unless you are doing close-up or marco, or the subject are VERY close.

I've given up using the optical view finder on my Coolpix 5000. Too many shots of people which are misfocused on the background. This may not be an issue with other cameras.

Originally posted by linse
I've given up using the optical view finder on my Coolpix 5000. Too many shots of people which are misfocused on the background. This may not be an issue with other cameras.

Hey thanks for sharing.

My preference on my oly c4040 is view finder. BUT I need the LCD display to adjust shutter and aperture, so might as well shoot using LCD.

I've always thought framing a picture using the LCD with the camera held out at arms length was a pretty geeky way of using a digital camera. Screams amateur! It's how I used my Coolpix 700 most of the time.

Of course, holding a camera at arms length in front of you would predispose to greater handshake. Common sense.

With a swivel camera (either Coolpix 990 or G3) it became much more practicable to brace the camera against your hip, groin or tummy and take the picture. This reduces camera shake quite a bit. Of course, with real focal lengths of about 7 to 20 mm, you're not going to worry too much about camera shake anyway at low shutter speeds. Motion blur would be a bigger problem.

Also, if there is a surface handy (eg fire hydrant, railing), you can rest the camera on it, frame with the LCD (swivel or no swivel) and take the picture. Better than using the viewfinder.

Taking pictures using the viewfinder (for me, anyway) is for vanity's sake, and the indescribable "shiokness" of snapping a picture through a viewfinder (and hearing the electronic shutter sound, whose volume can be adjusted). Ironically many of the shots I take with the 10D (which has no LCD preview) are taken blind from the hip, then checked during image preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.