Some advise on SLR please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Cheat said:
Range? Why!? Go and become part of the f64 club man! Aim to shoot pictures like Ansel Adams! Train up your trekking skills and go shoot beautiful landscapes with a large format camera!! ;p

quekky said:
for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...

mai OT lah! :angry:

SnapSnap said:
Huh? :bigeyes: I blur blur already...

Haa~! Ignore our posts on the f-stops thingie, and you won't be blur lor. 35mm SLR quite standard one... f-stop at most can reduce to f32 lor! As for the biggest it can open, will depend on the lens. :D

Things to consider for selecting an SLR (not exhaustive though):
- ease of operation
- weight
- size
- lens compatibility
- metering
- autofocus speed
- functions (like multiple-exposure, auto-bracketing)
- cost
- asthetics

With a budget of $200. very hard to get mid range SLR.

Eos 500 - I got mine at $120 sometime back

get a 50mm f1.8 lens. ard $130 2nd hand.

Total:$250 still over :(

Search for thread I started years back asking for eos66 or nikon f65. Maybe that will help you select a slr.

quekky said:
for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...

I'm curious, do they need F22 plus camera movements to achieve maximum DOF? I recently read articles on T&S lenses on 35mm to give max dof even though the aperture wasn't stopped down....

Alvin

SnapSnap said:
Hi, I have been using P&S and digital camera (currently using PowerShot A80)all my life and would like to try out SLR for a change. :dunno:
Would anyone give me some advise one what to look out for in a SLR? Budget is round about $200. Most definately getting a second/third or even fourth hand camera... Thanks!!

If you want, I can sell u my Nikon F90 really cheap. Not 200 but a bit more. Check my post in buy/sell under jamestan.

Or u can SMS me at 97481495. Thanks :) ;)

I think its difficult to get a current day film slr with a budget of 200. But I did see a Cosina manual focus SLR @ Cash Converters jurong east for about S$150, but you want AF right? I did see quite alot of SLR bodies there, 1 or 2 generations behind but didn't check out their prices - i'm heading backwards nowadays to stuff not needing batteries lol.

My recommendation would be a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5 body, and with the kit 28-80 or a 50mm/1.7 - it's really light and my sister uses it for her lessons. And enjoying it. CR2s with the kit lens can last awhile, if you aren't using the onboard flash.

Reason? For the price, you get 1/4000 shutter (1/125 flash sync), spot metering, metal lens mount and built-in support for wireless flash, if you decide to get serious with film.

The key downside with this camera is the lack of flash compensation. I am not sure if the higher end flashguns can do it but my minolta 3600HS definitely can't. So that's one aspect I haven't tried yet (e.g. -0.3ev flash when backlit).

HTHs!

Alvin

alvin said:
I think its difficult to get a current day film slr with a budget of 200. But I did see a Cosina manual focus SLR @ Cash Converters jurong east for about S$150, but you want AF right? I did see quite alot of SLR bodies there, 1 or 2 generations behind but didn't check out their prices - i'm heading backwards nowadays to stuff not needing batteries lol.

My recommendation would be a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5 body, and with the kit 28-80 or a 50mm/1.7 - it's really light and my sister uses it for her lessons. And enjoying it. CR2s with the kit lens can last awhile, if you aren't using the onboard flash.

Reason? For the price, you get 1/4000 shutter (1/125 flash sync), spot metering, metal lens mount and built-in support for wireless flash, if you decide to get serious with film.

The key downside with this camera is the lack of flash compensation. I am not sure if the higher end flashguns can do it but my minolta 3600HS definitely can't. So that's one aspect I haven't tried yet (e.g. -0.3ev flash when backlit).

HTHs!

Alvin

Haa~! You forgot to mention that the focusing speed is one of the highest for this class of camera too! Also, Dynax 5 won the TIPA award for consumer SLR for 2002. Definitely a superb camera.

I can attest to that, since I'm selling mine... :D

The_Cheat said:
Haa~! You forgot to mention that the focusing speed is one of the highest for this class of camera too! Also, Dynax 5 won the TIPA award for consumer SLR for 2002. Definitely a superb camera.

I can attest to that, since I'm selling mine... :D

Your dynax 5 will sell like hot cake at $200 :)

I sold mine as I move to canon :)

Still miss it size and spot metering for travel uses.

Thanks for the suggestions...

One more questions about Minolta... Since it merged with Konica, will there be any support issues?

I am trying to decide between a Nikon F60, a Minolta dynax 500si and a Minolta 404si... any non-bias comments on these three cameras?

SnapSnap said:
Thanks for the suggestions...

One more questions about Minolta... Since it merged with Konica, will there be any support issues?

I am trying to decide between a Nikon F60, a Minolta dynax 500si and a Minolta 404si... any non-bias comments on these three cameras?

Go to www.photozone.de to see a comparison between the different SLR. That might give you a better idea! :D

Thank you ALL for your advice!! I've just gotten myself a Nikon F60 from a very helpful gentleman... Hope I can get to use it soon... :D

SnapSnap said:
Thank you ALL for your advice!! I've just gotten myself a Nikon F60 from a very helpful gentleman... Hope I can get to use it soon... :D

hmm.. if u need further help wif ur f60, go look for that helpful gentleman :thumbsup:

;p

foxtwo said:
hmm.. if u need further help wif ur f60, go look for that helpful gentleman :thumbsup:

;p

Yar! foxtwo will personally ensure that the helpful gentleman will go all the way to assist you. Hee hee~! :D

The_Cheat said:
Yar! foxtwo will personally ensure that the helpful gentleman will go all the way to assist you. Hee hee~! :D

wah liao... y make it sound as though i know the fella who sold it. :p The cheat can assist also mah.

Status
Not open for further replies.