some on architechture n street shots=)

Ben Ang

oops.. i just read the one pic per thread guideline. sorry mods.. anw,

hi all, thought i d put some pics in here since ive never done so before. im fine with honest feedback so if you think it sucks, by all means =D

e11ce006032985f37adf44efac4f5c95.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
- dynamic range and general feel

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
- a nice colour shot with more contras/saturation than usual. usually i shoot in black and white.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- evening, bugis street. just walking around n taking

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
- i like it, but think dynamic range could be worked upon. would like to ask if a polariser could help this as i prefer to get everything done in camera

thnx much =)
benjamin

Hi... Kinda unique shot that there are different colors on stair...
-But on the left side of the picture, it looks under expose... Is that for purpose?
-And your censor or lens need some cleaning... Notice some small spot on the picture... Around 3-4. @ the sky...
-Spoil censor pixel? See Left side of the pic... Have a bright white spot.

Cheers :D

Last edited:
Hi... Kinda unique shot that there are different colors on stair...
-But on the left side of the picture, it looks under expose... Is that for purpose?
-And your censor or lens need some cleaning... Notice some small spot on the picture... Around 3-4. @ the sky...
-Spoil censor pixel? See Left side of the pic... Have a bright white spot.

Cheers :D
yea sensor pixel spoilt it seems to me.

better go get it checked.

hi, yea, din notice the white spot. probably something on that balcony reflecting cos it doesnt show in my other pics. n also alot of dust on my sensor cos im always swapping lenses since i use primes. haha.

Interesting composition :) Is the lighting on the left side of the picture due to shadows from the clouds (seems like dark clouds on the left, bright on the right)? If so, nice capture!

The diagonal, pattern and colour of the stairs work for me too. :thumbsup:
Personally I would take less of the sky if possible as the stairs have lots of character!

Nice shot! Just that the bottom section (shelter thing) feels a little obstructing for a perfect shot. Haha!
Anyway, more please! :bsmilie:

Ben,

You have a good eye to spot the potential of this picture. It has the elements of a good picture in the making. I like the mix of light and dark clouds, blue sky, spiral patterns, strong colors and shadows. :thumbsup:

The trick is to put all these elements together as whole instead of a jumble of points of interest. It will not be easy but if I were you, this is what I would do -

I would focus on just one spiral staircase, particularly the orange one where there is good interplay of light and shadows. Play that staircase against the backdrop of sky and clouds and you may just have your money shot.

Go back to this spot again at about the same time and try the shot again. Bring a tripod and keep the aperture small for good depth of field. A polariser is good to have but not a must.

Good luck.

Interesting photo, for some unknown reason, my head automatically tilts to the right when looking at the photo

The pic is slanted... perhaps its his style of shooting...

The photo is tilted to the left, so to view it flat, the head should also be tilted to left. But for some funny reason, my head automatically tilts to the right when viewing the photo.

Guess what happens is that the photo gives me a feel of depth with the repeating pattern and the use of colour when applied with the tilt makes me feel that the photo is falling to the left.

Last edited:
actually i took a similar photo as u but not as nice lol.....

Suggest you go listen to the talk by Kit on Architectural photography.

Your photo can look even more dramatic if you crop it into a panoramic format. The focus as I can see is really on the rows of staircase from the extreme left to the right of the frame.

Start with a 16:9 format, crop away the bottom(roofs & whole stretch of shadow area) and part of the sky . Left & right of the image will remain.

If 16:9 is not narrow enough(from top to bottom), you can still reduce the sky further down until you feel it looks right(switch to customised crop format). I find it looks just right when there is a 1/2 inch of sky above the wall at the far left corner.

The idea of a foreground, middleground and background is more apparent when the photo is viewed in a panoramic format(with less elements). I see the shadowed building at the right as the foreground which leads me to the rows of stairs(middle) and then the background which is the tall building and the sky.

i can't say that the tilt works for me.

i thought going for the lone staircase fogged in darkness here would be worth a try - the one on the left.

I think as far as Architectural photography is concerned, its better if u don't slant the buildings. I think they have a meaning for it. If i'm not wrong it means the building is gonna collapse.
As far as it is possible get the verticals straight.

if you are just shotting for fun or for creativity then this picture is nice. =)