Solar eclipse on 26 Jan 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting, would like to see the photo later, will come back to this thread.

I am also interested to shoot Solar eclipse. Csers who has more info pls keep updating this thread.Thankssssssssssssssssss:)

Somewhere between 1000mm and 2000mm for 35mm format.
The mylar image was taken through a Celestron 8" sct, i.e. 2000mm focal length, while the black polymer image was taken through a Celestron 102mm refractor with 1000mm focal length.

Filters can be purchased at Astro Scientific Center at the Singapore Science Center, at least i got mine there back then.

Somewhere between 1000mm and 2000mm for 35mm format.
The mylar image was taken through a Celestron 8" sct, i.e. 2000mm focal length, while the black polymer image was taken through a Celestron 102mm refractor with 1000mm focal length.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:
Aiyohhh! Then I can forget about taking photos already la... my longest lens is about 10% of that focal length!!! :cry:
The celestron is a telescope? You own it or rent? Where can I rent or use telescopes and can I mount my dSLR on them to take photos??
Thanks.

Last edited:
IR filter? :think:

I have one of those "eclipse viewing" visors. One way I've seen on the news is using a piece of completely overexposed and developed film strip.

I'm thinking of trying the shadow casting, a la camera obscura method.

Don't ever use an IR filter. The IR will not be filtered and that's the damaging part due to heat. This is worse because you won't know what hit you. Get a proper solar filter for astrophotography use.

You can use exposed and developed silver based B&W film though. The silver will reflect away a good amount of solar energy.

Last edited:
Aiyohhh! Then I can forget about taking photos already la... my longest lens is about 10% of that focal length!!! :cry:
The celestron is a telescope? You own it or rent? Where can I rent or use telescopes and can I mount my dSLR on them to take photos??
Thanks.

The C102 was my personal telescope.

As far as i know no one here rents telescopes. But on the day itself you can head down to the observatory at the SSC. Usually the TASOS guys will set up and are kind enough to let the public look through their scopes. You can probably request them to let you take a picture through their scope, but you probably need your own camera mounting.

Alternative is to maybe rent a 2X tele-extender.

Don't shoot the eclipse.. What if your camera suddenly gained powers and starts teleporting to Russia or something like in Heroes :bsmilie:

In today's digital camera terms, you don't need 1000 or 2000mm. Just crop and use.

I mean, you don't really need to print a huge picture of a circular sun do you? :)

Thanks.

Make use of Live View function... if your cam has it (so sad i dont have it).

You can also rent super duper tele lens for that day... yeah!

Happy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.