Some film selection problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Hi there!
I know that these questions have been answered many times, but I can't really understand what's been written in the past few threads...

I am going to take some photos in a wedding soon (as a ultra, ultra, ultra backup ;) ) , and I would like to explore the different film options.

From what I have gathered in the previous threads, I have narrowed down my selection to these few films.

Fuji NPH 400
Fuji Reala
Fuji Press 800

But the problem is that I am not sure as to what kind of film would suit in which situation.

The situations that I am going to be in are:

Wedding dinner with flash
outdoors with fill in flash
indoors with fill in flash

So which film should I use for which purpose?
For general usage of these films, you don't have to use filters specially for the films right?
Thanks a lot!

Forget Reala. Too saturated.

For restaurants and all, use Press 800. Outdoors you might want to consider slower films like Superia 100 or Portra 160NC, especially if you use Nikon systems with no easy high-speed flash sync. NPH 400 has a nice colour also, if you don't mind one stop slower. Don't bother with filters also, keep it simple.

Regards
CK

So does that mean that I can't use NPH400 for outdoor shoots?

Just to ask, can I use Porta 160NPC with flash for indoor shoots?

For the indoor portion, I would like to capture some background light, and maybe some fill in flash as well.

How can I go about doing this?
I am intending to use a 50mm f1.8 for this..
I had read something written by you regarding metering with flash off and "overexposing with flash for less than 2 stops", but I'm a tad confused... Could you elaborate on this??

Thanks a mil!

Originally posted by SNAG
So does that mean that I can't use NPH400 for outdoor shoots?

You can, I have done it successfully. It's just a bit trickier if you get bright sunshine and you want to shoot wide open to get the blur background etc.

Regards
CK

Sorry for asking soooooo much questions..
But have you any idea as to how much the prices are for the Portra 160NC, for 35mm and 120mm formats?

And where can I get a better price for them?

Sorry for asking soooooo much questions..
But have you any idea as to how much the prices are for the Portra 160NC, for 35mm and 120mm formats?

And where can I get a better price for them?

Buy from Cathay. One of th cheapest around. Portra 160NC in 35mm format is about $5.50 or so I think. Not so sure for the 120 ones. Just in case you need it, NPH 400 is about $6.50, and Press 800 about $6.30. All 35mm prices. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Forget Reala. Too saturated.

For restaurants and all, use Press 800. Outdoors you might want to consider slower films like Superia 100 or Portra 160NC, especially if you use Nikon systems with no easy high-speed flash sync. NPH 400 has a nice colour also, if you don't mind one stop slower. Don't bother with filters also, keep it simple.

Regards
CK

Huh, no Reala? I swear by Reala for the day outdoor and bright indoor shoots! So it's all boils down to personal preferance.
That's why before I took on any wedding photography, I'll show my clients wedding photographs that using solely NPH 400 etc. Most of my clients like Reala or Kodak Porta 160VC so far, for the day shoot. They like the saturated colors.

Press 800, is abit on the grainy side for my preference. Usually I'll use NPH400 for the neutral color and ask the resturant to be brightly lit. No point letting the guests eat in darkness too.

:D

Hi there!
I am going to take some photos in a wedding soon (as a ultra, ultra, ultra backup ;) ) , and I would like to explore the different film options.Thanks a lot!

If you are just doing it as a backup guy, then may I suggest you explore black+white films instead? Try using wide angle shots on b+w films, that should be beautiful.

Try this films:-
Kodak Tmax 100
Kodak Tmax 400
Kodak TCN400

Originally posted by e_liau

If you are just doing it as a backup guy, then may I suggest you explore black+white films instead? Try using wide angle shots on b+w films, that should be beautiful.

Try this films:-
Kodak Tmax 100
Kodak Tmax 400
Kodak TCN400

Thanks all!
I shall consider about the following..
Or maybe I can get a roll of each and experiment with them instead? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.