some general questions about films (35mm/120mm)

sobrietyanonymous

Sep 29, 2011
apologies guys, ive tried to google some of my queries but there is a few i can't find

1. how do we store analogue films?
- the answer i got from google searching puts the optimal temperature at around 21-25C. given singapore's weather, this means the Fridge then!
- problem is can i freeze them? google tells me yes but i must thaw it before use (approx 1 hr)
- will freezing at sub zero Ts cause any damage?

2. if i buy films from overseas via online shopping? what about xray scanners used to check packages? will it "expose" my films?

3. what if i am traveling overseas? when i pass through check points they will put my cameras thru the xray scanners, will it expose my films?

thanks!!

apologies guys, ive tried to google some of my queries but there is a few i can't find

- the answer i got from google searching puts the optimal temperature at around 21-25C. given singapore's weather, this means the Fridge then!
Yes

- problem is can i freeze them? google tells me yes but i must thaw it before use (approx 1 hr)
Yes

No

2. if i buy films from overseas via online shopping? what about xray scanners used to check packages? will it "expose" my films?
Not unless you go for high speed films > ASA 400 (hard to find nowadays anyway)

3. what if i am traveling overseas? when i pass through check points they will put my cameras thru the xray scanners, will it expose my films?
Same as above

thanks!!

1. just store at your room next to your camera... put in fridge later forgot... found out few years later... all expired already
no point also u sayang your film, and later the lab give scratches to your negative, more heart pain... anyway u can see from few shop selling film in singapore, portra, ektar, slides, they put in fridge... superia and kodak gold/ultramax can leave outside liao :bsmilie:
take note singapore weather is quite humid -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293661
2. so far is ok for me
3. u can ask for manual inspection if possible, if can't then try to put some filmguard wrap
http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=711-12b
just don't put it in checked baggage, got 1 friend put ilford paper inside and all fogged...

hi guys, thanks for the response

some things i dont understand are:

1. why is it for speed ASA 400 and above films when we buy overseas, they can get exposed with xray scanners and not the slower speed films?
2. noted with thanks.. i will not put my films thru the xray scanner when i go overseas

1. why is it for speed ASA 400 and above films when we buy overseas, they can get exposed with xray scanners and not the slower speed films?
2. noted with thanks.. i will not put my films thru the xray scanner when i go overseas

xray scanner is ok for film up to iso 400 based on personal experience...i always just dump my films in my handcarry bag and let it go through the scanner..no problem of any sort yet..

as for storage...i just leave it on top of dry cabinet or else really will forget abt it if stored in the fridge since i dun open the home fridge that much

because films with ASA or ISO ratings at 800 and above are more sensitive to light, and X-Ray machines uses a very strong light source which can fog the films even if they are in the canisters / containers. So more sensitive films going through very strong light source (that can penetrate your skin and see your organs) will result in pre-mature exposure of your films
but usually with technology advancements, scanners nowadays are film friendly, so its okay to let them go through, although I still try not to let the higher ISO / ASA rating films or Professional films go through the scanners whenever i travel.

If you want, you can always take your films out and make a request to the officer for a manual check for your film, but that is subjected only to, (based on my experience), 1) the films are packed nicely in tupplewares to enable the officer to check without hassle, 2) you ask them in a very nice and polite manner, 3) you are not in any potential to hog any queue of any sort.
Some things to note are that they WILL open the round containers for some of them for checking, especially those that are in black containers, and sometimes they will still reject your request, and you will have to let everything go through the scanner. Just smile and say thank you and let them have it their way. you dont wanna go into the back room jus because of some films. Also, not all airports operate the same way with films, so you'll have to try your luck. basically Changi airport is quite okay with it, I went to Bangkok and Taiwan before and they are also okay when its not the peak hour periods.

Been through US, Canada, Europe and Japan with sheet film up to 400 iso and roll film up to 1600 (natura) without any problems through hand-carry x-ray machines.

I store my exposed film in plastic sleeves in my room and unexposed film in a spare fridge. BTW do not freeze Polaroids if you have any!

thanks for all the tips, guys! this has certainly been informative! ;)

Been through US, Canada, Europe and Japan with sheet film up to 400 iso and roll film up to 1600 (natura) without any problems through hand-carry x-ray machines.

I store my exposed film in plastic sleeves in my room and unexposed film in a spare fridge. BTW do not freeze Polaroids if you have any!

opps
i kept all my polariod in fridge :bigeyes::bigeyes:

paapoopa said:
opps
i kept all my polariod in fridge :bigeyes::bigeyes:

Can keep in the fridge (4 degrees) compartment, putting it in freezer will not be advisable as the chemical pods may freeze and expand bursting the pods.

mamypoko said:

To add on, I shipped Superia 1600 to SG without problems. In the past, I also did a control test roll where I brought a roll of Delta 3200 (not planning to shoot). Went to a few countries, pass though the X-ray machines 8 times. When I came back, I shot with the X-Rayed roll. It is ok. I did not notice significant fogging (if any). High ISO film tend to fog very fast, so store well and try to shoot ASAP.

Can keep in the fridge (4 degrees) compartment, putting it in freezer will not be advisable as the chemical pods may freeze and expand bursting the pods.

I only fridge my Impossible stuff, especially the new PQ 8X10, has and will be in the fridge till I use it.

All roll films, 35/120 and a odd pack of 4x5 here and there will be in the freezer till I ever need it - thawing time can and should be 2 hours, i usually leave it to sit overnight.

Any films that i anticipate i'll use fast and cheaper films (like superia, gold etc) sits on my table as there's no space for them in the fridge or freezer.

X-Ray shouldn't be an issue unless your film is ISO 3200 and above (iirc), i usually put my film in the old fuji egg carton cases (and jch's) and wrap once with tin foil. Nothing else!

impossibru said:
I only fridge my Impossible stuff, especially the new PQ 8X10, has and will be in the fridge till I use it.

All roll films, 35/120 and a odd pack of 4x5 here and there will be in the freezer till I ever need it - thawing time can and should be 2 hours, i usually leave it to sit overnight.

Any films that i anticipate i'll use fast and cheaper films (like superia, gold etc) sits on my table as there's no space for them in the fridge or freezer.

X-Ray shouldn't be an issue unless your film is ISO 3200 and above (iirc), i usually put my film in the old fuji egg carton cases (and jch's) and wrap once with tin foil. Nothing else!

You are shooting PQ 8x10 and other impossible films? I guess other than keeping it cold stored, it should be used as soon as you can. Their character may change with time. Had a pack of PX680 first flush, the chemical pods totally dried.

You are shooting PQ 8x10 and other impossible films? I guess other than keeping it cold stored, it should be used as soon as you can. Their character may change with time. Had a pack of PX680 first flush, the chemical pods totally dried.

i bought 1 pack of the PQ when it was offered to pioneers and also the CP 8x10 film when it was soft-launched but haven't had the chance to shoot because i don't have the processor. (haven't gotten around to buy a working one)

i usually shoot with the SLR 670 nowadays - and been using up my old PX680 FF (03/12) - images still not bad, but undeveloped patches on top are horrible.

right now 05/12 COOL PX70 is my film of choice, insanely good still, got some grain and character, no where as sharp as the new 04/13 CP but the character's just so different, less clinical feel.

PX70 COOL truly is the pinnacle of IP films, and colours seem to be able to be captured well on it!