Some People in Myanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheers

Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
A head monk going about his morning routine of collecting offerings in the streets.
32676501.jpg

32676502.jpg

A Myanmar woman waiting in the streets to present her offerings to the monks
32676503.jpg

A buddhist devotee praying
32676504.jpg

A old elderly Myanmar woman
32676505.jpg

32676506.jpg

Myanmar man reading newspapers looking surprised that he's being shot at
32676509.jpg

A street barber
32676507.jpg

G'day,

Looks like some fun you've had. Myanmar, hmm... wish I could visit someday.
The photos do capture the lifestyle pretty well. I like some, especially the man with the papers, just so... hmm... authentic if u ask me.

SOme pictures could be improved upon. The exposure was abit over in some. And the lighting was a tad harsh in some portraits ... highlights were clipped quite substantially, maybe some fill flash would help with less exposure.

Your style for the street shots (barber and newspaper) is classic nat geog style... flat perpendicular shot, which is good, shows detail and the scene well. But too much of it, can be boring... do try other styles... I particularly like wideangles... with large foreground image.

The headshot of the old lady, I wished a longer lens could be used if u were to go that tight. If u have to use that focal length, I would back off just a little. Last but not least, I do not like to mix B/Ws with colour images in the same gallery, but of course, thats me. :)

Well done.

Marcwang,

Thks for the critique.. constructive and detailed.

I admit I am really bad at postprocessing... most of the photos are just right or slightly underexposed on downloading from CF.
When I slightly adjust the curves on my home pc, they looked okay...
When i got to office, they looked so dark!
So I re-adjust them to look okay at the office with more brightness...
I am really at a fix over post-processing.

Perhaps, i will post some of the original shots here sometime this week and maybe any of the PS master can show off the results of their post processing skills.

The 1st elderly woman shot was shot in 50mm f1.4.. I want to show a hint of the right eye in sharp details and the rest in bokeh as a f1.4 can do. A longer lens cannot be used as it is in an enclosed area with limited space.

i like the shot with the old man reading the newspapers in the street too. as it is a moment... with that expression.. Looking at it now in my home pc, it is indeed looking over... Argh... Same goes for the woman in prayer

The shot of the monks in colour was a favorite of mine as it shows a succession of the monkhood in a file stretching all the way back. The first guy is the head monk of the monastry.

I prefer a traditional style to shooting in overseas country when it goes to capturing the lifestyle and culture, ethnicity, religion. contemporary styles like tilted angles are not my cup of tea to portray the lifestyle and culture, ethnicity, religion.

Do show more pics of the land of milk and honey in which you are now... it is a dreamland for many people here in this land of concrete and money. how lucky U r!

marcwang said:
G'day,

Looks like some fun you've had. Myanmar, hmm... wish I could visit someday.
The photos do capture the lifestyle pretty well. I like some, especially the man with the papers, just so... hmm... authentic if u ask me.

SOme pictures could be improved upon. The exposure was abit over in some. And the lighting was a tad harsh in some portraits ... highlights were clipped quite substantially, maybe some fill flash would help with less exposure.

Your style for the street shots (barber and newspaper) is classic nat geog style... flat perpendicular shot, which is good, shows detail and the scene well. But too much of it, can be boring... do try other styles... I particularly like wideangles... with large foreground image.

The headshot of the old lady, I wished a longer lens could be used if u were to go that tight. If u have to use that focal length, I would back off just a little. Last but not least, I do not like to mix B/Ws with colour images in the same gallery, but of course, thats me. :)

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.