Some Chinese New Year shot at Chinatown - need feedback


Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

New Member
Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
Hi Eric, we met before at the iphoto forum.

Here are my comments (from someone who is only 9 months into photography although I'm more than twice your age) :

The building in the first picture is grossly tilted and it doesn't work for me although you may want to portray a collapsing building.

There are some small areas of over-exposure in picture 1 (houses in front), 4 (left wall of the temple) and 5 ( the white banner in the front of the building) due to the high dynamic range of light in the scene. In such situations, I find that taking the picture a little under-exposed and then use shadows/highlight adjustments may be able to avoid grossly over-exposed areas (which result in a loss of details). Alternatively, you may use a tripod and do some exposure bracketing and then use "HDR merge" in photoshop to get a better combination of them for the right exposure.

In picture 4 (Hindu temple), there is a slight distraction at the top right hand corner. You may want to use healing tool to get it of it.

I feel that the 6th picture might be better in colour since there seem to be some colourful plants and flowers.

I like the yellow border/frame as it's very nicely and professionally done with the "spring" logo and stylish words. Overall, the photos are also nicely taken and I like pictures 2, 3, 4 and especially 8.
 

The Oracle

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
4,106
0
36
44
East Coast
No 2 is the best! I dont really like the No.1 cos it is slanted. No offence! Jus a comment from me! ;)
 

obewan

Senior Member
Feb 11, 2005
1,881
0
36
obe.homedns.org
All the above photos are very nice, especially the lion head shot.
The exposure I think is very good and I like your presentation of the photos. :)

Except #1 and #5 the slant don't work for me.

This candid shot amazed me how you manage to freeze the people with a shutterspeed of 1/5" (from EXIF info)

 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Watch your horizon(s).

Motion zoom images like the lantern dragons don't feel good to me, makes me feel queasy.

CNY shots should be happy ones, personally prefer the coloured shots instead of B/W.

Try grabbing unusual shots rather than standard subject centered shots.
 

Jinyuan

New Member
Dec 6, 2005
45
0
0
Yishun
I like the lion head's shot the best....seems like a postcard...Good work!
 

Clockunder

New Member
Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
For picture 2 (lion head), I have a shot on the same subject posted in this forum but at that moment, I didn't think of varying the zoom to take a shot like Eric did. :D
 

erickwan1989

New Member
Jan 5, 2006
299
0
0
Singapore
www.ekcpnet.tk
obewan said:
All the above photos are very nice, especially the lion head shot.
The exposure I think is very good and I like your presentation of the photos. :)

Except #1 and #5 the slant don't work for me.

This candid shot amazed me how you manage to freeze the people with a shutterspeed of 1/5" (from EXIF info)

i also not so sure i think is my lens
 

erickwan1989

New Member
Jan 5, 2006
299
0
0
Singapore
www.ekcpnet.tk
Clockunder said:
For picture 2 (lion head), I have a shot on the same subject posted in this forum but at that moment, I didn't think of varying the zoom to take a shot like Eric did. :D
why don't u post up here
 

pure_soul

New Member
Jan 12, 2006
12
0
0
a little blur at the old lady's hand of the last picture.

i'am not sure.
noob feedback.
 

Clockunder

New Member
Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
erickwan1989 said:
Some feed back pls
Personally, I think the zooming of the lup cheong and other CNY traditional food doesn't work because. unlike the lion head, nothing seems to be in the centre of focus.

As for the 2nd picture, I probably prefer it to be in colour.
 

Clockunder

New Member
Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
pure_soul said:
a little blur at the old lady's hand of the last picture.

i'am not sure.
noob feedback.
That's movement blur caused by the movement of her hands captured using a slow shutter speed.

I think it's ok because it conveys a message that she was probably say "No" to her customer by waving her palm horizontally or gesturing something as she talked. If her hand was captured as frozen, then the message is lost.
 

pure_soul

New Member
Jan 12, 2006
12
0
0
Clockunder said:
That's movement blur caused by the movement of her hands captured using a slow shutter speed.

I think it's ok because it conveys a message that she was probably say "No" to her customer by waving her palm horizontally or gesturing something as she talked. If her hand was captured as frozen, then the message is lost.
okay. hmm, i get it now. thanks.
 

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Senior Member
Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
37
Clementi
i agree with espn. CNY is usually a time of cheer and loads of colour. suddenly putting B&W into the mix doesnt quite cut it IMO. and yea, watch the Leaning tower of spore in the first shot. :p can straighten with PS
 

Status
Not open for further replies.