some enquires, dirt inside lens

xbottyx

Jun 19, 2011
Hi guys,

I recently just bought Canon EOS 600D Kit 1 (18-55mm f3.5-5.6). And yesterday I realised that inside my lens there are ONE dirt inside my lens and it cannot be removed, unless I send it to canon service centre for cleaning. This afternoon I contacted Canon service hotline and question them regarding the dirt I had in my lens. Below is what they replied me.

Dear Jeffrey Pang,

Thank you for your enquiry.
It is normal for lens to have some dust inside the lens elements but it will not affect the image taken.
Alternatively, you could send in the lens to our Customer Service Centre for checking at:

No 1 HarbourFront Avenue

#04-01 Keppel Bay Tower

Singapore 098632

Tel: (65) 67998686

Operating Hours: Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 7pm

Closed on Sat, Sun & Public Holiday

There is no assessment charge for checking and it will takes about 7 or more working days depending on spare parts availability. There is an additional express charge of $42.80 within 1 working day and $26.75 within 3 working days.

PS: For warranty service, please bring along the Canon warranty card or printout the "On-Line" hardcopy with proof of purchased receipt for verification.

The Terms & Conditions of Warranty does not covers cleaning, maintenance and accidental damaged of camera and lens, only on manufacturer's defects.

*My question is, is it normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens? and will the dirt/dust affect my photography image quality? If it isnt normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens, does it means its a defects lens?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I recently just bought Canon EOS 600D Kit 1 (18-55mm f3.5-5.6). And yesterday I realised that inside my lens there are ONE dirt inside my lens and it cannot be removed, unless I send it to canon service centre for cleaning. This afternoon I contacted Canon service hotline and question them regarding the dirt I had in my lens. Below is what they replied me.

Dear Jeffrey Pang,

Thank you for your enquiry.
It is normal for lens to have some dust inside the lens elements but it will not affect the image taken.
Alternatively, you could send in the lens to our Customer Service Centre for checking at:

No 1 HarbourFront Avenue

#04-01 Keppel Bay Tower

Singapore 098632

Tel: (65) 67998686

Operating Hours: Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 7pm

Closed on Sat, Sun & Public Holiday

There is no assessment charge for checking and it will takes about 7 or more working days depending on spare parts availability. There is an additional express charge of $42.80 within 1 working day and $26.75 within 3 working days.

PS: For warranty service, please bring along the Canon warranty card or printout the "On-Line" hardcopy with proof of purchased receipt for verification.

The Terms & Conditions of Warranty does not covers cleaning, maintenance and accidental damaged of camera and lens, only on manufacturer's defects.

*My question is, is it normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens? and will the dirt/dust affect my photography image quality? If it isnt normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens, does it means its a defects lens?

Thanks

It's extremely common for dust to be inside a lens, if it does not affect the image taken, you don't have to worry about it.

spree86, thx for your advice :) finally i can have a peace of mind :p

Yeah actually it is quite common to have tiny dust inside lens especially kit lens which is not water or dust sealed. But if your lens is weather sealed like most of the "L" series lenses than there shouldn't be dust in your lens especially newly bought ones. That is what I notice on my lenses.

Yeah actually it is quite common to have tiny dust inside lens especially kit lens which is not water or dust sealed. But if your lens is weather sealed like most of the "L" series lenses than there shouldn't be dust in your lens especially newly bought ones. That is what I notice on my lenses.

Even for weather sealed lenses, fine dust and sand still can get in

If every dust u go for cleaning . Probably u need to send in after every alt usage

Well, more robust sealing should help keep more dust away, but dust is everywhere. Impossible to avoid. Even clean-rooms have dust, just that the density (ppm) is very very small.

On my zoomed lens I see 2 black specks ~ 0.5mm or smaller (not the transparent dust we are talking about) at the sides.. it does not show up in IQ and the pictures taken still as sharp.

Just also bought a new NIKON 50mm 1.8G lens locally... now 3 days later already got dust so it cannot be prevented one

On my zoomed lens I see 2 black specks ~ 0.5mm or smaller (not the transparent dust we are talking about) at the sides.. it does not show up in IQ and the pictures taken still as sharp.

Just also bought a new NIKON 50mm 1.8G lens locally... now 3 days later already got dust so it cannot be prevented one

BTW anyone could have a clue where these 2 BLACK specks could come from ? Dust are transparent but these are opaque

Show pictures? Otherwise we don't know what you are talking about.

BTW anyone could have a clue where these 2 BLACK specks could come from ? Dust are transparent but these are opaque

It can be anything... stain, really big dirt (dust), fungus... like what Crystal said... show us some pics.

Aiyo, if it doesn't show up in IQ, and it doesn't look spider-web like, then I won't worry la.

Just take pictures, if you spend so much time examining the little nooks and crannies in all your equipment you just add a whole load of headache and fuss and basically it is a waste of time because it amounts to nothing - if these things don't affect your image.

just ignore if it doesnt affect your IQ lo.. i got dust on my lens also..

dust is everywhere hahaha

i have dust in one of my my weather sealed lens too
doesn't affect IQ