Sold 75-300 IS, intend to buy 70-300 DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinchuan

Apr 5, 2004
Serangoon
Hello,

I have reserved for a 70-300 DO.
But now I have second thought after reading mixed comments from dpreview forum regarding this lens

I like to know if anyone in singapore owns this lens and would appreciate if you could share your experience.
Also I like to hear your comment of this len compared with 70-200L f4

Thank you in advance.

Alvin

for that range i only know its too expensive =)

clive said:
for that range i only know its too expensive =)

I agreed. That is why I am having this second thought now. The reason I am thinking of buy this lens is because I expect the quality to be near 70-200L 2.8 (about the same price range) it is small and have the extra IS and 100mm very ideal for travel.

Now I am wondering if the result would be better than the 70-200L f4.

Alvin

I have not really tried the EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM, can't really comment on it. Sometime, I did own a EF 70-200 f/4L USM, but I don't like the color, a little warm, optical is ok, but not my kind... However, if you want a faster lens then go for 70-200 f/4L, otherwise for range, go for the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.

End of the day, test the lenses yourself, rather than believing on review by individual.

my opinion, take 70-200 f/4 if u have a budget take the 2.8 one, you wouldn't regret, u want the DO take the 400mm one

mmm...70-200/2.8L the colours are a bit on the cool side. which is wat i quite like :)

The DO IS telephoto is more for travelling, when carrying the f/4L or f/2.8L might not be very ideal due to their size. Weight wise it's not much of a discount. You're actually shelling out the extra money due to the fact that the DO means better optics than the consumer lens, but in a small package. You can't really compare it's quality with L glass, as it's different sort of glass used here. Canon says the quality is almost as good as L glass, but many have proven otherwise online.

The DO lens has IS up to 3 stops, if I'm not wrong. This is quite useful. Also maybe this lens can be brought into certain events which the ushers might shoo you away if you were using a big white cannon, as it's black and much shorter in length.

So you'll just have to ask yourself what is more important. Size of the lens vs cost effectiveness and image quality. For what it's worth the 70-200mm f/4L is probably the best priced L lens. Delievers stunning sharpness, excellent colour for a reasonable price, but is is a tad long compared to the 70-300mm DO IS.

Thank you for all your comment and advise.
I think for the time being I will invest in the 70-200L f4 to replace my 75-300IS. As for travelling I will stick to my faithful 28-70L until a new "70-300 F4 DO" comes along.

Thank You All

Alvin

No IS will allow you to stop motion... faster lens will.

This lens should be great for daylight though.... ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.