Some idea for a photoshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

psalmanazar

Nov 9, 2003
Pandan Valley
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've got a little tired of seeing faces of pretty models. So i came up with the following idea. Actually, it is something i saw some time ago on the net.

There was a bunch of photographers in New York shooting portraits of anybody in the street who wanted to be photographed. They set up a portable studio (simple drop, a chair to sit on, some lights and lightboxes etc.) in the street. People were passing buy and many of them just sat down to be photographed. Later the pictures were posted on the net (perhaps later an album was published). And i have to tell you that they were astounding. So many different faces, a record of variety of human faces in New York.

It would be fascinating to repeat the same idea here in Singapore. It would be even more interesting than in New York because there are so many races here. Really cool.

Of course, there are some technical and cultural problems with this kind of a project. First of all, if it were to be done in Orchard Road (or some other major street) a permission from Police would be required (i am not sure about this because i am an expat). Subjects would have to sign some kind of model release form etc.

Secondly, i am not sure if there would be anybody there willing to be photographed just like that. This could be the main obstacle to pull it off.

What do you think about it? Is it an absurdly unreasonable idea?

Many thanks for your comments, suggestions and ideas:)

Cheers

Psalm

I think it's an excellent idea. I've been toying with this idea for the longest time. If you need a buddy for this I would gladly join you. ;)

sounds like a great crazy idea. am keen.

we can do it "informally". forget about the chair and lighting equipment. we can compensate for them up in other ways. and so we do not need any kind of permission.

yes we need model release forms, if we are going to publish the pictures, other then just post it to places like this one here. We can prepare them before hand.

And the plan is simple: just approach and ask. We never know until we ask.

Hi Psalm,

If i'm not mistaken, someone did this at Orchard Road over the recent Christmas or New Year.

It was very interesting, and I'm sure if you do it for a longer period (say like every alternate Sat over 2-3 months), you will get a lot more.

As long as you're not doing it for $$$ and you're not part of anything that can be constituted as 'public performance/entertainment', I don't think you need a police permit, but I would keep the set-up very simple to avoid scaring people away. If you have lights and all that, people might think you're from the media, or you're charging to take photos and walk away. You might also invite unwanted attention from the authorities, who are duty bound to investigate. Keep to the public areas (avoid the open areas that actually come under the supervision of shopping centers) and you should be fine. However, there's no harm in checking if you need some sort of permit though.

Not to change your concept, but perhaps think of using a particular spot along Orchard Rd, and just take standing-up or a simple stool portrait? Initially, you will get much more response from tourists and ex-pats, but if you become a familiar sight, more locals and Asians might come forward.

CHEERS!

we can do it "informally". forget about the chair and lighting equipment. we can compensate for them up in other ways. and so we do not need any kind of permission.

yes we need model release forms, if we are going to publish the pictures, other then just post it to places like this one here. We can prepare them before hand.

I agree, the lights and props are not absolutely necessary as long as we can get very good quality photos with a plain background. Perhaps a suitable location would do:)

I guess, the most difficult part is to have guts to ask people. I can do that provided there is somebody with me:) then i have more courage:)

Cheers

Psalm

I think it's an excellent idea. I've been toying with this idea for the longest time. If you need a buddy for this I would gladly join you. ;)

Hey, that would be really great:) We need at least three photographers to take turns:)

Cheers

Psalm

why post in PnP?

Hi Psalm,

If i'm not mistaken, someone did this at Orchard Road over the recent Christmas or New Year.

It was very interesting, and I'm sure if you do it for a longer period (say like every alternate Sat over 2-3 months), you will get a lot more.

As long as you're not doing it for $$$ and you're not part of anything that can be constituted as 'public performance/entertainment', I don't think you need a police permit, but I would keep the set-up very simple to avoid scaring people away. If you have lights and all that, people might think you're from the media, or you're charging to take photos and walk away. You might also invite unwanted attention from the authorities, who are duty bound to investigate. Keep to the public areas (avoid the open areas that actually come under the supervision of shopping centers) and you should be fine. However, there's no harm in checking if you need some sort of permit though.

Not to change your concept, but perhaps think of using a particular spot along Orchard Rd, and just take standing-up or a simple stool portrait? Initially, you will get much more response from tourists and ex-pats, but if you become a familiar sight, more locals and Asians might come forward.

CHEERS!
I agree with you, this would have to be done over some period of time to succeed. After all, these the asain faces that would be most interesting if we want to somehow differentiate from the new york guys:)

Cheers

Psalm

why post in PnP?
Hey,

Simply because this is all about portraits and poses:) There are too many pretty faces here. Good portraits, as Wolfgang mentioned a couple of times, are about peresonality not about beauty:)

I hope that posting this kind of message here doesn't violate any posting rules. Is this what you had in mind?

Cheers

Psalm

Yes someone has done that in orchard road.

It is a good idea and it is worth to make the idea happen.

I would be interested in joining too.

Clarke Quay might be another alternative for location... water in the fountain area might be nice background. However, I guess there it would be better to ask permission beforehand.

some one done it and post in here before.

you can do that again, for sure.

don't think you need any clearance, as long you don't collect any money, asking donation, pestering people, touting any products, that should be fine, but best to consult some authorities first to cover your rear.

some one done it and post in here before.

you can do that again, for sure.

don't think you need any clearance, as long you don't collect any money, asking donation, pestering people, touting any products, that should be fine, but best to consult some authorities first to cover your rear.

Yupz someone done b4 last yr laio.... but go ahead by all means :)

And true.... wrong sub-forum...

Hi Guys,

I've got a little tired of seeing faces of pretty models. So i came up with the following idea. Actually, it is something i saw some time ago on the net.

There was a bunch of photographers in New York shooting portraits of anybody in the street who wanted to be photographed. ....

What do you think about it? Is it an absurdly unreasonable idea?

Many thanks for your comments, suggestions and ideas:)

Cheers

Psalm

Well, just do it, that is if that is what you want to do. Personally, I will continue to shoot what I like to shoot, and it just so happen to be what you are tired of. But that is you, not me. Personally, I am not interested in your project. Nothing personal against you.

Well, just do it, that is if that is what you want to do. Personally, I will continue to shoot what I like to shoot, and it just so happen to be what you are tired of. But that is you, not me. Personally, I am not interested in your project. Nothing personal against you.

That did not help at all....

That did not help at all....

help what? I have no intention to help nor participate, but I did encourage the TS to just do it, if that is indeed what he wants to do!

And you find that not helpful? What, do I have to lay out the entire plans and all the action items needed to stage such a shoot to then be counted as helpful?

Dam spoon feeding mentality is sick.

Yeah, if ure not interested then don't be sarcastic. Gosh, some people!

Anyway Psalm,

I think its a great project. I am definitely interested if you're going ahead with the idea. We could sit down and maybe think of a really cool concept for the whole thing.

Just drop me a pm and yeah, really excited about it.

Farhan

Yeah, if ure not interested then don't be sarcastic. Gosh, some people!

Anyway Psalm,

I think its a great project. I am definitely interested if you're going ahead with the idea. We could sit down and maybe think of a really cool concept for the whole thing.

Just drop me a pm and yeah, really excited about it.

Farhan

Sarcastic? Well, I did encourage the TS to just do it. Personally, I found it not interesting at all. And if you are so supportive and enthusiastic about this idea, why don't you pick up the slack, either help or go ahead and do this shoot. All talk no action, and dont tell me to shut up.

hey cool idea.
count me in.

we will need a license/approval from SPF.
i'd reccomend we can also consider the heartlands....
photostate a whole bunch of model release....hahhaa

Status
Not open for further replies.