Status
Not open for further replies.

yeppie99

Feb 26, 2002
community.webshots.com
1) 2nd hand EOS 33 with BP-300 - $750
2) 2nd hand EOS 33 - $650
3) New EOS 30 - $850

I am also stuck with the 'Eye control is useful / I never touched the Eye control after calibration' issue.

Are the prices at 2nd hand shops like TCW negotiable?

Originally posted by yeppie99
1) 2nd hand EOS 33 with BP-300 - $750
2) 2nd hand EOS 33 - $650
3) New EOS 30 - $850

I am also stuck with the 'Eye control is useful / I never touched the Eye control after calibration' issue.

Are the prices at 2nd hand shops like TCW negotiable?

Have you tried the eye control yet? Did you know that even if you buy the EOS 30, the eye control can be switched off if you don't need it and the focussing point can be selected manually? What do you shoot actually?

As for the prices at TCW, it depends. Depends of what you're getting. It depends on how well you know those guys too. I suggest you actually spend some time going down there and talk to them and try out the cameras yourself.

yeppie99, get the eos33+battery grip. You can live without it as I use d60 without eye control. Save the money to buy a good loupe.

Dont ask any more and go ahead! Case close.

yes i've tried out the EOS 30 and the ECF. i also know that it can be switched off. at the moment, i see no IMMEDIATE need for the eye control but was wondering if it is a worthy addition that could be used next time. thanks for your tips, i will go down to try the camera out and talk with them (if they allow testing).

can someone list out the worthy 2nd hand shops to check out in singapore? i only have a few.

1)TCW
2)The one next to CP Peninsula and those in the higher floors.

Originally posted by tomshen
yeppie99, get the eos33+battery grip. You can live without it as I use d60 without eye control. Save the money to buy a good loupe.

Dont ask any more and go ahead! Case close.

hehheh thanks tom. but do i need the battery grip at the moment? it doesn't eat that much batteries rite?

those cheap 75-300mm sigma or tokina or tamron lenses, are they totally crap or it can be a worthy 1st lens to start out? coz the price 2nd hand is really damn cheap.

I would stay away from those shops in the upper floors. Don't ask me why but that's my suggestion. TCW is a decent place to go to for second hand stuff.

The BP-300 is not only a battery case. It also provide a set of vertical controls (shutter button, main dial, etc) which is extremely useful if you shoot in vertical format also. However, I didn't really like the feel of the grip. Too small and too shallow for me. Ironically, with the grip on, shooting horizontal is more comfortable.

Eye control. Like I said, it depends on what you shoot. if you're uncertain but can afford it, then by all means go for it. Bear in mind, it seems that eye control is only useful to some photographers. It doesn't help if you're wearing glasses according to a friend who wears glasses. Many photographers get by with no eye control on so many cameras. Useful or not, only you know.

yeppie99, if you're going to decide between the EOS 30 & EOS 33, I'd suggest you join us during one of the photo sessions where some of us have the EOS 30. Try calibrating one of the user channels to your eye (with proper guidance I might add) and use the camera for a while to see if you like the feel of ECF.

IMHO, trying it out at the store is simply too much of a rush for you to decide which version to take.

Have fun with your choice! ;)

Originally posted by yeppie99

hehheh thanks tom. but do i need the battery grip at the moment? it doesn't eat that much batteries rite?

those cheap 75-300mm sigma or tokina or tamron lenses, are they totally crap or it can be a worthy 1st lens to start out? coz the price 2nd hand is really damn cheap.
yeppie, the point is: most of us are on budget, so make the best use of money. I bought eos30 because there was a promotion and the price was too good to resist. At 850 alone you'd better save one hundred on a good loupe (extremely important for viewing slides). Think about this, more than 90% photographers on the world dont have a ECF camera and those have may disable it. Yes, it's a great feature, but it's not as important as other issues like lenses. By all means save your money on lenses and loupe etc. camera is a camera and eos33 is good enough IMO. Anyway u will try my eos30 tomorrow right? The final decision is on you of course.

Some third party lenses are good and some not. Read the reviews first. If u dont want to upgrade too often, buy a good 2nd hand one. I know what u want, try to find a used Sigma 70-200/f2.8. You will be happy with it. But I doubt u could find it easily:)

thanks edmund and tom.

tom: i will give the ECF a thorough examination tomorrow and decide if i like it. i think i'll do away with the BP for the time being. just a bit inconvenience when shooting vertical.

latest update, i might be getting an eos30 from a guy for 650, if the condition is good. but if i manage to bargain eos33 at the shops for less than $600 i would probably spring for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.