software blur effect vs prime bokeh

dapao

Nov 6, 2010
With current editing software, it is reasonably easy to create blur* effect. Would you still get a eg prime len f/1.2 for bokeh for portrait?

*edited

Last edited:
With current editing software, it is reasonably easy to create blur(bokeh) effect. Would you still get a eg prime len f/1.2 for bokeh for portrait?

blur is not bokeh. bokeh is not blur.

bokeh refers to the quality and characteristic of the blur but is not the blur itself.

Software can imitate out of focus blur, but will take a great deal of work (and skill) to get it to look realistic. While you can just use a prime lens and get it done in a few snaps. Which will you prefer?

agreed with Daredevil123 . . . anyway i still prefer using my prime . . . :)

Are we photographers or digital artists ? :think:

agreed with Daredevil123 . . . anyway i still prefer using my prime . . . :)

Are we photographers or digital artists ? :think:

photographers FOR THE WIN ;):D:D

bokeh refers to the quality and characteristic of the blur but is not the blur itself.

Software can imitate out of focus blur, but will take a great deal of work (and skill) to get it to look realistic. While you can just use a prime lens and get it done in a few snaps. Which will you prefer?

bokeh is the light reflection or source that got blurred out creating aesthetic shapes on the background, so far i haven't see any software that can immitate that

bokeh is the light reflection or source that got blurred out creating aesthetic shapes on the background, so far i haven't see any software that can immitate that

It is doable. everything is doable. It all depends on how much money and equipment and time you are willing to throw at it. Look at pixar.

I have to say that your definition of bokeh is not so correct.

No, not correct. What you are referring to are specular highlights, which can help determine the bokeh characteristics of a lens.

Bokeh, plain and simply, is the quality of the out-of-focus area and how much it contributes to the picture (or detracts from it).

so even if you have buttery smooth bokeh, if it actually distracts from the subject, it's considered "bad".

Prime lens =)

mm. software one fuzzy blur only... good quality bokeh makes lightsources look very round... just my own interpretation

It is doable. everything is doable. It all depends on how much money and equipment and time you are willing to throw at it. Look at pixar.

i dun know the one i saw produced by software is very2 distinguisable(like someone put a blur filter on top and under the focus part of the picture), have to see to believe(one processed and one taken out directly of a camera with prime) ;)

No, not correct. What you are referring to are specular highlights, which can help determine the bokeh characteristics of a lens.

Bokeh, plain and simply, is the quality of the out-of-focus area and how much it contributes to the picture (or detracts from it).

so even if you have buttery smooth bokeh, if it actually distracts from the subject, it's considered "bad".

well in general i'm pretty much understand on that but when i put it into words i got blurred on how to compose it :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i dun know the one i saw produced by software is very2 distinguisable(like someone put a blur filter on top and under the focus part of the picture), have to see to believe(one processed and one taken out directly of a camera with prime) ;)

well in general i'm pretty much understand on that but when i put it into words i got blurred on how to compose it :bsmilie:

With enough money, you can hire a bunch of photoshop experts who will make it look real. No need software.

I using PSE, u using Bokeh2? Show us some before and after masterpiece. ^^
Have you tried Bokeh 2? It's getting better and easier. ;)