Some Newbie Query (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

R4ng3r

Jan 18, 2010
To those experts and gurus out there,

1) Just want to enquire some information from you guys. What kind of lens you all recommend if i want to take sceneries (more for travelling purpose).

2) What is filter for? Is a compulsory for your lens? Is it to protect your lens?

3) What kind of flash attachment should i go for?

Thanks guys for your help. :)

1) Just want to enquire some information from you guys. What kind of lens you all recommend if i want to take sceneries (more for travelling purpose).
It depends, 17-50mm looks good for me unless u need longer focal length or Ultra Wide Angle.
Note: for night scene, remember to use a tripod =)

2) What is filter for? Is a compulsory for your lens? Is it to protect your lens?
Some people get it just to protect lens. However there are other filters like CPL, ND etc. If you know how to use them correctly, they can enhance your photo taken.
Note: You might wanna remove the UV filter should you encountered flares, especially during night shots.

Most of the time, indoor shots are likely require flash. You can try your pop-up flash. When you find pop-up flash no longer satisfy your needs. It's time to get a external flash, use a diffuser if necessary.
For nikon, SB600, SB900.
For Canon, 430EXII, 580EX2
you can also get some 3rd party flash like nissin etc.
As for the rest of the brands, i'm not very sure. perhaps other CS seniors can advise you if you tell us what brand & model you're currently using.

You can do a search either in google or is CS forum for more details.

I'm still learning too. If my concept is wrong, feel free to correct me.;p

Last edited:
It depends, 17-50mm looks good for me unless u need longer focal length or Ultra Wide Angle.
Note: for night scene, remember to use a tripod =)

Some people get it just to protect lens. However there are other filters like CPL, ND etc. If you know how to use them correctly, they can enhance your photo taken.
Note: You might wanna remove the UV filter should you encountered flares, especially during night shots.

Most of the time, indoor shots are likely require flash. You can try your pop-up flash. When you find pop-up flash no longer satisfy your needs. It's time to get a external flash, use a diffuser if necessary.
For nikon, SB600, SB900.
For Canon, 430EXII, 580EX2
you can also get some 3rd party flash like nissin etc.
As for the rest of the brands, i'm not very sure. perhaps other CS seniors can advise you if you tell us what brand & model you're currently using.

You can do a search either in google or is CS forum for more details.

I'm still learning too. If my concept is wrong, feel free to correct me.;p

Thanks. Just want to check with you, what model do you recommend for wide angle lens? 18-200mm IS? But i find that lens too expensive. Any other wide angle lens which is more budget and affordable? :)

All lenses can be used to take such images. Please read up about focal length (this nummer given in mm for each lens). Kit lenses (usually sold with the cameras as 'starting kit' cover the most usual ranges of 17-55mm (give and take a few mm).
Filter is for filtering incoming light. There are different types of filters for different purposes. (Google 'photographic filters') If you refer to protection then people use UV filters or clear protection filters (the latter don't filter anything). Use a good one (brands like Hoya, Tokina, B+W or better), use the multi-coated models or don't use any. Cheap filters are a waste of money and will cause flare.
If budget permits then go for the system flashes of your camera brand. Best compatibility with your camera. For tight budget you can have a look at 3rd party vendors (Nissin), but that requires more understanding of technology.

Thanks. Just want to check with you, what model do you recommend for wide angle lens? 18-200mm IS? But i find that lens too expensive. Any other wide angle lens which is more budget and affordable? :)

That is a zoom lens with wide angle coverage. Please state what camera system you are using so that people can recommend accordingly. Wide Angle lenses have a focal length of less than 50mm, being either a prime lens (single, fixed focal length) or a zoom lens (variable focal length).

That is a zoom lens with wide angle coverage. Please state what camera system you are using so that people can recommend accordingly. Wide Angle lenses have a focal length of less than 50mm, being either a prime lens (single, fixed focal length) or a zoom lens (variable focal length).

Hm, my apologies. Very new to DSLR so yeah. I am using a Canon 450D. What do you recommend i should get?

Thanks a lot for the tips. :p

Hm, my apologies. Very new to DSLR so yeah. I am using a Canon 450D. What do you recommend i should get?

Thanks a lot for the tips. :p

Your kit lens is 18mm-55mm. The 18-200mm also starts at 18mm. So you might as well use your kit lens.

Get what you need. If you don't know what you need then get the kit lens and start form there. Kit lens for Canon 450D: 18-55, get the version with IS (Image Stabilizer). Most reputable 3rd party lens (according feedback here): Tamron 17-50 (current one without IS, new version comes with IS - Tamron calls it VC [Vibration Control]). Alternatively (for more zoom range) try the 15-85.

Get what you need. If you don't know what you need then get the kit lens and start form there. Kit lens for Canon 450D: 18-55, get the version with IS (Image Stabilizer). Most reputable 3rd party lens (according feedback here): Tamron 17-50 (current one without IS, new version comes with IS - Tamron calls it VC [Vibration Control]). Alternatively (for more zoom range) try the 15-85.

Thank you! :)

1) all lenses are useful for sceneries, it's just how often you will use them. learn to work with what you have, see your preferences - do you feel like you need to step back more? or do you want to isolate something more? everyone has their own style. no need to listen to others for this, shoot more, and you will know more about yourself, what you should be buying, if you need to buy.

2) depends, got so many types of filters. i presume you are talking about uv. no, it is obviously not compulsory, and it is for lens protection. but the protection issue is debatable, and use of a uv filter (cheap ones in particular) can cause image degradation, flaring and ghosting.

3) depends lor.

1) all lenses are useful for sceneries, it's just how often you will use them. learn to work with what you have, see your preferences - do you feel like you need to step back more? or do you want to isolate something more? everyone has their own style. no need to listen to others for this, shoot more, and you will know more about yourself, what you should be buying, if you need to buy.

2) depends, got so many types of filters. i presume you are talking about uv. no, it is obviously not compulsory, and it is for lens protection. but the protection issue is debatable, and use of a uv filter (cheap ones in particular) can cause image degradation, flaring and ghosting.

3) depends lor.

Thanks for the information.. Just want to check,

1) Some people recommend me to get S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ultra wide lens. Is it good? Or should i get something affordable like FE S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Telephoto Zoom)? Or is there any other that you can recommend?

2) For the UV filters, whats the cost price for a good one?

Thanks truckloads :p

1) Some people recommend me to get S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ultra wide lens. Is it good? Or should i get something affordable like FE S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Telephoto Zoom)? Or is there any other that you can recommend?

I strongly recommend that you read up and learn what you are talking about. I have given some comments earlier. 18-200 is NOT an Ultra Wide Angle lens. It is close to a 'super zoom' - with a zoom range from wide angle to moderate telephoto range. Ultra Wide Angle lenses cover the range of 10-20mm. The 55-250 is a pure telephoto lens, but still zoom. The question which one is better doesn't make any sense at all - they serve different purposes. Please do yourself a favour and read the Newbies Guide and other guidelines here. Without knowing the very basics it's useless to discuss such topics.

I strongly recommend that you read up and learn what you are talking about. I have given some comments earlier. 18-200 is NOT an Ultra Wide Angle lens. It is close to a 'super zoom' - with a zoom range from wide angle to moderate telephoto range. Ultra Wide Angle lenses cover the range of 10-20mm. The 55-250 is a pure telephoto lens, but still zoom. The question which one is better doesn't make any sense at all - they serve different purposes. Please do yourself a favour and read the Newbies Guide and other guidelines here. Without knowing the very basics it's useless to discuss such topics.

Okay. Thanks though. :)

Thanks for the information.. Just want to check,

2) For the UV filters, whats the cost price for a good one?

Thanks truckloads :p

Hi R4ng3r,

What you have been recommended is a walk-about lens. Say you are travelling, and you don't want to carry too many lenses and don't want to waste time and lose the opportune moment. Because of the lens construction, the 18-200mm has to accommodate wide angle where as the 55-200 does not and as such, does not cost as much.

If you want something with longer reach, the Tamron 18-270mm VC. See this link for info about this lens. As to cost, it may be anywhere from $920 to $950.

An ultra wide angle lens would be something like the SF AF10-24mm lens from Tamron or the Canon's EF 10-22mm USM lens..

Bought a HOYA Multi-coated UV(0) filter for my telephoto for only $28. It's a reasonably good filter.

HTH.

Hi, use your kit lens and shoot more often for now. You will know what type of lens to go for upgrade in time to come. There's just too many options, depending on preference. Give you an example, I wanted a general walkabout lens but don't require low light shooting (f/2.8) but I do prefer slightly wider range than a 18mm and longer zoom than 55mm so I bought the 15-85mm. As I normally take scenic shots, I also don't require long zoom range as well (200 or 270mm). Happy shooting. :)

3) depends lor.

TS, i agree with night86mare, shoot more and see what is lacking in your current lens then you will know exactly what you need.

you might think that you like sceneries, but before you know it, you might realise you are into something else...

Zoossh has written some informative notes on lens choices for newbies. Look for it. It's in the sticky section of the newbies corner. It answers most of your queries, so you don't think the 18-200 is an ultra-wide angle lens.

Thanks guys for the recommendation and tips. I think i will use the kit lens longer before concluding what lens should i upgrade. Once again, your help is pretty much appreciated :D Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.