Some doubt in macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
I have a tamron 90mm macro lens....and i did try to take some shoots on small little insect..due to its size i have to move very close but yet i cant focus due to the MFD is 29cm..
and if i stay abit far the insect look so small in the picture...so wondering...how do some people can manage to take those insect yet look so big and sharp??

MF will help to achieve a nearer distance, however there is still limit.
If you want to get extreme close, buy a extender or macro click on filter like Raynox (which i am getting it today :eek:))

MF will help to achieve a nearer distance, however there is still limit.
If you want to get extreme close, buy a extender or macro click on filter like Raynox (which i am getting it today :eek:))

Any specific model so i can do up a search??

Switch the focus limit dial on your Tamron 90mm macro from "limit" to "full" and you will get a working distance of 9.9cm, which will yield a magnification of 1:1. You're using a macro lens and don't need any addons.

Switch the focus limit dial on your Tamron 90mm macro from "limit" to "full" and you will get a working distance of 9.9cm, which will yield a magnification of 1:1. You're using a macro lens and don't need any addons.

i am using "full" mode...but the insect really too small...and i think i need to get past 1:1..

So are you able to focus at 10cm (instead of the 29cm you mentioned)? It is very rare that one needs to go beyond life size (1:1). The magnification at 29cm is very different from 10cm.

So are you able to focus at 10cm (instead of the 29cm you mentioned)? It is very rare that one needs to go beyond life size (1:1). The magnification at 29cm is very different from 10cm.

Ya i am able to focus at 10cm...but the insect look very small ... not big enough

Ya i am able to focus at 10cm...but the insect look very small ... not big enough

Ok. That's very different from what you mentioned your 1st post. If you want to get larger then 1:1, you can either use a diopter lens like what thomasq suggested, or add an extension tube to your 90 macro.

Ok. That's very different from what you mentioned your 1st post. If you want to get larger then 1:1, you can either use a diopter lens like what thomasq suggested, or add an extension tube to your 90 macro.

diopter lens or extension tube which one is better?

I saw that Raynox..DCR-250 is suitable for lens with 75mm or longer distance...and what does diopter 8 mean??

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a tamron 90mm macro lens....and i did try to take some shoots on small little insect..due to its size i have to move very close but yet i cant focus due to the MFD is 29cm..
and if i stay abit far the insect look so small in the picture...so wondering...how do some people can manage to take those insect yet look so big and sharp??

What is the size of the insect ?

Read up the Q3, Macros and Close-ups FAQs

3. What is 1:1 Macro Photography ?
The image projected on the "film plane" (i.e film or a digital sensor) is the same size as the subject. On 35 mm film (for example), the lens must have the ability to focus on an area at least as small as 24×36 mm, as this is the size of the image on the film. This is known as "life-size magnification" or simply 1:1.

If the insect is very small like 10mm big, you need to add-on ext tube/closeup diopter to increase the magnification.

the insect is about the size of ant..maybe abit smaller...
Then try stacking close-up filters & focus manually. Takes lots of practice because it can be very frustrating ;)

so does it mean i can get the MSN-202 for my tamron 90mm too?

About this formula: Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

if tamron is 1:1 so after using DCR 250 or MSN 202...what will be the magnifcation??

I still abit confuse about this

If I'm not wrong, DCR-250 increases magnification by 2.5x. eg, if you're already focusing at 1:1 with your macro lens with a DCR-250 attached, you should be getting 2.5:1

If I'm not wrong, DCR-250 increases magnification by 2.5x. eg, if you're already focusing at 1:1 with your macro lens with a DCR-250 attached, you should be getting 2.5:1

erm...how much is that selling in singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.