Softwares for building websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2003

Nov 28, 2003
Paya Lebar
Another question for all :bsmilie:

I have just registered for webspace with clubsnap :vhappy: so I was thinking of setting up a website..

Any good softwares to recommend for website building for a novice...

Macromedia Dreamweaver is a good choice. However some may find it a bit too "pro" to use.

If you don't mind not looking "professional" MS FrontPage seems to be a bit more user-friendly. However it has a lot of rubbish embedded together with the HTML code that makes the file a bit more bloated and difficult to hand-edit.

If you're desperate then just use MS Word and save as HTML.

Or else learn a bit of HTML and use Notepad.

For the more advanced there's always scripting (Jscript, PHP) to help you build interactive websites.

frontpage renders the most garbage like html code that is bloated and full of unnecessary gunk..
-
macromedia dreamweaver and other such html building tools are just that, tools to ease the memorisation of html tags . they are really not exactly the same like "old school" software like vb/pb/vc/delphi etc

basically what you can do with dreamweaver, you can do with notepad and a helpfile. so its up to you to decide how much money you want to spend.. 8)

---
in anycase, real webpages are interactive, thus they use programming languages and a database backend.. most widely used would be php and mysql, others would be microsoft asp, .net , and possibily flash, coldfusion, weblogic, websphere

If you want something really simple, try the composer which comes with Mozilla / netscape. Though it is not as comprehensive as Adobe GoLive or Macromedia, it is very functional and you can create some impressive stuff with it. Best of all, it's free.

I personally don't like WYSIWYG editors, they generate bad HTML most of the time, and the more you edit, the more messy the thing gets. If you HAVE to use a WYSIWYG tool, use DreamWeaver.

Learn HTML, then code it by hand using a good editor like HomeSite. (Notepad works well too but it sucks as a text editor)

Regards
CK

:bigeyes: Might just try dreamweaver as my bro seems to use quite alot of that for his school work when he was back at Mass comm in NP. Thanks to all the advice...

I was actually thinking of using Frontpage but it seems to have alot of negative comments about it :nono:

Thanks

Or you could get yourself a free portal, like PHP-Nuke, and install that instead. Add Menalto Gallery to it and you've got photo sharing taken care of. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.