Software for printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwine

Jan 20, 2008
Hi,

Any kind soul can recommend any good printing software (freeware preferable) ?

I normally do a image resize in PS before saving as jpeg for printing using the Canon printer.
But i notice that the software tends to do some "resizing" of the image,
and the final size does not turn out as i intended.

eg.
I resized an image to 8x10inch (203.2x254mm) 300dpi in PS,
then extend the image width to 210mm by adding a 6.8mm border.
I am thinking to print it out on a borderless A4 paper, then cut the A4 to 8x10inch.
But somehow the final printout doesnt seems rite.

Is there any software that can print "as is" without any kind of auto cropping ?

Thanks.

When you are printing borderless, there will be a slight increase in size. If you want no size adjustments, turn off the borderless printing. Hope that helps.

But i notice that the software tends to do some "resizing" of the image,
and the final size does not turn out as i intended.
eg.
I resized an image to 8x10inch (203.2x254mm) 300dpi in PS,
then extend the image width to 210mm by adding a 6.8mm border.
I am thinking to print it out on a borderless A4 paper, then cut the A4 to 8x10inch.
But somehow the final printout doesnt seems rite.
Since your image is already in 8" X 10", just center the image on the A4 photo paper
and print as it is. You can then cut it after that.

Problem is when you added the border, your final image size is 210mm X 297mm. And
when you print it on A4 as it is, the printer will add the border and this make your image
smaller. If you print borderless, the printer has to over-spray and that's make your final
image bigger.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...appreciate all the inputs.

If you print the same file using Photoshop and other cheapo software,
will there be a difference on the output quality ?
assuming all the effects & color management are turn-off.

It's depend if you want color management or not. Some print software are not color
managed. Even if turning off all the effects? & color management in the printer driver, you
have to depend what info. the software are sending to the printer. Most likely there will be a
big different in color output.

Photoshop is color-managed where other cheapo software e.g. Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer and etc are not. There will be a difference on the output quality.

If you want consistency, you need an ICC/ICM printer/ink/paper profiles aware software e.g. Photoshop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.