Solo backpacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbsup: Why not? I enjoyed it much much more than going with group of friends:bsmilie:

It's an experience of literally living in your own world e.g wake up anytime, sleep anytime, eat anything, eat anytime, go anywhere as long as you feel like it. More importantly, you can take your own sweet time to take photos:D

Anyone tried? If no one wanna accompany me, I'm very tempted to go solo backpacking

tried once, after which i decided that whenever i didn't like the programme on a particular day with a group, i'd go off on my own for that day.

works too. :)

Never did a trip completely on my own, but had extended my trip, or maybe spend a few days on my own while waiting for others to join me - absolutely loved it!

i tried a few times...but it all depends on where you are heading.
some countries are fun with friends..some countries are great being alone!

always wanted to. almost went once, but chickened out at the last moment. it's awesome i think, you make your own decisions and do whatever you want. go for it!

What a coincidence for this thread.

Made the (crazy) decision to quit job, planning to do backing packing from Jan to June (intermitten periods) next year.

For the moment, yes, but some friends have indicated that they might join me on seperate trips if the schedule fits.

have done (solo) it before in thailand for some times, but not in this extended manner. At the moment, plans still a bit sketchy. :)

Safety is issue for me. I don't boast that I know Penang well, had been there only once before.

almost every relatively developed city is the same, when it comes to the crunch

same rules apply, i won't worry too much about "not knowing any place well", some of my best travel memories involve walking on city outskirts feeling lost, or just finding a place i wanted to get to and walking thrice as long on a beach as i thought i would.

not sure if you are a guy or girl...
if you are a guy, i would say...what the hell, just do it.

when you are in the 30s like me, it will be tough to drop everything and backpack anymore!

i backpacked solo when i was 18 in europe, and i did not even have a mobile phone with me back then...and of cos, no internet access.

but then..that was the best part...cos i was cut away from singapore totally for a month!

go ahead, and enjoy yourself solo..

What a coincidence for this thread.

Made the (crazy) decision to quit job, planning to do backing packing from Jan to June (intermitten periods) next year.
If you made the decision to quit to travel, then don't waste it... Jan to Jun is too short! :)

grainpixel said:

when you are in the 30s like me, it will be tough to drop everything and backpack anymore!
Whether guy or girl doesn't matter, its still just do it ... :)

Whether 30's or 20's, it boils down to your passion... bcoz thats what keeps you going!

tried once, after which i decided that whenever i didn't like the programme on a particular day with a group, i'd go off on my own for that day.

works too. :)

Agree on this. Sometimes just want to walk alone for a whole day, but next day can back into the group (even small group) again..

Anyone tried? If no one wanna accompany me, I'm very tempted to go solo backpacking

I have tried. Was in Amsterdam, Belgium, London for solo backpacking. Some tips - if you going Europe, stay in hostel is cheap and safe. However... while the initial thoughts of solo backpacking is exciting and adventurous, that of a real man stuff... you will find that you rather have companions --- Why??? Esp when you see something beautiful, you wish you can share with someone there and then. Know what I mean.

Also, always on the lookout for safety - esp.. be very careful with your belongings esp. wallets etc and know where's the nearest police station, just in case.

As for me.. its once and DONE. I will never go solo backpacking again. I would rather have someone share the beautiful things in life. Its rather lonesome.

Hope that helps. Better tips ------------ Get friends along.

Last edited:

i backpacked solo when i was 18 in europe, and i did not even have a mobile phone with me back then...and of cos, no internet access.

but then..that was the best part...cos i was cut away from singapore totally for a month!

go ahead, and enjoy yourself solo..

Me a guy who just turned 30.:D

Anyway, thought I rather do it now than when I'm 60.

bro i always wanted to do it but i chickened out due to safety issues and i always need companion..but think next year i plan to go newzealand to try it out...solo backpacking...my aunt staying there so at least if anything happen, i know i can go find her...or she can come find me..haha

Status
Not open for further replies.