Some from AH ..taken today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee all..

here's some shots taken today...at the deserted AH butterfly gardens..hahha probabaly everyone still CNYing...

tveyes.jpg

moth.jpg

emigrant.jpg

longfly.jpg

omg...look at #4!!! u actually managed to capture the hole-ly eyes!!!!!!!!! i think u are the only 1 in this forum that capture this...

how did u capture the holes???

Hieee Kcuf...

I actually used the 100mm macro coupled with an extension tube to get the magnification i needed. The imgae was actually cropped...but its placment of depth of field to get the best sharpness on the finest compound eyes.

Its tricky as the magnification gets too high as ligting may cause "blown outs".
Well...it took me awhile to get a hang of the DOF placment and when to take the shot.
After my last week's test and handling practice for consistency..from my dragonfly shot...

kranji2.jpg

I'm now trying out on smaller insects to "stretch" the len's resolvning power.
Still practicing... trying to handhold the ring flash instead of mounting it in front of the lens..

sulhan said:

I think this 2nd pic is even bettter than the previous 1 :thumbsup:
btw, could i ask, how come u chose to use a ring flash instead of lets say sb-800 and then perhaps diffuse it or bounce it off?
or is ring flash the only way to get such nice shot of the compound eyes?

Hiee Kuf..

The ring flash allows frontal illumination if you would imagine having light coming frontal wise.
If i were to use the 5600HS(D) ....btw...i'm a KM user...:bsmilie:

The illumination will be generating a side light type of image....which i did took a couple with this setup.

Well...i preferred the ringflash in this case as the controller have a convenient dial for changing the light power....can change lighting without taking my eyes off composition...

:angel:

sulhan said:
Hiee Kuf..

The ring flash allows frontal illumination if you would imagine having light coming frontal wise.
If i were to use the 5600HS(D) ....btw...i'm a KM user...:bsmilie:

The illumination will be generating a side light type of image....which i did took a couple with this setup.

Well...i preferred the ringflash in this case as the controller have a convenient dial for changing the light power....can change lighting without taking my eyes off composition...

:angel:

haha..icic..thnks for the tips! :)

wow.....I like #2 too.Look so mysterious and sooooooooo...........dunno how to describe lar..:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shappy.

Another excellent series, Sulhan. I'd love to go shooting macros with you if you dont mind, wanna lean some tricks from you ;p

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah cool shots man. Love the portrait of the fly. And it's quite cool to see the individual facets of the dragonfly eyes. The yellow butterfly does look a little odd facing away from the camera. But the yellow is really bright and nice.

sulhan said:
Hieee Kcuf...

I actually used the 100mm macro coupled with an extension tube to get the magnification i needed. The imgae was actually cropped...but its placment of depth of field to get the best sharpness on the finest compound eyes.

Its tricky as the magnification gets too high as ligting may cause "blown outs".
Well...it took me awhile to get a hang of the DOF placment and when to take the shot.
After my last week's test and handling practice for consistency..from my dragonfly shot...

kranji2.jpg

I'm now trying out on smaller insects to "stretch" the len's resolvning power.
Still practicing... trying to handhold the ring flash instead of mounting it in front of the lens..
This is very good.
What are your settings?

#2 is excellent! Compo and lighting are great:thumbsup:

Nice series! :thumbsup:

But it may look better if the signature were a little smaller or at the frame and not in the pic itself. Just some views...Hope no offence.....

hi great works!

Status
Not open for further replies.