Some advice for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumokon

May 16, 2007
Singapore, Redhill
I am to DSLR and recently I bought myself a Nikon D80 with 18-135mm kit lens. Still "playing with its functions" and glued to it. Haha. I will be planning a short trip in HK, so any advance on the lens to use, is my kit len sufficient enough just to do walking-around shooting? Pls advice thanks.:)

yes enough, but it depends on what you want to shoot
i will be going to HK too, with my 18-70 and a 105 macro

Hi sumokon

The lense is sufficient.
If you like to take scenry, you can consider Nikon 12-24mm or Sigma 10-20mm.

Thanks King Tiger,

Do you know the price for the Nikon 12-24mm? If I am to use my kit len for night scene shoot, am I able to? I am so excited about shooting pix now. Haha...
Pls advice! ;)

yes enough, but it depends on what you want to shoot
i will be going to HK too, with my 18-70 and a 105 macro

Wow, maybe can get to see your pics when you are back. I will sure to post mine as well,but will be late sept. And pls advice me on my pics, as to me its always great to get comments good or bad one...cause the learning paths never endsss....

Thanks King Tiger,

Do you know the price for the Nikon 12-24mm? If I am to use my kit len for night scene shoot, am I able to? I am so excited about shooting pix now. Haha...
Pls advice! ;)

IIRC $1400++ or more

upwards of $1000 for second hand more for first hand. for vacation, your lens is adequate. in fact, if you only do streets and the occasional landscapes, that lens is sufficient for your needs. don't be so eager to buy new lens. no point.

upwards of $1000 for second hand more for first hand. for vacation, your lens is adequate. in fact, if you only do streets and the occasional landscapes, that lens is sufficient for your needs. don't be so eager to buy new lens. no point.

Thanks skopio! True! As I am still new to DSLR, should not be too eager first. Okay, I shall bring back "hopefully" nice shots with my kit len and share with u guys. And pls comments! Haha...HK, here I come! :D

Wow, maybe can get to see your pics when you are back. I will sure to post mine as well,but will be late sept. And pls advice me on my pics, as to me its always great to get comments good or bad one...cause the learning paths never endsss....

from my last trip to HK with only my 18-70

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186453

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186426

i used a SLIK table pod for the long exposures, bring some form of tripod/beanbag/table pod
you won't regret

Just to add in my 'experience'.

Since you are new, your present lens should serve your purposes, unless this is your 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip with special occasion.

I have high regard for king tiger advices here, but for once, I differ. The wide angle, 12-24 etc, will be too 'restricted' for you and, as you admitted yourself, you may not in a position to fully capitalise the wide angle...

Maybe can consider the 30/1.4 or 35/f2 for your low light condition....

BTW, I learn it the hard way and spent alot of my sweat $$ on many good lenses in my dry box. (still dun know how to use them and getting lazy with the weight burden).

from my last trip to HK with only my 18-70

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186453

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186426

i used a SLIK table pod for the long exposures, bring some form of tripod/beanbag/table pod
you won't regret

Wow, thanks ortega! I think I got what u mean. I will not forget to bring along a tripod, I do not want to be regretted. Haha.... great advice! Noted!;)

this is what i used

mini-pro3.jpg

the disneyland fireworks shot was done on top of a dustbin
and another street shot was done on ground level

Hey fellow D80 bro.. I have just done a trip with D80 and took photos with kit lens. I feel the kit lens does a fine job. Just bring along a small tripod and I think u will be off with a great time snapping with ur D80.

Personally, my kit lens is serving me well.. from using it, I learn which are my preferred setup. Some go for telephoto.. some go for wide. Maybe one day I will have all.. but since $$ is limited (for me at least), I decided to start with 50mm f1.8 for baby photos (cheap but great portrait lens for indoor shoot without flash). I will want to invest in a nice wide angle lens soon. But for now, I still have to take fireworks with my kit lens. ;)

Cheers!

this is what i used

mini-pro3.jpg

So cute! ;p

Anyway.. ur Disneyland shot.. Pro man.. hopefully one day i shoot liddat.

this is what i used

mini-pro3.jpg

Hey there! Its a piece of cutie! Where to get it? Haha....it looks like me! haha...short and "bulky"! oops! How much huh? hehehe.....;)

Hey there! Its a piece of cutie! Where to get it? Haha....it looks like me! haha...short and "bulky"! oops! How much huh? hehehe.....;)

i think i got it from CP, a long long time ago, so the price would be different now
best to ask them
there is a manfrotto one as well
709Ba.jpg

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2211?livid=68|69&idx=72

18-135mm is a good walk-around lens! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.