Some enquries on DSLR

saDdyJ86

Jul 29, 2010
Hi gentlemen, i've search through the forum and doesn't seem to find what i want, just wanting to ask some questions on DSLR...

1. what is the functions or specifications that is important to look out for or comapre when purchasing a DSLR? (i.e what is the main function or specification that is important for a DSLR camera?)

2. which brand is better? canon or nikon? what are the difference?

3. how to look after a DSLR?

4. any gentlemen out there can recommend me a decent DSLR a) without any budget? b) with a budget of less than $1k?

looking forward on your guys helps. thanks so much and thanks everyone. :)

Hi gentlemen, i've search through the forum and doesn't seem to find what i want, just wanting to ask some questions on DSLR...

1. what is the functions or specifications that is important to look out for or comapre when purchasing a DSLR? (i.e what is the main function or specification that is important for a DSLR camera?)

4. any gentlemen out there can recommend me a decent DSLR a) without any budget? b) with a budget of less than $1k?

1) Most important main function to look for is that it can take pictures.

2) Both are good. Both have pros and cons. The pros and cons are model specific, not brand specific.

3) Keep it dry, do not bang it hard, do not drop it hard. try not to handle it with oily hands... etc..

4) a) if you do not have any budget, you cannot buy anything. You can steal, but if get caught you will end up in jail.

4) b) 1k can get you a lot of different kits (with 1x lens). If new: Pentax K-x, Nikon D3000 (or the coming D3100), Canon 1000D, Sony A230 or A290.

1) Depends on your purpose. Some people go for ISO performance, others go for light weight, the next ones need life view or other features. Just one thing is clear: megapixel isn't the answer. Ah, yes .. it should be able to take pictures ;)
2) Both, none, Pentax, Sony, Olympus ... wrong question. Difference? Sometimes none, some companies use the same sensors. The difference is bigger in the marketing department than in technical specs.
3) Best like a child: enough food, lots of love, 2x shower per day. - Search for 'maintenance' and 'storage'.
4) Without (defined) budget means unlimited? Go for the best each brand has. With budget of 1k? Check the price guides. Pentax K-x is a hot deal.
More to read here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

Answering your question one by one:
(1) When buying a DSLR, you got to decide what are the functions that are important to you. List them down and see which camera model fulfill your criteria. My criteria will not be the same as yours.

(2) Nikon or Canon are the same. You got high end and low end models. You choose Nikon because it is black or Canon because it got white lenses.

(3) You look after a DSLR like any other property you got. Taking good care of it.

(4) Without any budget can't get a DSLR but for less than $1K, you can try Courts or Harvey Norman.

Hope that helps.

All your questions are very common and discussed to death. I found most of your answers int the first 4 pages of the Newbies corner, so I'm not quite sure how you were searching.

That being said:

1. The features you need, of course. Do you need video? Do you need LiveView? A tilting LCD? Anti-shake built into the body? Most importantly, after holding the camera, how are the ergonomics? Is it comfy? Can you find the controls easily?

2. Neither is better, and there are differences that are well documented by going and reading some reviews for yourself. Then again, others might say that Sony, Olympus, Pentax are better than Canon or Nikon. You need to make up your own mind, be an adult and make your own decisions.

3. Again, extensively discussed to death multiple times here. Drycabinet. Don't worry about every drop of rain, it's not made of tofu.

4. No budget? Nikon D3X, Canon 1dsMkIV, Sony A900. Wit a budget of 1k? Too many to mention, though Sony, Pentax, Nikon and Canon make the best DSLR cameras in this space. Do a little research on your own and shortlist your own models first.

By now you have enough answers.

So go and try the different model, the one you feel comfortable in your hands is the right one. Buy it and start shooting and learn along the way.

thanks gentlemen for your wonderful helps, really appreciate every bits n pieces of informations. maybe trying nikon d3000. will go down one of those selling camera shops and try it out. but thinking of a noob like me, is it a waste of buying a DSLR?

thanks gentlemen for your wonderful helps, really appreciate every bits n pieces of informations. maybe trying nikon d3000. will go down one of those selling camera shops and try it out. but thinking of a noob like me, is it a waste of buying a DSLR?

If you intend to do this hobby thing seriously, there is no waste.

Maybe you can start reading first:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

When after you get your camera you can start trying out the concepts, and join some newbie outings to share and learn more.

but thinking of a noob like me, is it a waste of buying a DSLR?
It might be a waste if you don't think about it properly upfront and later find out that the camera is bulky, lenses are expensive, post-processing is cumbersome and actually you just want to snap snap and push the funny faces and V fingers to Facebook.
If unsure you better look into 2nd hand equipment. Does the job as well but will not eat up all your budget.

but thinking of a noob like me, is it a waste of buying a DSLR?

i've said this to plenty of people starting out.. that if you buy a DSLR but you don't use it then its a pity..

many people think they will get splendid shots like pros once they use a "HIGH" megapixel DSLR.. (especially aunties) but because of the weight and the size, they don't even bring it around unless they go tour or holiday or big event... so then like 3 times a year bring out and shoot (and also SHOWOFF their "PRO" camera)

if you are getting a DSLR, know why you want to get it, not because everyone else is getting one.. get it, USE it, and be happy with it... (well, at least until you advance to a level where you wanna upgrade)

hope this helps.. :D

thanks guy, well, basically i somehow find photographing quite interesting. currently i have a digital camera with me, and i bring it along whether i'm outside. saw any nice view or so i would capture it down. but problem with what i'm facing that whenever i capture it, it's not the same result as what my eyes see. i have doubt in capturing scenery, people, group, etc.. i have no idea if i wan to capture those, how shall i capture it? as in under what surrounding shall i capture it? i intend of getting a DSLR so as to produce better picture than digital camera. i don't know whether the reason i give is good enough for me to have a DSLR but i just want to capture and keep on capturing for a nice picture, don't need to become professional, but just for leisure only. :)

thanks guy, well, basically i somehow find photographing quite interesting. currently i have a digital camera with me, and i bring it along whether i'm outside. saw any nice view or so i would capture it down. but problem with what i'm facing that whenever i capture it, it's not the same result as what my eyes see. i have doubt in capturing scenery, people, group, etc.. i have no idea if i wan to capture those, how shall i capture it? as in under what surrounding shall i capture it? i intend of getting a DSLR so as to produce better picture than digital camera. i don't know whether the reason i give is good enough for me to have a DSLR but i just want to capture and keep on capturing for a nice picture, don't need to become professional, but just for leisure only. :)

why not think about getting one of the micro4/3 cameras or prosumers??

they offer better quality and manual controls and oso much lighter on ur wallet and ur bag when you carry around..

panasonic has a nice range, sony has the newest ones, samsung is also there.. or olympus...

I think it's hard for people here to help you if you don't have some basic knowledge about DSLR first, because only then you'll know what you want in your camera. I recommend reading this basic guide about DSLR and photography here, it's kind of long but it's very helpful, take your time to read it. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm
My general advise is, if you are serious about learning photography (not necessary to the point of being a professional, just willing to take the trouble to learn), stretch your budget as much as possible. Don't have thoughts like "I'm new, so I should probably choose an entry-level camera that's easy to use", because it's only a matter of time because you learn to control your camera.

Taking a good picture is not just by buying a good camera and pointing and then clicking the button.

You need to know the basics of photography, understand how light affects your picture and how to compose your picture. It is not to discourage you, but you need the right fundamentals before getting any results in your pictures.

If you need resources for basic photography, can either get it in books, read online, attend courses, or attend outings (but do inform the organizers on your level of competency, so the organizer can give you special attention, on top of other attendants to the outing).

Cheers!

Just read the links I posted a few posts back. Start reading and you will start to understand what is photography and what it takes to take a good photo. Then you will understand if this is what you want to do, or if this is all over your head.

A beginner entry level cam should be good enough...doesn't matter which brand, A budget of less than 1 k should be good enough..

Some of the things i heard is
Canon - Colour more vibrant
Nikon - Colour More Warm
Sony - Colour More crisp, sharp
pls note that this is not a brand war .. it all depends on individuals.:) Any slr is better than pns.. it is like taking what u see with your eye...

Nevertheless, what important is technique .. practise, practise and practise ..That all i have to say..

Ans: I've picked photography when my girl was born, like you didn't know and couldn't decide. Asked some friends with some 'good' photography experience for advice, first thing I learned is "how deep a pocket you willing to burn?", more funds means more leeway for features. So, SGD 1K is good, but not quite enough for a decent set-up, go somewhere around SGD 1.5K would be better.

But if you are really not sure if the interest can be maintained, then go the SGD 1k and be done with it, meaning you have to go for a basic kit, example, Nikon D3000 with AF-S 18-55 VR kit or Canon 1000D with EF-S 18-55 IS kit, or even the Pentax K-X with 18-55, etc. Bottom line, these are about the most decent kits within the SGD 1k budget. Advantages/disadvantages here, price for a decent kit, some hand-held help from camera, do not expect some high ISO capabilities from most of these cameras (meaning you can't expect to shoot decent night scenes hand-held), with the exception of the Pentax K-x listed above ( that can outperform even the current mid or high end bodies including Nikon, Canon and Pentax's own K-7) , however if you do not have DSLR experience, you will be pleased with the results even going this route compared to compacts.

If you could and 'want' to go the SGD 1.5 K route, Nikon D90 (or if you can wait the next iteration of the 'prosumer' kit, should be announced around end this month) or the Canon 550D/500D route. Advantages/Disadvantages here, better performance bodies and/or kit lens (meaning wider focal range, not bigger aperture lens), these bodies have better features that you will not outgrow as soon as the budget bodies. In the case of Nikon, wider range of lens available due to "Screw-driver" for older AF-D lens, which could not be auto-focusing in the Nikon D3000/5000 series, also the Nikon D3000/5000 series do not 'officially' has the Vertical Battery Grips, thus shooting vertical shots requires more practices to get desired results, meaning you need a long time to get good vertical shots.

[/QUOTE]2. which brand is better? canon or nikon? what are the difference?[/QUOTE]
ANS: For a beginner, no difference, a lot of the features will require hefty investments later, including Flash-Guns, bigger and better lenses (F/2.8 lenses, L Lenses for Canon). My advice, pick up the models you intend to buy and hand-hold them, the feel in the hand will tell you which model/brand you favor, in my course of purchase the Nikon D80 beats the Canon 400D in the 'feel' or ergonomics department. I'm still, using my D80 now.

Another advice I have is, are your friends Canon or Nikon users? Friends are a good avenue for advice, meetups, equipment trials/borrow, etc..

Also, do more reading prior to purchase, each brand has it's strengths, Nikon's photos has more punchy colors, Canon is better in reproducing what you see, Nikon systems tend to perform better with 'Aperture' mode due to a arguably better metering system, Canon is legendary in 'Shuttle' mode, being the official camera system in the US National Football League, etc.. Like I said, how much you want to pay now is the key, which system shall be determined by you after you have set the budget.

I'm a Nikon user myself, but I'm also interested in learning to use a Canon system or even a Pentax. In my opinion, each system is good in its own ways, provided the user learned to exploit the features to the limits. You can find some very good photos from people using only 'puny' 18-55 lens producing amazing shots.

[/QUOTE]3. how to look after a DSLR?[/QUOTE]

ANS: Buy a decent Dry-Cabinet, a necessity in Singapore weather. DSLRs are pretty hardy, provided you do not soak it in rain, knock it excessively, etc..

ANS: 1.) Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS, price around SGD750, can add a vertical grip if size is an issue.

2.) Nikon D3000 with 18-55 VR, current on-going promotion SGD 888 for the kit, add SGD 199 to get the 55-200 VR lens with one additional battery, worth the price, and covered for both long and short ranges. But no official vertical grip, third party grip's available but requires some unusual means to shoot vertically.

3.) Nikon D5000 with 18-55 VR, same as D3000, but a better performing sensor, with articulating screen.

4.) Nikon D90 with 18-105 VR, cost more but versatile lens, better high ISO performance.

5.) Canon 550D with 18-135 IS, or with 18-55 IS, see for yourself what's available.

6.) Canon 500D with 18-55 IS, or with 18-200 IS kit, see for yourself what's available.

7.) Pentax K-X with 18-55, vibration compensation built in body already, decent high ISO performance, but the lack of focus points indication in the penta-mirror may be a concern.

Oh, please remove the 'without budget' part, as the answers will be either moot or you will not want to go there at all, without any dslr knowledge.

[/QUOTE]looking forward on your guys helps. thanks so much and thanks everyone. :)[/QUOTE]

ANS: Best of luck in your quest for a DSLR, sure you will not regret doing so when you start to see some amazing results from your new DSLR. ;)

Last edited:
.....But if you are really not sure if the interest can be maintained, then go the SGD 1k and be done with it, meaning you have to go for a basic kit, example, Nikon D3000 with AF-S 18-55 VR kit or Canon 1000D with EF-S 18-55 IS kit, or even the Pentax K-X with 18-55, etc. Bottom line, these are about the most decent kits within the SGD 1k budget. Advantages/disadvantages here, price for a decent kit, some hand-held help from camera, do not expect some high ISO capabilities from camera (meaning you can't expect to shoot decent night scenes hand-held), however if you do not have DSLR experience, you will be pleased with the results even going this route compared to compacts.

While I applaud your dedication to provide a lot of advice to our seeker here, I strongly disagree with you in the comments you made (highlight in red).

Pentax Kx has excellent high ISO performance, matching (and in some cases surpassing) D5000, D90, D300, 550D, 50D and 7D.

Pentax Kx is using the same 12MP sensor found in Nikon D5000/D90/D300s and Sony A500.

So entry level and cheap doesn't mean it cannot perform well in high ISO shooting. Please try to get accurate information yourself before sharing. If not, you might mislead our seeker here.

Last edited:
And TS, if you are aiming for the D3000, you might want to hold off a couple of weeks before the replacement model D3100 is released.

The D3100 is leaked to have the following specs:

14 MP CMOS Sensor (23.2 x 15.5 mm)
Live View
3 inch Display
100 – 12800 ISO
ISO setting manual or automatic
11 AF points
full HD Video (1920 x 1080)
new EXPEED2 processor
improved objects recognition for the AF control
improved in-camera menu
user can save picture profiles