Some dragonfly shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

kssim

Hi,

Some of my dragonfly shots taken on at Botanic Garden. All comments are welcome. :)

BotanicGarden26May02Dragonfly01.jpg

BotanicGarden26May02Dragonfly03.jpg

BotanicGarden26May02Dragonfly02.jpg

Originally posted by megaweb
nice ...

can see tt u took them in the noon time or hot weather ...

Thanks... Was taken around 11am.... The sky was overcasted though and look as if it's going to rain. Say, what makes you think that it was taken in the noon time?

KS

Originally posted by kssim

what makes you think that it was taken in the noon time?

when the dragonfly tilt its tail high up or pointing to the sky ... this is to prevent body heat/water loss

when the dragonfly tilt its tail high up or pointing to the sky ... this is to prevent body heat/water loss

Wow, cool! :cool:
Thanks for the little educational info here. Never knew that myself. I was still wondering where are the tell-tale signs in exposure/lighting that lead you to that conclusion until you mention the part on the tail. :embrass:

Hmmm... So the dragonflies told you that? :D

KS

:eek:

Didn't know about this.

these are really nice...it's not easy to get insect macros with a SLR lens yah...what are the aperture sizes you used for these?

1st shot: It is quite nice, except for the wingtip that was cropped out.
2nd and 3rd shots: The colour of the background is a little distracting, but the rest of the photos are good.

wah, really King of insects. Even understand them. :D

Originally posted by Tweek
these are really nice...it's not easy to get insect macros with a SLR lens yah...what are the aperture sizes you used for these?

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments. I was using the Nikkor 105 Micro for the shot. Aperture sizes range from f8 to f22 for the various shots that I took that day. Fill-in flash was done with the flash mounted such that the flash head was just slightly above the lens and pointed 45 degrees downwards.

KS

Originally posted by crazyhorse
1st shot: It is quite nice, except for the wingtip that was cropped out.
2nd and 3rd shots: The colour of the background is a little distracting, but the rest of the photos are good.

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable comments.
The wingtip was cropped out for the first photo as I thought it was getting way out of focus at that end. Perhaps I should have left that in.
Was testing out the new flash arrangement that day and wasn't really paying too much attention to the background then. Should probably sent more power to the flash and darken the background to reduce the amount of distraction. :)

KS

Very nice shots, have never saw a dragon fly point it's tail so high b4......

Wa....megaweb, u really know dragon flies inside out liao ah :D

Really king of insects :D

Status
Not open for further replies.