Tampines, Singapore
www.pbase.com
Does this look okay??

bDSC_0006.jpg

bDSC_0012.jpg

bDSC_0014.jpg

aDSC_0060PS.jpg

Help me learn!

A few things to pick about... but guess you already know.

1) Colours: The colours are off (from my office uncalibrated monitor that is), I think your white balance is wrong or you were using AWB. Can be seen obviously from your last shot.

2) Exposure: Overexposure is acceptable but from what I see is extensive over exposure for 2nd and 3rd shot. Gown details are lost, rather, totally lost very distracting to my eyes.

3) Cropping: Cropping's very tight for the first 3 shots. Esp the 2nd and 3rd. I don't like to chop/crop at joints. Makes it very unsightly and a bit turn off. It's like being 'disrespectful' in a manner.

4) Motion blur: there's sufficent motion blur in the first 3 shots, the 2nd shot is way blur but can manage to see the idea behind the shot. Same goes for the 3rd shot.

5) Framing + composition: I can seriously see where you're coming on from the shots, the only thing that spoils the shots are the above 4 points. :thumbsup:

1st shot, the warmth and feeling + mood is definitely there, only minus point is the motion blur & colours and also tight cropping.

2nd shot, motion blur, makes this picture which I find has good value to the couple; wasted. Overexposure & blur loses the details & significance of the bride's actions.

3rd shot, perhaps you can move behind the girl and capture a DOF of the bride as well, I like this shot out of the 3 most, can see the girl is a bit shocked and shy. The cropping of the bride at the neck is most unsightly and looks like a severed head. Personal gut feel is that the couple would most likely wring your neck if they saw this... hee :bsmilie: Crop a little bit lower the neck would be nice.

It might be ok for you to think to crop like this, but sometimes the older and more superstitous folks would believe otherwise, so to be on the safe side, best bet is you adhere to 'folklore' and 'tradition' :)

4th shot. Nice composition, but alas, the colours & details of the gown... lost. :(

You seem to be using cropping to get the attention on the subject in the frame you want, good on that, but your camera control still needs some working on. Keep shooting!!

These are just my personal comments, hope you're not offended. I'm just a nOoB.

Yeep these shots are actually from my junk yard of miscues! :p
I forgot to lower the ISO, so the pics were sort of burnt. And the last one the WB is totally off.. (I din trash them coz it sort of focused on the hands.. I sort of got fetishes for hands... my emphasis was only for the hands in pix 2 and 3, prob would have been nicer frozen, but as i said experiemental! hehhe..)

1st shot, the warmth and feeling + mood is definitely there, only minus point is the motion blur & colours and also tight cropping.
<< Totally agree with you>>

2nd shot, motion blur, makes this picture which I find has good value to the couple; wasted. Overexposure & blur loses the details & significance of the bride's actions.

<< I do have proper ones lar, else they'll prob as you said cut off my hands and legs too!! hahah... just got doing arty farty stuff.. >>

You seem to be using cropping to get the attention on the subject in the frame you want, good on that, but your camera control still needs some working on. Keep shooting!!
<< Heehhe, used to using my F5, never had a problem. Still really getting used to DSLR, WB, ISO etc.. Anyway thanks to Woodman for his excellently kept D100!! >>

Lastly, Thanks to espn for his constructive comments.. exactly pointed out my weaknesses, will bare that in mind.. maybe i'll post some more standard safe photos! :p

hahah.... dun be too hard on urself lah. sometimes, experimental shots are lot more fun than doing the standard 'look at me and smile' shots. check out shooters like jOhO and iamasaint for their wedding shots. they are good at weird perspectives and angles, and standard safe shots. wat i like abt them is that they can make the most mundane things (rings, shoes... even a jacket!) look unique from different perspectives.

nightwolf75 said:
hahah.... dun be too hard on urself lah. sometimes, experimental shots are lot more fun than doing the standard 'look at me and smile' shots. check out shooters like jOhO and iamasaint for their wedding shots. they are good at weird perspectives and angles, and standard safe shots. wat i like abt them is that they can make the most mundane things (rings, shoes... even a jacket!) look unique from different perspectives.
http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wkcheah76/my_photos

The whole lot on Yahoo, tiny pix tho.. :) check out aDSC_0018, 26, 27, bDEC_0027, DSC_0190 etc... And erm I was supposed to be the bestman.. The groom had to tell me to stop taking photos!! LOL there was an official shooter.. :sweat:

wkcheah76 said:
http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wkcheah76/my_photos

The whole lot on Yahoo, tiny pix tho.. :) check out aDSC_0018, 26, 27, bDEC_0027, DSC_0190 etc... And erm I was supposed to be the bestman.. The groom had to tell me to stop taking photos!! LOL there was an official shooter.. :sweat:

muaaahhhhaaaa.... :bsmilie: 2 duties for the price of 1 ang bao! not bad wat...

i like DSC_0001. would be nice to zoom in even closer and isolate the 2 figurines. u got a nice bokeh. can try cropping in closer, IMO. btw, did u try to avoid using flash the whole time during ur shooting? if so, i think (as espn mentioned) u need to readjust ur WB to tungsten setting (mebbe). the shots indoors are either too blusish or yellowish, due to the natural lightings.

nightwolf75 said:
muaaahhhhaaaa.... :bsmilie: 2 duties for the price of 1 ang bao! not bad wat...

i like DSC_0001. would be nice to zoom in even closer and isolate the 2 figurines. u got a nice bokeh. can try cropping in closer, IMO. btw, did u try to avoid using flash the whole time during ur shooting? if so, i think (as espn mentioned) u need to readjust ur WB to tungsten setting (mebbe). the shots indoors are either too blusish or yellowish, due to the natural lightings.
Yeah i hate flashing, makes it real harsh.. nikon if underexpose can save.. the lighting was indeed yellowish, I try to get back the same coliors.. oh well still learning digital stuff :)

wkcheah76 said:
Yeah i hate flashing, makes it real harsh.. nikon if underexpose can save.. the lighting was indeed yellowish, I try to get back the same coliors.. oh well still learning digital stuff :)

haha... dun sweat it! i also dun like to flash indoors becos of the harsh shadows, even tho i use a stofen or lumiquest mini softbox. but, sometimes really bo pian. i shoot RAW on my 300D (NEF for nikon, i think). so, i can cheat a bit to colour correct in PS and C1-Pro. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.