Solitude Butterfly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosty

Jul 28, 2007
Kovan
2269463600_b09e767afe.jpg

It's been quite some time since i used the critic corner. well here goes.

Here's a heavily edited photo i took from Botanic Gardens. actually, i wanna ask for C&C on the cropping, on whether is this better compared to one with a large black bground n landscape crop. i'll post the another cropped version when i get home :)

Camera: Canon Powershot S5IS
the EXIF i cant rmb. :p (cause im doing this from school, too bored)

cropping aside, first, your subject, a butterfly is very different from humans, the play of shadow is usually not very advisable for insect photography

there is a tendency and human desire to want to see details. here i won't say for sure that people can't tell it is a butterfly, but angle taken is not very flattering for butterflies - usually head on or side on is best, or wing down when the wings are actually spread. the amount of contrast in the picture, due to either lighting and pp, or a combination of both render the details indistinguishable as well.

next, butterflies usuallyyyyy work better in color, because well, they are colourful. this particular wing pattern might be an exception though.

that said, to me, it doesn't matter how you crop it, because this is not an endproduct picture that i would keep for the above reasons. cheers. however, dof control and focus here seem good to me. :)

Good point there. totally missed out the beauty of the natural colours here :p
constructive comments :) thx!

Nice knight, but as mentioned, butts are better seen in colour even if they are drab looking in brown and white.

As for the shadow, it would be better if the shadow was fully shown on the leaf instead of partial where the club of the antenna and the right wing tip is cut off for the shadows.

Also, the side angle shot for this butterfly shows only one wing clearly, the other is not in clear view.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.