Some advise on SLR please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapSnap

Sep 1, 2004
Singapore
Hi, I have been using P&S and digital camera (currently using PowerShot A80)all my life and would like to try out SLR for a change. :dunno:
Would anyone give me some advise one what to look out for in a SLR? Budget is round about $200. Most definately getting a second/third or even fourth hand camera... Thanks!!

U mean film SLR, rite?

SnapSnap said:
Hi, I have been using P&S and digital camera (currently using PowerShot A80)all my life and would like to try out SLR for a change. :dunno:
Would anyone give me some advise one what to look out for in a SLR? Budget is round about $200. Most definately getting a second/third or even fourth hand camera... Thanks!!

Yes, film... if can get DSLR at $200 I also don't mind... ;p

you're a rare sight.

Do u want AF?

AF would be good since I've never had to do MF all my life... Hopefully something that comes with auto features that I can turn off for experiments... I was thinking of bring my A80 along for the trip to do a "preview" before I snap using the film camera...

since you use canon a80 and IF you want to stick with canon,

canon500/500n less than $200 (body alone)

If you up it to $250 to $300

eos300 body alone.

IMHO, forget the kit lens and get a 50mm f1.8.

Happy hunting

SnapSnap said:
AF would be good since I've never had to do MF all my life... Hopefully something that comes with auto features that I can turn off for experiments... I was thinking of bring my A80 along for the trip to do a "preview" before I snap using the film camera...

MF ain't so bad...

i would advise u not to bother using ur A80 as a polaroid unless when shooting in an enclosed environment. Due to weather, by the time u transfer settings over shooting conditions might have changed. It just needs a passing cloud to block the sun & u will have to reset.

Furthermore, I've learnt recently (me digicam idiot) prosumers cant reach high aperture stops eg. 16, 22, 32. U lose a lot of flexibility there which slrs give.

Just go with the film cam, Learn Fast. :D

foxtwo said:
MF ain't so bad...

i would advise u not to bother using ur A80 as a polaroid unless when shooting in an enclosed environment. Due to weather, by the time u transfer settings over shooting conditions might have changed. It just needs a passing cloud to block the sun & u will have to reset.

Furthermore, I've learnt recently (me digicam idiot) prosumers cant reach high aperture stops eg. 16, 22, 32. U lose a lot of flexibility there which slrs give.

I do beg to differ...a very seasoned A80 user should be able to change his settings quickly and efficiently to take a shot..

foxtwo said:
MF ain't so bad...

Hee~! foxtwo wanna flexibility huh? Go to medium format lah!! f64!! ;p

Snowcrash, thanks!! I don't need to stick to Canon... if you have any other suggestions please bring them on!

foxtwo, you are right... A80 can only do f2.8 to f8.0... If so, I may need something with auto-metering as well... hmmm... I see the price going up... :(

The_Cheat said:
Hee~! foxtwo wanna flexibility huh? Go to medium format lah!! f64!! ;p

stay within the range lah, cheat :kok: fox Ur minolta slr sets sold liao? Snapsnap, u can ask cheat regarding minolta slrs. they come cheap i see.

djchris said:
I do beg to differ...a very seasoned A80 user should be able to change his settings quickly and efficiently to take a shot..

hahah. yes of cos on a cam one is seasoned with it would be quick. I was refering to when he has to dial in settings on the slr.

:cheers:

Hmmm... I heard minoltas are very light and may have a lot of shakes... is that true? If not, I could get a something that is cheaper as developing the film will cost me a lot later... :D

SnapSnap said:
Hmmm... I heard minoltas are very light and may have a lot of shakes... is that true? If not, I could get a something that is cheaper as developing the film will cost me a lot later... :D

Light? Well, it depends on which model you are looking at. If you are looking at the Minolta Dynax 9, well, you would give up holding onto it after an hour!! :bsmilie: Then again, the Dynax 9 is retailing at around 2.4k in local shops! :D

Anyway, with your budget, the cameras would bound to be light... unless you are looking at super old models. For example, the Dynax 5xi ain't really a light camera. I mean, even I find that it's quite comfortable for my hand... Oh! Forgot to mention this: my hands are BIG! :D

Similarly, the EOS500, an older model, is heavier than EOS300, the newer model.

foxtwo said:
stay within the range lah, cheat :kok: fox Ur minolta slr sets sold liao? Snapsnap, u can ask cheat regarding minolta slrs. they come cheap i see.

Range? Why!? Go and become part of the f64 club man! Aim to shoot pictures like Ansel Adams! Train up your trekking skills and go shoot beautiful landscapes with a large format camera!! ;p

for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...

SnapSnap said:
dun think so lah, recently had a chance to try out dynax 7 with 100-300 F4 lens, the weight is heavy, but not too heavy to wear u down that fast

u might wanna consider slr that have metering (almost all got metering ;P), type of metering, AF, speed of AF, cable release option, multiple exposure and most important is how well it fits your hand.

btw, me selling a F60 ;p

quekky said:
for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...

Huh? :bigeyes: I blur blur already...

SnapSnap said:
Huh? :bigeyes: I blur blur already...

something to do with depth of field :)

if the aperture is not small enough, some of the light coming from further away will result in blurness...

actually, i don't have the necessary vocab to describe it ... sorry :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.