Some advice and desperate help!

zimmy83

Oct 17, 2009
Bukit Timah
hey guys...

i have a 24-105L and was not careful and dropped the lens and the filter i had on cracked and broke but the lens was not damaged but the filter ring was stuck in the screw thread of the lens...but i managed to remove it but the screw thread on the lens is messed up now and i can't fit another filter in...was wondering if anyone know if Canon can get it fixed by any chance??willing to pay for the repairs...

regards

Ouch!

Depending on how badly it's screwed up ...

CSC will change the front portion/entire barrel, or you could try creating a false thread using a suitable epoxy compound.

If it were my lens, I would find out how much a replacement part costs and weigh the option of experimenting (since the front part of the barrel is condemned anyways).

OUch is so an understatement man...urmm paritally damaged but yeah will find out how much it cost I guess...any idea if such things is covered under warrenty?

I doubt it's covered under warranty. I dropped my lens 50mm f1.8 lens (Canon) at Starbucks last Sunday and the two glass elements broke apart! Now considering if worth to buy new one, or to repair ...

Anyway, good luck zimmy83!

OUch is so an understatement man...urmm paritally damaged but yeah will find out how much it cost I guess...any idea if such things is covered under warrenty?

Not covered.

I'm guessing between $100 - $200, but best to check with CSC on Monday.

Look on the bright side - at least the front element didn't get smashed, or the IS go bonkers.

Just a quick question ... when you tried to take the filter off ... was it very very tight? Then you forced it out?

I doubt it's covered under warranty. I dropped my lens 50mm f1.8 lens (Canon) at Starbucks last Sunday and the two glass elements broke apart! Now considering if worth to buy new one, or to repair ...

Anyway, good luck zimmy83!

the warranty for the 50.. f1.8 doesn't cover for the two glass elements? :bigeyes:

Can only advice go to CSC for this kind of repair.. Good luck !

was uber tight man...had to force it out of a pillar but like covered the main lens with a towel and like covered all opening cause didn't want all those small metal shavings from the pillars when gipping onto the filter ring to scratch the main lens...was tough to be honest!

was uber tight man...had to force it out of a pillar but like covered the main lens with a towel and like covered all opening cause didn't want all those small metal shavings from the pillars when gipping onto the filter ring to scratch the main lens...was tough to be honest!

I suspected as much.

It's probably a possibility to 're-mould' the threads using an intact rim and dry heat. I'm not asking you to do it, but just mentioning possibilities I would consider if it were my lens and only that part is damaged, and the cost of replacing the entire barrel or front portion seemed proportionately high for me.

the warranty for the 50.. f1.8 doesn't cover for the two glass elements? :bigeyes:

The warranty only covers a defect in materials or worksmanship.

It does not cover damage due to wear and tear, negligence, accidents and acts of God.