Some advice for a newbie..??

FallenJedi

Aug 6, 2012
Jurong West
Hi to all,
I'm new in this field and my past experience in photography is limited to taking pictures with my hand phone and compact cameras. I just had a look at the Panasonic GX1 and thought it was quite good. I'm more interested in portrait photography and would like to know if this camera is worth it. I mean will it give better results than a traditional DSLR ? I liked it for its compact design and good looks. :p :p But i would like to know about its performance when compared to Canon or Nikon. If not the GX1, then what other alternatives do you guys suggest.
Thanking you guys in advance...!!! :) :)

It would outdo a traditional DSLR if you're one of those who thinks a 41megapixel handphone can beat a DSLR or that an Iphone would render DSLR obsolete. For it's tiny size, the speed and quality its pretty nominal, you get what you see.

Hi to all,
I'm new in this field and my past experience in photography is limited to taking pictures with my hand phone and compact cameras. I just had a look at the Panasonic GX1 and thought it was quite good. I'm more interested in portrait photography and would like to know if this camera is worth it. I mean will it give better results than a traditional DSLR ? I liked it for its compact design and good looks. :p :p But i would like to know about its performance when compared to Canon or Nikon. If not the GX1, then what other alternatives do you guys suggest.

All DSLRs and mirrorless cameras will do well for portrait photography. Though with a DSLR you get better integration with external strobes and a wider lens selection.

Hi to all,

I feel that if you get your basics down, the GX1 is more than sufficient in producing good portrait photos. Concentrate more on composition, lighting and how to pose the model, those matter more than what gear you are using.

If you talk about the GX1, then why not look at the OMD also?

Hi to all,

You really need to define what you mean by "better results".

Generally speaking, the bigger the sensor, the better the results can potentially be. But a lot depends also on the lenses. But I think you get the drift.