some newbie questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedtest99

May 8, 2004
1) what is the purpose of lens hook?

2) since kit lens 18-55mm is about 3x zoom, why are some people buy 70-200mm, 3x zoom also right? why dont they just stick to their 18-55mm which provides a wider angle.

2) since kit lens 18-55mm is about 3x zoom, why are some people buy 70-200mm, 3x zoom also right? why dont they just stick to their 18-55mm which provides a wider angle.

Zoom is not the same as focal length. Please read up on the very basics of photography, especially focal length. Borrow a book or use google to learn more. You'll realize that wide angle is not everything. some people want longer telefocal reach.

And what's a lens hook? Or do you mean lens hood?

1) u mean "lens hood" i suppose? should be block out the flares which might be caused by sunlights or any other light sources

2)focal length is different.

Just read the above link and i think it helps. Btw hood is to 'prevent' flare, but to me it just an accessories to make your lens look bigger "Pro". To me it is the same as why use battery grip.

Some info, a Nikon 70-200 and those with gold ring/ red ring, they tend to have better IQ which make your focusing much faster and brighter. AFS doesnt mean fast. f2.8 make photography in dark places a better shooting environment. Not all places allow flash.

i've absolutely no idea what u are talking abt...???:dunno:

I think you meant lens hood.. A lens hood is typically to prevent flares in conditions where there is alot of sunlight..

The kit lens cannot give them the same range as a 70-200.. Do note that these two are worlds apart. Literally $1000 apart. An 18-55 is mostly a walkabout lens, with not much range, and when you don't have much space to work around with and you need to get a longer range, you'd get a 70-200.

Hope that answered your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.