Some observations from The Dream Gal Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastiansong

Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Greetings to all

decided to swing by the New Paper Dream Gal Contest Finals held at Taka today. WHile I had a great time meeting up with a lot of fellow photo enthusiasts... I was in for a great shock

1)Leaning Tower of Pisa
While the organisers were nice to allow photographers to camp around the catwalk area, some photographers virtually chose to capitalise on this moment. If everyone just keep to their positions and not sway their bodies to the front, things would be perfect. But no, some just had to get the "optimum" angle and it is My shot that is the most impt. Once someone does that does it mean everyone have to follow suit as well? Everyone just dig into their respective position and shoot. THis is a fashion show for goodness sake!!! If you wan exclusive all angle shots, go hire a model and rent a studio.

2)Previewing shots
Something all digital users are guilty of (including myself) but there are ways to preview shots. After shooting, lean back and preview. YOu don need to be in everyone's view of sight to preview a shot and worse still, ponder over whether the shot is worth keeping.

3)Jumping Onto the Stage
To complicate matters, one CS member even jumped onto the stage. That act even infuriate the OFFICIAL photographers who had to get him to get down. He did get down but guess what? He jumped up again soon after.

4)Using tripod
Never use a tripod at such an event, why?
YOu need to manuevur and tripods are not ideal for such purposes. One chap was using a tripod and using setting like 1/15 because he didnt have a flash. Worse still, he kept swinging his tripod around and commanded a huge area for his movements. At one occasion the bride's dress was caught by the tripod and he didnt even realised it. Many thnx to another alert photographer who spotted this and helped pull the dress clear.

Four simple considerations... not to much to ask but would make everyone's experience more rewarding. Treat others with respect and you will be accorded the same.

Nevertheless there are good experiences to share
1)One of the photographers covering the event was courteous to ask the models to pose and thanked them. He was wearing a blue Subaru Polo shirt. Even when he jumped onto the stage AFTER the event was over to get a shot, he made sure he turned around and ask those behind him whether he was blocking and was quick to facilitate for shots. A real gentleman, indeed.

2)Some CS members were considerate to realise that they could kneel down to allow those behind to have a go. Yesh there are sweet spots but many were offered to those who wanted whenever necessary.

3)Channel I camera man who made sure he didnt bump into anyone and smiled at everybody... nice fella

As for myself, guilty of throwing a tantrum there and making a fool of myself. Apologies to all there who had to put up with me but discourteous people really get to me badly. Need to take up a course on anger management. Again I wont name anybody but you all know who you are... CHeers!

yeh man...I definetly agree...thats what happen during the Taka model show sometime back....and of course, not forgeting outdoor shoots orgranised by society....when you have many many photographers crowding around a single model...everyone is snapping all the way that every single thing around him was none of his business.....

anyway, what I would like to bring across is ...this happens all the time....especially during this kind of events....end of the day, still have to bare with it if you chose to go these kind of events....

just like driving....you might be careful when you drive but not others....ending -> accidents still happen...;)

regarding the point on using tripods....

i think it's fine to use a tripod, (i mean hey there's no rule that says u can't use one) BUT using a tripod right next to the stage can quite an obstacle to fellow photographers (we all know how much space is taken up when a tripod is mounted) and also because it might be in the way of the models during the show (eg. the bridal gowns getting caught some part of the tripod).

if everyone were to show some consideration and courtesy some of the more unpleasant moments could have been avoided~;)

Originally posted by MatthewSCL
anyway, what I would like to bring across is ...this happens all the time....especially during this kind of events....end of the day, still have to bare with it if you chose to go these kind of events....

just like driving....you might be careful when you drive but not others....ending -> accidents still happen...;)

fully agree... guess it was my first fashion show and was quite a shock to me but the experience was priceless.

as for driving, a lot of people don realise Schumi is a great driver cos his fellow racers allow him to be. It everyone turn nasty Schumi wont be winning, or alive for that matter.

For one moment during the shoot, I was wondering. What other pple up there or around us that did not hold a camera thinking?
Do they feel that our behaviour are abit "kiasu" ? going all out just to get that "shot".

Do agree with Sebas. There are some black sheeps here and there, taking shots at the cost of blocking, bump into one another without saying sorry and most furiously,they stand in front of you and block you throughout the whole event.
:what:

If you notice the aftermath of the event, the curtain around the stage came off. Well, how hiong we are?

Just been cautious and sensitive to those around you shooting, you don't own that spot!

Peace to all.

:cool:

The dress got caught by a tripod? Hmmm... never noticed that... I was on the left side of the stage, rite in front. It happened on the rite izzit?

From my angle, there were a lot of people using tripods on the right side of the stage, as well as at the rear. Behind me, on the left, i didn't see much tripoders there.

As for previewing, I almost never preview, unless I shoot one, realised from the 2 sec auto preview that something was very wrong(over or under exposure, blurred), then took a quick look to check. There's no time to preview. If wasted, then wasted lah! Still got enough ammo left to continue firing.

Yeah... I noe what u mean about photogs leaning over. On the first day, I made the mistake of standing by the ropes. Once the shooting began, 80% of my shots were blocked.

Photogs shooting on their own probably don't give a damn about others. That's why shooting with other club members is supposed to be better. If i got a good spot for one segment, I wouldn't mind letting another photog squeeze in to let him have a better chance of getting the shots he wants. Must give n take lah...

Well this is my first interaction with CS members, but I have to say not all of them are part of CS. The first group I approach was from another forum. These folks in this picture
taka.jpg
just couldn't care less about fellow photographers behind them, and kept pushing the barrier out. Picture been adulterated to show some respect, like I care :devil: Met a couple of CS members, one offered to lend me a roll of film when I ran out, the other offered to let me try his $1K+ L-lens, and I just got to know them for a few minutes. So what can you say? There are good and bad experience, don't let the bad ones spoil your day, and enjoy the good ones.

maybe if that part of the stage is a trapezoid, the back will not be blocked and the hopefully problem can be solved.

Originally posted by iceman
maybe if that part of the stage is a trapezoid, the back will not be blocked and the hopefully problem can be solved.

nice suggestion but people will still lean into the cat walk area and that is the main problem.

Good call on your part Seb.

You are right on most counts. Even yesterday, when i was there, there were quite a few rude persons (particular one CS-er whom i rather not single out and he jumped on the stage yesterday, asking the models to look this way and that. Not too sure if this is the same one that did so today.) but all in all, i reckon alot of us are first time shooters when it comes to such events, and hence the "excitement".

But it's still isn't any excuse for ill manners.

:thumbsd:

now you know why some events (or premises) don't allow photography without permission.
Crowd of photographers flocking right beside a stage can be a disturbance to the audience, and sometimes, to the performers too.

Most probably the one who jumped onto stage thinks he is a pro. :devil:

Note: I don't know who, and I don't care, cos I simply bo chap.

I must admit that I was one of those who keep leaning out but I did apologies to those I accidentally hit and I did turned to ask, if I’ve blocked them. These people were kind enough to say, “don’t worry it’s okie”, as they said to me that they understand that I was terribly blocked by *someone* thus my positioning of leaning forward. Regarding the barrier was being pushed further front; someone at the back was pulling the barrier all the time. Do you happen to know that the pole of the barrier is pushing against us? And when I did looked back to see, this particular guy has to guiltily look elsewhere. In the end, had to pushed the barrier away.

A little consideration for others does helps for all who were there just now.

*sighz*

I was pretty irritated by someone who actually block HALF the stage when he juts out to take pics..... He's rather big size and I've quite a lot of pics which included his head..... And the worst part is he came late and just took up the space.

Good points there Sebastian.

i had an encounter with someone ( no names mentioned here ) on saturday Wedding shoot. I was squating in front at the sides so as not to block others..
but half way thru, my leg got cramped and had to stand up immediately, so when i was rising half way, my head knocked into the person's camera while this person was aiming for a shot, and i apologized.. he gave me that " man.. wtf 'look' " .. well I was disgusted by this person's action, didnt we go there and casual shooters?

if u thought leaning over the barrier was bad, some people(even CSers) went into the enclosure to take snaps blocking the official's view. i even saw one guy waving a fake badge. it was a free for all.

Well... all I can say it's part & parcel of such an event, especially one that involves ladies on stage. If photogs like us wanna attend such things, better be prepared...

Some other events I had the chance to shoot were just as bad. People shoving & elbowing...

One other thing I noticed. During the peranakan show, when female models were out strutting their stuff, everyone was furiously blasting their shots off.... But when the male model came out, everyone seemed to suffer some kind of problem with their cams. Heads down, fiddling with some hidden button that will magically revive their cams the moment the ladies come out again...:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by finkster
Well... all I can say it's part & parcel of such an event, especially one that involves ladies on stage. If photogs like us wanna attend such things, better be prepared...

Some other events I had the chance to shoot were just as bad. People shoving & elbowing...

One other thing I noticed. During the peranakan show, when female models were out strutting their stuff, everyone was furiously blasting their shots off.... But when the male model came out, everyone seemed to suffer some kind of problem with their cams. Heads down, fiddling with some hidden button that will magically revive their cams the moment the ladies come out again...:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Ha hahaha.. Exactly! Especially the film users(why waste precious provia). Unusually quiet. No flash activity whatsoever. I even saw this guy firing his flash at the ground(adjusting his WB?) when the male model came out. Hilarious.

seem like everyone is getting bad experience for this event... :dunno: this is the 1st time i attended a fashion show with so many photographers around. i went to sat one, there is a photog in front using bounce card, where his flash + bounce card always get inside my shots. sometimes i got to avoid taking his bounce card in and blocked ppl behind me (william sorry about that, and anyone else i didn't realise...) at the end i kneel down or even sit down... just coz it's too crowded...

actually there were few ppl who was not going for shooting but still standing nearby stages, all squeeze together... :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.