Some advice for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask yourself, what kind of shots will you be taking ?

As for me, I bring my standard travel gears
- DSLR
- 17-40mm f4
- 85mm f1.8
- light tripod (SLIK sprint pro)

Hi Sumokon. The 18-135 is a good all-around walkabout lens since it gives you a lot of range from wide to zoom. Taking landscapes at 18 is already good enough. For fireworks and night photography, you need some kind of a tripod for stability. If you like to take pictures in clubs at night however, you need to get a flash. This lens is not a good lens for this kind of environment but with an external flash you get better results. Good luck.

from my last trip to HK with only my 18-70

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186453

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186426

i used a SLIK table pod for the long exposures, bring some form of tripod/beanbag/table pod
you won't regret

Hi Ortega

Very nice pictures you have taken. As I will be going to HK sometime in Sep. I would like to check with you on the 2 pictures; are they taken with the DSLR flash or with SB-800 or .....

Regards
htx

Hi Ortega

Very nice pictures you have taken. As I will be going to HK sometime in Sep. I would like to check with you on the 2 pictures; are they taken with the DSLR flash or with SB-800 or .....

Regards
htx

Dun think he use any flash.

Hi Ortega

Regards
htx

which 2 pictures?

non of them were taken with flash
camera used D70 with 18-70 kit lens

i am thinking of getting the SB400 as a small and light flash for travelling family snaps

Thanks King Tiger,

Do you know the price for the Nikon 12-24mm? If I am to use my kit len for night scene shoot, am I able to? I am so excited about shooting pix now. Haha...
Pls advice! ;)

Hi sumokon

Price as advise by westwest2.
You can get it from HK as the price there are more competitive.

Yes, you kit lense can also be use for night scene, but you would need a tripod.

this is what i used

mini-pro3.jpg

the disneyland fireworks shot was done on top of a dustbin
and another street shot was done on ground level

what do you think of this versus a bean bag?

Hi Sumokon. The 18-135 is a good all-around walkabout lens since it gives you a lot of range from wide to zoom. Taking landscapes at 18 is already good enough. For fireworks and night photography, you need some kind of a tripod for stability. If you like to take pictures in clubs at night however, you need to get a flash. This lens is not a good lens for this kind of environment but with an external flash you get better results. Good luck.
hi digisnap, I'm also going to India by next month. For sure, I'll be bringing my flash with me. For the night shots in bars and streets at night, what kind of lens should I bring along? I wanna be able to keep taking shots while moving around the streets/bars.

hi digisnap, I'm also going to India by next month. For sure, I'll be bringing my flash with me. For the night shots in bars and streets at night, what kind of lens should I bring along? I wanna be able to keep taking shots while moving around the streets/bars.

night streets with light, consider ultra wide angle with moderately large aperture (super large aperture may not exist). bar, i'm not sure cos never shoot before.

for bar i would suggest the 50mm 1.8 quite good but for really uber cool shots use a super wide like 10 22. very nice effects.

i am going bangkok in a few months and i feel for my club shots i will bring my pns cam. it will be a real hassle carrying a dslr around in a club.

keep the dslr for like everything else but bring the pns to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.