Software to convert RAW to compressed JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelZhou

Jul 12, 2005
HoUgaNg (Any stalker? lol)
Hi all,

any recomendation of free software that can convert RAW ( NEL ) to compressed JPEG in a very fast multiple way? ( not opening one by one like photoshop hor ) Something like batch processing. And oh yes, i'm using Mac.

thanks thanks.

NEL or NEF?

If NEF, use Nikon View, it has a basic NEF editing capability.

If you want free, try rawshooter.

AngelZhou said:
any link?

hey, if you have photoshop you may want to try this:

Download the raw plugin from adobe (there are different ones though, download the one that supports your camera) and unzip it and paste into your photoshop plugins folder, then open in photoshop and save a JPEG.

AngelZhou said:
i mean NEF. I try my nikon 4.1.3 dun wan to open NEF T____T
4.1.3? It's already 4.4 (PC) and 4.41(Mac) have you tried upgrading the version for Nikon Capture? Newer NEFs requires the latest version of capture to open the NEFs (D50, D200, D2X etc).

Nikon View 6.2.7 can also edit NEFs.

wildstallion said:
hey, if you have photoshop you may want to try this:

Download the raw plugin from adobe (there are different ones though, download the one that supports your camera) and unzip it and paste into your photoshop plugins folder, then open in photoshop and save a JPEG.
That's provided the threadstarter has PS CS/2 installed on the Mac.

AngelZhou said:
any recomendation of free software that can convert RAW ( NEL ) to compressed JPEG in a very fast multiple way? ( not opening one by one like photoshop hor ) Something like batch processing.

It's not ultrafast (what is?), but you could use dcraw http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ (on which many other converters are based anyway). It doesn't generate JPEG directly, but it is easy to use in combination with another program that does. You can do all this from the shell command line. You can also find sample shell scripts on the dcraw site.

I've done a lot of batch conversions this way for creating thumbnail indexes. I'm afraid for serious results, there's no way around tuning the conversion parameters (white balance, curves, etc.) individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.