Software to recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

virus530

Oct 3, 2008
North Singapore
Hi all,

I am using nikon camera. I shoot in Raw 14 bit.
I am currently facing an issue here:
I uses Nikon View NX to do minor changes and I find to take a very long time to load the picture. For example it take me around 1 min just to make the first changes like exposure, sharpness and wb....I saw my frd canon load very fast so easy to do changes.

However I understand I cannot use their software as it wont read Nikon RAW.
I also uses CS as well but however they only let you load 1 picture at a time which I prefer to use thumb nail....Any one out there with any recommendation?

Hope to hear some sugguestion soon. Thank you in advance.

Try out lightroom2?
trial can be downloaded from adobe website :)

Try out lightroom2?
trial can be downloaded from adobe website :)

Does it work like View NX?I like View NX totally if not for the slowness.
BTW, does all experience the same slowness like me or was it just my comp too slow?

BTW, does all experience the same slowness like me or was it just my comp too slow?
all the nikon editing software are darn slow compared relatively to other softwares, but taking 1min is a tad too long, so most probably its ur com getting a little old + the sluggish software. :bsmilie:
another software beside the popular lightroom would be captureone from phaseone. imho not as feature rich, but the rendering is much better than the adobe(both lightroom and photoshop ACR)

Mine isnt slow, but I notice that it does consume a ton of memory.
Mine is using 321mb of memory right now, and 497mb of virtual memory.
My total mem usage is more than what I have physically, so my PC is running slow.
When things start to slow down, close your apps and open them again to refresh its memory, or reboot your PC.

For those currently using or thinking of using Lightroom, here's a little tip to speed up your computer processing speed.

The reason why Lightroom might be slow upon startup is because the software needs lots of computer resources to load the previews (aka blown-up thumbnails) of your photos.

Solution :-

When you first import photos into Lightroom, it is recommended that you select the 1:1 preview option. This will greatly slow down the import process.

However, this initial investment in time will pay off in the future when you subsequently load up your pictures.

This is because there will be no more time lag the next time you click on the 1:1 during post processing.

Yup lightroom 2....

was using CS3 with the camera raw plugin...
and was recommended to lightroom 2 by a pro...

and i am loving it!...ahahah

you might want to try a program called Tuneup S3. It has a free trial, uses Nikon's "numbers" and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Me thinking of getting Lightroom2 or CS4... is there all in there that I ever need for processing? CS4 better than LR2? Where's the best place to get and how much pls. Info/suggestions/tips appreciated. Thanks in adv ... :)

Last edited:
Me thinking of getting Lightroom2 or CS4... is there all in there that I ever need for processing? CS4 better than LR2? Where's the best place to get and how much pls. Info/suggestions/tips appreciated. Thanks in adv ... :)
simple, download the trial and try it 1st... cs4 is only required when you want to go into more complex editing

Two different purposes.

LR - cataloguing & organizing, and first round of little corrections and touch up. But nothing that comes close to what PS can do

PS - real touch up and manipulation, layers, masks and the whole gang. Yes it has bridge to do a bit of tagging and viewing. But nothing close to what LR does

For someone who has lots of pictures to sort through, e.g., 1000 shots/session, and shooting 10000 or more per year. Go with LR

For someone who needs to do big manipulation and modifications to individual pics. Go with PS

PS is in particular expensive - but both are worth it.

So to say, if possible, have both? Where's best place to buy? :)

So to say, if possible, have both? Where's best place to buy? :)

Yes of course - because they work together. Search for 'Lightroom and round trip' - they are tightly integrated.

Buying: Anywhere - Funan or Simlim

Thanks guys ... confirmed orders for both just now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.