Some dust on the camera. Hope can advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

englee

Nov 12, 2006
Hi All,

Recently, I found some "unknwon" or dust on my camera. At first I thought is the lense has some dust on it but when I try to change another lense the problem still there. So I think this should be the camera problem. The dust look like some mark sign. Not sure how it happen.

I am using D70. After I took some picture, I found that there is some dust on the picture and its always appear at the same location of the picture that I take. I think the dust is on the CCD. Correct me if I am wrong. Can I check with you all guys how to make this thing away? I try to call Nikon service centre and they charge SG$140 for the service which I feel a bit expensive for me.

Hope you all guys can give some advise on this.

Thank you

sykestang

Jan 18, 2003
studiospace
sykestang.clubsnap.org
Hi All,

Recently, I found some "unknwon" or dust on my camera. At first I thought is the lense has some dust on it but when I try to change another lense the problem still there. So I think this should be the camera problem. The dust look like some mark sign. Not sure how it happen.

I am using D70. After I took some picture, I found that there is some dust on the picture and its always appear at the same location of the picture that I take. I think the dust is on the CCD. Correct me if I am wrong. Can I check with you all guys how to make this thing away? I try to call Nikon service centre and they charge SG$140 for the service which I feel a bit expensive for me.

Hope you all guys can give some advise on this.

Thank you
CCD cleaning charges by NSC should be ~$25. The quoted price of $140 by NSC, I believe is for general servicing of the whole camera body.

Actually with proper cleaning equipment like can Jet-air and CCD cleaning kit, you can actually clean it out yourself. :)

englee

Nov 12, 2006
Hi sykestang,

Thanks for the quick respond. Can I check with you where can I get Jet-air and CCD cleaning kit and how much they cost normally? I am new in singapore. Not sure where can I find all these things. Hope can advise.

Thanks.

sykestang

Jan 18, 2003
studiospace
sykestang.clubsnap.org
Hi sykestang,

Thanks for the quick respond. Can I check with you where can I get Jet-air and CCD cleaning kit and how much they cost normally? I am new in singapore. Not sure where can I find all these things. Hope can advise.

Thanks.
A canister of compressed air will cost in between $10-$20 depends on the brand, the amount of compressed air by volume, and the power of the jet.

Usual photography shops like Ruby Photo, Cathay Photo does sell these compressed air. However for me, I normally get them at Challenger, the 3M Air Duster ~$9.90(member) or get it in Bras Baseh complex those air shop. :)

As for sensor cleaning kit, frankly speaking, I dun own any. However I do heard there are some quite good ones around. But to me, the price is over-priced sold by Cathay Photo. And IMHO, I find cleaning your own sensor is a little risky, so I would always want to refer to the professionals at NSC. :)

My advise is that you get a canister of the compressed air and try cleaning yourself first. If it fails, send it to NSC for a sensor cleaning, NOT GENERAL SERVICING, ~$25. The process of sensor cleaning by NSC is quite fast, ~10-15mins. Do remember to bring a lens to do a test for dust. If you're not sure how to do the test, call me 96456423 after office hours... we can meet up and I can show you how. :)

Scaglietti

Jan 14, 2005
A couple of things to note when using compressed air canister.

1. Make sure canister is upright so that you will not get liquid propellant coming out of the nozzle.

2. Use in short bursts. Air coming out of the can will be chilled due to the pressure release. Prolonged spraying may cause condensation on the sensor.

BC;)

englee

Nov 12, 2006
Hi Bro sykestang ,

Thanks for your help. I think I will send to NSC for the clean up on the CCD. I will contact you if I need your help. Once again, thank you very much

englee

Nov 12, 2006
Hi Scagletti,

Thanks for your advise. Think I will send to NSC for clean up.

Artosoft

Aug 31, 2005
Tanjong Katong
Before sending to nsc, no harm to try to blow the dust on the sensor using Mirror Lockup Function and hand air blower (ie.:Gizotto rocket air blower). If the dust still there, you also need to send your camera to nsc.

But if you not dare to try, let nsc do the job.

Regards

hi, regarding this i also have the same problem... but mines got one more...

My mirror seems to be stained by liquid stains or something... how m i going to remove it ???

My censor i blow the dust off using normal air pump... it works...

huggable

Nov 2, 2004
East side
Just wondering, can we use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust?

mcn

Oct 6, 2005
u cud

but probably u will end up removing not only dust

englee

Nov 12, 2006
Hi Guys,

Went to NSC yesterday and clean up the sensor. Now my camera is working fine ;)

Its cost 26.25 after GST. Thanks guys for all the helps and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.