Solitude in Morib Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverik

Jun 30, 2008
I took this long exposure picture after being impressed with the work of Atta Kim. This was taken in Morib Coast of West Malaysia at 7:47pm.

The reason I took this picture is to depict a sense of peace, and yet with it emptiness.

The following is the settings used:

D700, 20-35mm AF-D, ISO 200, Manual Exposure 308.6s F/11 at 24mm focal length with cokin ND8-p156 filters.

PP done, only cropped the image and some brushing to remove the hot pixels.

I would like some feedback on the composition and general "feel" of the picture.

Cheers

3467811307_4e8fa86a00_o.jpg

this is a beautiful location, the colors are nice

exposure on what counts is done well.

why does it fail? your insistence to include the right side of picture creates a leading line leading diagonally from left, all the way out on the right. attention is not drawn where it is supposed to be. to add on to that, the same inclusion and framing results in mass of black trees on top right, it is so distracting!

what i would have done here, is to go down all the way to the water, and capture that block, along with the light. best if you can exclude the block of land in the distance; if cannot, it still might work. at the very least, you will have less to look at, and most of the time, less is more.

perspective, framing, angles are everything. think of how the elements work, this will allow you to have better results.

Took me one day to find out what went wrong with this picture.
Finally, I'd found it....the overly long exposure time had make the sea plus wave looking like clouds when we're on high mountain.
Originally, when long exposure time is used....its main purpose/intention is to show the fluidity of the sea/current/waterfall/liquid etc. but now it looks like cottonwool or a layer of dry ice. No hard feeling fella.

Last edited:
Took me one day to find out what went wrong with this picture.
Finally, I'd found it....the overly long exposure time had make the sea plus wave looking like clouds when we're on high mountain.
Originally, when long exposure time is used....its main purpose/intention is to show the fluidity of the sea/current/waterfall/liquid etc. but now it looks like cottonwool also. No hard feeling fella.

:bigeyes::bigeyes:

and what is wrong with that? can you explain further, i don't see your point

308.6 sec exposure...equals to... 5 minutes and 8.6 sec. For a sunset scene, I felt, that might be too long. As this picture is taken on land and by the shore, byright, the colour of the sea water should be able to be seen, with some reflection of the sunset on it.

308.6 sec exposure...equals to... 5 minutes and 8.6 sec. For a sunset scene, I felt, that might be too long. As this picture is taken on land and by the shore, byright, the colour of the sea water should be able to be seen, with some reflection of the sunset on it.
this is in reply to last post, or some new fangled idea that is a separate point? :dunno:

are you basing this on experience for carrying out long exposures, on experience of looking at many long exposure pictures, or pure postulation?

by the way, look at this photo, is what you say necessarily true?

Last edited:
I can't tell how hazardous it is, but the composition might be strengthened if you were to venture closer to the stone structure (near the water edge) and isolate it. It'll eliminate a lot of other distractions.

As for the point of the exposure being overly long, and the water turning "milkly", i think its an intended and (personally) a nice calming effect.

this is in reply to last post, or some new fangled idea that is a separate point? :dunno:

are you basing this on experience for carrying out long exposures, on experience of looking at many long exposure pictures, or pure postulation?

by the way, look at this photo, is what you say necessarily true?

that pic as you refers to is a 100 sec exposure....one third of this one, and as I'd mention, there are details of water, and reflection of sky.
Bracketing...as now one of the common built-in features of most camera, its purpose is to let photographer have a choice of the " optimum " result, and to further stretch it...bracketing has seem to be not enough or ideal....next come the HDRI.

As I had always respect the final decision of the author/artist who produce this picture, he/she has got the final say over what is right or wrong during the time of taking the picture.

Both or all as viewers, we only express/share and contribute our opinion and ideas to this photograph.

Last edited:
that pic as you refers to is a 100 sec exposure....one third of this one, and as I'd mention, there are details of water, and reflection of sky.
Bracketing...as now one of the common built-in features of most camera, its purpose is to let photographer have a choice of the " optimum " result, and to further stretch it...bracketing has seem to be not enough or ideal....next come the HDRI.

As I had always respect the final decision of the author/artist who produce this picture, he/she has got the final say over what is right or wrong during the time of taking the picture.

Both or all as viewers, we only express/share and contribute our opinion and ideas to this photograph.
let me tell you that beyond a certain amount of time, at this distance, it doesn't matter, what matters is how still the water is. you say there is reflection of sky? looks like you are selectively color blind, the water is all brown, but there is blue in the sky. in which case, there is blue in the sky here, so the water is blue. as long as one color tallies it is a fair reflection for you... or do you just insist on double standards to further your own point?

anyways, time for you to play with some long exposures, it is one thing to spout opinions, but another thing to profess inexistant technical knowledge founded on nothing, it seems, but castle in the air theories of your own. if you had done this elsewhere but critique corner i would not have bothered, but it is not right to give people the wrong knowledge just to satisfy your own innate desires to appear knowledgeable.

do you know what you have suggested with all your critique?

that threadstarter can produce a reflection where there is going to be none, and somehow, in this picture, i doubt he has deliberately manipulated colors of water, but you have suggested that he has done so, for some obscure reason known only to yourself.

sci·o·lism
n.
A pretentious attitude of scholarship; superficial knowledgeability.

Last edited:
chill folks.. each can have their own preference I guess. some may like smooth water and some doesn't. its up to TS to decide which style suits him best. right?

i have no issue with the smoothen out sea surface but i guess cabbySHE have some valid pts as well. The sea surface should have a orange reflection of the sunset lighting.

the execution for this pic is very good. but composition wise, there are rooms for improvement. like what night86mare mentioned, the tree on the right should not be in the pic as its rather distracting. the platform in the centre looks like a more interesting foreground i felt. you could have gone down and use the platform as the foreground. it could be dangerous... but no pain no gain.

i remember i almost fell and slide down when going over the barriers at labrador park too. good thing i landed on my bum. haha. :)

good effort.

i would love the picture to be more focussed on the stone structure extended into the waters. but if it works for you. then you done a good job.

OT: if there is any personal issues with the conflicting ideas/issues. take it to the pm. im sure the holier-than-thou attitude is not appreciated here.

The sea surface should have a orange reflection of the sunset lighting.
let me explain my contention with the posts made by cabbySHE.

yes, preferences are to each his own, i am not disputing some people dislike smooth water. but reasons given have to be logical, and technical aspects, that is something we can agree what is right and wrong.

if you say, it will be nicer, with orange reflection, i will not disagree.

saying that somehow, the 300 second exposure made the orange reflection disappear, or that something could have been done... well that is another thing altogether..

link1
link2
link3
link4

if there is too much water movement, you will get general color of sky (which is bluish here as far as i can see), but not everything.

OT: if there is any personal issues with the conflicting ideas/issues. take it to the pm. im sure the holier-than-thou attitude is not appreciated here.

oh? so if i told you that you could turn your dslr on by banging it on the table, you would smile sweetly and tell me that yes, it was a difference in opinion?

missing the point here.

if only eikin was still around, the amount of atrotious comments flying around critique corner would have been cut down a lot. the imparting of incorrect facts and technical knowledge is a very dangerous thing, you just end up misleading people when you know nothing but pretend to playact at it.

Last edited:
oh? so if i told you that you could turn your dslr on by banging it on the table, you would smile sweetly and tell me that yes, it was a difference in opinion?

missing the point here.

if only eikin was still around, the amount of atrotious comments flying around critique corner would have been cut down a lot. the imparting of incorrect facts and technical knowledge is a very dangerous thing, you just end up misleading people when you know nothing but pretend to playact at it.
any issues. take it to the PM.

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

First of all, there were plenty of constraints that left me with limited options on the composition. I had to find a subject for the picture, and the only thing that was available was that slab of concrete block which happens to be some sort of sewerage/drainage pipe into the straits of malacca. As for getting closer, it was not possible due to the big waves splashing onto the concrete cubes.

There wasn't much processing done to the picture other than increasing the exposure by 1/2 stop and cropping it. Night86mare is correct, the seawater appears blue in color due to the long exposure method, where the sky's tone and color was reflected on the water and duly captured. As for why there wasn't much of sunset colors in the picture, this picture was shot at 7:47pm, not much sunlight by then actually. PLenty of mossies!! :)

Hope all of you liked the picture.

Cheers

Sorry not to find fault with your picture...

the horizon is almost exactly half way thro... ( Hoping that I'm not so blur this time. ):bsmilie:

nicely taken picture... exept the tress, just like other people above saying, its like a distraction... should be taken with the full sky above with sea and stones below... im just a beginner sharing about my views... no offence... hope can go there someday... hahahha... keep going bro...

Sorry not to find fault with your picture...

the horizon is almost exactly half way thro... ( Hoping that I'm not so blur this time. ):bsmilie:

Hi, what do you suggest then? :)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.