Some bird shots with the 40-150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Went to the Bird Park today to test out the 40-150 and at the same time try my hand at some nature photography. Also, tried out the FL-36 in FP mode.

Bird 1
P1290478e.jpg

Bird 2
P1290494e.jpg

Bird 3
P1290512.jpg

Bird 4
P1290549e.jpg

Bird 5
P1290560e.jpg

All in all, very impressed with the lens and the flash. Exposures with the flash were great! Very easy to use!

Hi EvilMerlin,

I do like the flash effect on Birdies 1, 2 & 5, soft & barely a hint of artificial illumination.

Thanks for sharing !

Oops! Should have been clearer! Only 2 and 3 have flash, the rest were all either handheld or with a tripod. Sorry about that!

Those birds in Pic 2 won't stay still long enough for a 1/100 shot without causing movement blur while the bird in pic 3 was in a pretty dark enclosure, no choice but to use flash.

The distance to the subject counts alot I guess. I was experimenting by moving further away and then zooming in so that the flash won't blow the image(or scare the birds away!) Still pretty haphazard, if anybody got a better idea, I'll be very interested to know!

Evilmerlin said:
Oops! Should have been clearer! Only 2 and 3 have flash, the rest were all either handheld or with a tripod. Sorry about that!

Those birds in Pic 2 won't stay still long enough for a 1/100 shot without causing movement blur while the bird in pic 3 was in a pretty dark enclosure, no choice but to use flash.

The distance to the subject counts alot I guess. I was experimenting by moving further away and then zooming in so that the flash won't blow the image(or scare the birds away!) Still pretty haphazard, if anybody got a better idea, I'll be very interested to know!

Hi EvilMerlin,

Hahahaha ... I'm laughing at myself. I can hear the cackling of birds & the circling of vultures :)

pardon me asking this q,
in FL36, wat's the diff bet. TTL and FP TTL?
thx in adv.

p/s: nice shot btw

wizardboy007 said:
pardon me asking this q,
in FL36, wat's the diff bet. TTL and FP TTL?
thx in adv.

p/s: nice shot btw

FP-TTL will allow the flash & the camera to sync above 1/160 sec, whereas the TTL will sync up till 1/160

hope this helps

And do it all in in auto mode, just set the Shutter Speed on camera and the flash handles the rest.

But as can be seen in some of the photos, you still need to judge for yourself how far away you need to be in order to prevent blowing out the photo.

Evilmerlin said:
And do it all in in auto mode, just set the Shutter Speed on camera and the flash handles the rest.

But as can be seen in some of the photos, you still need to judge for yourself how far away you need to be in order to prevent blowing out the photo.

If u are too close the wide panel might help.
;)

thx guys.
wide panel is a.k.a those omni bounce? to soften the flash?

chii said:
If u are too close the wide panel might help.
;)

Damn! I never realised that the FL-36 had that! Err...what does it do ah?

@Wizardboy007
Its a panel that you can pull out from the flash and cover the front.

Evilmerlin said:
Damn! I never realised that the FL-36 had that! Err...what does it do ah?

@Wizardboy007
Its a panel that you can pull out from the flash and cover the front.

yes i know about the panel. what i mean does it works something like those omni bounce to produce softer flash effect?

The Olympus FP-TTL really helps in such situation. I can still use flash with big-aperture, high shutter speed in such situation. I tested, and it really works with shutter speed up to 1/4000 sec!

This is fantastic, and I don't need to put on an ND filter for portrait shots with fill-in.

Such a high speed 'sync' is not available on other competetive prosumer range D-SLR cameras!

ykkok said:
The Olympus FP-TTL really helps in such situation. I can still use flash with big-aperture, high shutter speed in such situation. I tested, and it really works with shutter speed up to 1/4000 sec!

This is fantastic, and I don't need to put on an ND filter for portrait shots with fill-in.

Such a high speed 'sync' is not available on other competetive prosumer range D-SLR cameras!

yeap... luv the 1/4000 sec..

but u will still need a ND filter if u are shooting potrait with very bright background... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.