Some more tomatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

espion

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2005

eh....2 cents from a beginner....

what's the relationship between the tomatoes and the glass...are you trying to make tomato juices?

think tomatoes have a nice color by nature...black and white seems to steal away its asset....

well only 2 cents...if not worth it...try donate to the buskers....hohoho

thanks...keep alive...and shooting

think tomatoes have a nice color by nature...black and white seems to steal away its asset....
Sure. But colour tomatoes are another picture altogether.

This is a black and white picture.

Do you think tomatoes have no more "asset" in black and white?

One of the attractive thing and enduring quality about black and white, and that it didnt die out even when colour came on scene, is to make you see things differently, literally in a different light, which is what photography is all about essentially.

As to the relation between tomato and glass, again it is to create a situation to juxtapose two seemingly unrelated element. But see, again ... :cool: :)

Sure. But colour tomatoes are another picture altogether.

This is a black and white picture.

Do you think tomatoes have no more "asset" in black and white?

One of the attractive thing and enduring quality about black and white, and that it didnt die out even when colour came on scene, is to make you see things differently, literally in a different light, which is what photography is all about essentially.

As to the relation between tomato and glass, again it is to create a situation to juxtapose two seemingly unrelated element. But see, again ... :cool: :)

maybe in your picture i really cannot see thing differently....cos you tomotoes seem lifeless to me....maybe not to others and yourself...but to me...definitely i think with color it is more lively....why shoot flower in black and white when its color define its beauty? ...hmm maybe beatuy lies in the eyes of the beholder....

i see again...and again...i don't feel cool...but a rush of coldness staring back at me...hohoho

no offense...see reality not everyone can see the way the photographer sees...you might like it...you might be proud of your skills....you might be praise for your 'cool' insight....but not everyone share the same exquisite taste as you...not me at least...hoho

abeit good effort....be positive and keep shooting....

y....why shoot flower in black and white
I shoot lots of flowers in B&W.

Why?

Because a flower is beautiful not just for its colour. There are such things as shapes, geometry, proportions, textures, translucency, etc etc

And on lifelessness or liveliness, what do you think is the distinction? ie what makes a lively thing and a liveless one. If I take a dead dog in colour is it necessarily livelier than a living dog in black and white?

I shoot lots of flowers in B&W.

Why?

Because a flower is beautiful not just for its colour. There are such things as shapes, geometry, proportions, textures, translucency, etc etc

i agree with what you have suggested....if you have stripped away the color all it is left are what you have suggested.....definitely you are right....

...definitely you are right....
Its not whether I am right or wrong, but are you saying that you do not think shapes, textures, tonality, light, etc etc are enough reasons to be a photograph? that these are not in and of themselves beauty enough?

i agree with espion that lighting, texture, etc. are definitely photo-worthy even when colour is stripped from them. :)

but i think that even when a juxtapositon is intended they has to be something that ties the subjects together, so as to draw out an irony, or create something really striking to a viewer. the technical aspect of the pic is excellent, jus that the objects dun say anything to me. my opinion man. :)

i... jus that the objects dun say anything to me.
Maybe they need not say anything. What does a cloud in the sky say to you? Maybe nothing too, but it is still nice to look at. :cool:

Or maybe what I am saying is precisely incongruity that seems to be in harmony for unfathomable reasons, for there are things that are beyond words. Hence pictures and music too, and ultimately art.

But if you asked me were these in my mind when I composed the picture, the answer is definitely no, but just that the matte texture of the tomato contrasts nicely with the clear sparkle in the glass. And it started of in colour for yet another reason which of course cannot be seen here.

Maybe they need not say anything. What does a cloud in the sky say to you? Maybe nothing too, but it is still nice to look at. :cool:

Or maybe what I am saying is precisely incongruity that seems to be in harmony for unfathomable reasons, for there are things that are beyond words. Hence pictures and music too, and ultimately art.

But if you asked me were these in my mind when I composed the picture, the answer is definitely no, but just that the matte texture of the tomato contrasts nicely with the clear sparkle in the glass. And it started of in colour for yet another reason which of course cannot be seen here.

and this is why i suppose art is so fascinating, i.e. it's subjectivity and the debate it creates. well all i can say is keep shooting!

i only see a Black and white image with 2 subject but studying the same thing which is form. Other then that, i see no other relationship between the image. It looks like grabbing the most accessible subject thats ard to shoot and practise lighting. Maybe that is what you are intending for initially? Anyway the darker edge of the glass has slippedinto darkness. Might need to readjust ur lighting a little bit to catch the edges.

The wine glass catches my attention more than the tomato. Somehow abit distracting.

Nontheless, the tomato looks juicy even in B&W. ;)

let me attempt.

The glass is tall, sharp and strong.
The tomatoes are short, round and weak.
The glass can symbolise the successful ones in life, living a high life
The tomatoes can symbolise the lower runes of life, forever low, can not stand high.

To me, satire provides the contrast here.

The irony, the glass can be smashed to pieces.
The tomatoes can be squashed to juices.

No matter what you are in society, you are not forever.

Hope this makes sense

let me attempt.

The glass is tall, sharp and strong.
The tomatoes are short, round and weak.
The glass can symbolise the successful ones in life, living a high life
The tomatoes can symbolise the lower runes of life, forever low, can not stand high.

To me, satire provides the contrast here.

The irony, the glass can be smashed to pieces.
The tomatoes can be squashed to juices.

No matter what you are in society, you are not forever.

Hope this makes sense

hahaha ... I never thought about all these.

Actually as pointed out early in the thread I was just thinking tomato juice.

Then during post processing, when I viewed the red channel it looked good, and so it is.

No drama or philosophy. Just something that is nice to look at. That is all.

Espion, I think that your b/w flowers are really stunning.:thumbsup: Makes me look at my own colored ones and sigh, why mine isn't half as good as yours.:embrass:

Espion, I think that your b/w flowers are really stunning.:thumbsup: Makes me look at my own colored ones and sigh, why mine isn't half as good as yours.:embrass:
Sometimes it looked better in B&W than in colour, eg "Spathoglottis".

From hindsight I think this is so as B&W presents the shapes, 3D forms and textures in a more stark and uncluttered manner, without the colours detracting and "blinding" you to the other features in the flower.

Were I thinking all these when shooting "Spathoglottis"?

Certainly not.

I was busy fighting the wind and the light trying to find the optimum combo of aperture, shutter and ISO, bracketing like crazy. It was only in post processing that I "discovered" its B&W potential.

So if you ask HOW to make B&W flowers look good, I am not entirely sure as yet. Never analysed how I did it. But I can just say two things:

1. Make a good pic, ie make sure the light is good revealing forms and details, well positioned in the frame, clear focus, etc etc

2. View the channels when you are doing processing. You may never know what you will find.

Then maybe one day you will make good B&W flower pics too.

Status
Not open for further replies.