Software needed for photo editing?

TerHan

May 19, 2010
Yishun
www.sghuffe.com
Dear all,
being a newbie; can i trouble you to advise me on the software needed for photo editing. Is is Adobe Photoshop will do? what about elements? What is the must have software? :)

I know for video editing is Adobe Premiere Pro.. :)

Thanks and appreciated. :)

Photoshop seem to be the de facto software of choice for photo editing, not cheap though. Elements is a watered down version of its big brother, worth a look if you're looking to start things out. However, i would recommend getting GIMP, a freesource image editing software. You may download it from http://www.gimp.org/

Its really up to your preference and to what extend do you edit your photos. Maybe you can take a look at Adobe Lightroom. Its user friendly and has nice interface imho.

Thanks.. will check it out. :)

Its really up to your preference and to what extend do you edit your photos. Maybe you can take a look at Adobe Lightroom. Its user friendly and has nice interface imho.

Adobe Lightroom for RAW with Photoshop Element for everything else.... if you could afford Adobe CS... then CS will do both. I believe that if you are still studying.... can get all these under the student price.

I dunno about some but i find Adobe software all intimidating...i uses photoscape

Photoshop is the favourite of the majority, but it has a steep learning curve and a heavier price tag, though there are usually a small handful of functions most of us use for usual processing. You will have to do some good background reading on books or online tutorials ( which i find very useful ) on how to use PS. GIMP is a popular freeware powerful image editing software to pick up.

There are other softwares such as Photomatix for HDR / exposure blending. Certain plugins help to do other tasks like noise reduction etc.

ryan

I dunno about some but i find Adobe software all intimidating...i uses photoscape

Same here! lol I went for one Photoshop once and I was lagging behind so badly in the class that I said nevermind. Since then I use Lightroom.

PS gets my vote.
There's almost nothing that you cant do with PS.
Though some programs might be able to give better results (e.g. noiseninja for removing noise), PS will do just fine if you aren't a perfectionist.

The only downside is the cost.. :D

Wanna avoid paying hundreds of dollars? There are freeware versions.

The 1 closest to Photoshop that I've found is Paint.net.

Photoshop is the favourite of the majority, but it has a steep learning curve and a heavier price tag, though there are usually a small handful of functions most of us use for usual processing.

ryan

Photoshop is really exp and I usually use very little functions for normal processing.

It took me at least 2 years to familiarise myself with PS but its all worth it! Online PS tutorials are readily available as well as the conventional books. Mine is pirated software though thats free and works like original. Opps. :p

It took me at least 2 years to familiarise myself with PS but its all worth it! Online PS tutorials are readily available as well as the conventional books. Mine is pirated software though thats free and works like original. Opps. :p

CS don't endorsed pirated software

Yeap Pirated stuff pls go away....thanks

Well, I got it many years ago when I was still a student and back then I could never afford any such package. As of now, I've been toggling with the idea of getting an iMac with a whole Adobe suite so, no, I'm not encouraging any piracy here. Just saying PS is a very good tool.

Gimp is freeware that has similiar functions as photoshop.

Photoshop is the best out there.. and its the top and best not for nothing. thats why the price is also "wonderful".

Im surprised not many people know about zoner photo studio and only 1 person mentioned it. the interface is "copy" of photoshop though functionwise not so similiar. BUT Zoner has Curve control like photoshop. i played around with it quite a bit and was tempted to buy but the salesman didnt give me the info i wanted to know or convince me enough as he wasnt so sure of the functions. imagine standing at his booth during it show for 10mins for him to figure out how to use it ( and for him tosay that he sold so many and people call his office to buy.. sheesh). Back to topic..

Zoner is nice to try. check it out , it also manages your photos like picasa. so its picasa style+ photoshop style put together. There's a 30day trial for it so download first, interested to buy then buy. maybe this coming PCshow got sale like the last one then can head down and buy. no harm trying free trial. also , zoner also has a free version . check it out too.

try paint.net too. i love it. in fact the softwares that i used besides photoshop would be paint.net then zoner then gimp. paint.net is free too and the function is simply awesome. you have to try yourself :)

PS, photoshop also has free trial. if you find photoshop too expensive, try photoshop elements IF you are a light user

Last edited: